Sleep paralysis ?

Options
AsrarHussain
AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
Alright guys, I just wanted to ask if anyone has had this happen to them.

I get them very rare and when I do it is very scary. It puts you off sleeping. I once had this happen and thought someone was about to strangle me or someone was near me. I also had one when I thought someone was about to open the door.

It happens when I am very tired. I had it happen to me a couple of days ago.

I was just curious if anyone else suffered with it.

Replies

• Jordan1906
    Jordan1906 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I get this quite often. When it first happened I used to be scared to sleep but I'm just used to it now.
    No idea why it happens. I even stop breathing and have to kind of gasp for air after a few seconds.. can't move, speak or breath for what seems like ages but prob only seconds
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Yep. This happened to me so much in college i did a speech on it. If i can just... wiggle my pinky slightly, I can get out of it. It happens most often when I'm sleeping on my back.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds super creepy. Hope you don't live on Elm St.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I also get them. However, I'm lucky in that it only happens when I'm napping and not at night. It used to be rare for me, but now it happens almost every time I nap. I'll usually get stuck in a semi-dream state where I'm trying to move/wake up. I'll "wake up" in this state, but not be able to move and usually there's something freaking me out (it's dark and I need light, someone is at the door, I can't breath, etc.) It usually takes me several tries before waking up for real, and when I do wake up, I'm more exhausted than when I went to sleep. So I tend to not nap anymore.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I have had it happen, more often when I was younger. I don't sleep much anymore.
    I have had other sleep issues as well.
    I had "night terrors" when I was a kid.
    I occasionally sleep walk too, have done it my whole life.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it was sleep paralysis as this as the only incident I've had so I have nothing to compare it to...but...

A couple of years ago I was napping in my room while my fiance was in the living room watching T.V. All of a sudden I felt like I was in a half dream half awake state. I started to feel dizzy and as if I could not breath. Like I just couldn't gasp for air, I couldn't do anything, and I was trying to call out to my fiance but I couldn't talk. It was soooo weird, it felt so real and totally freaked me out!
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it was sleep paralysis as this as the only incident I've had so I have nothing to compare it to...but...

A couple of years ago I was napping in my room while my fiance was in the living room watching T.V. All of a sudden I felt like I was in a half dream half awake state. I started to feel dizzy and as if I could not breath. Like I just couldn't gasp for air, I couldn't do anything, and I was trying to call out to my fiance but I couldn't talk. It was soooo weird, it felt so real and totally freaked me out!

Sounds like a sleep paralysis instance to me!
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yep. Used to happen more. Dream I'm awake, eyes open, see room as I imagine it around me, try to get out of bed but paralyzed, then realize I'm in it but still can't move to wake myself up for what seems like forever but is probably only seconds, as others have said, evil presence in the room ala Exorcist demon. Sometimes even dream I'm awake and partially paralyzed, held down by some invisible force, slowly inching my way toward the door to escape the evil. Gnarly, dude.
  • Sofia_Garcia
    Sofia_Garcia Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Well it's my life! Funny I just answered a question on a fun game. What's your biggest fear I answer nightmares cus I was to embarrassed to say sleep paralises. I've had for many many years and all kinda of! From people in my room, shadows crazy evil things and I would be so scared I would not sleep for days went 4 days no sleep and was getting myself crazy! I though I was to honest and couldn't tell anyone was afraid. because I never. Had heard of this sleep disorder I got a major depression aí tough I was going cucu! They felt so real. So many stories I could tell you! Funny that I haven't had a big big scary one in months but it always happens and the only thing that makes me wake up is if I tell myself it's not real many times and get all my strength to scream it's so hard by if I try really hard I do wake up screaming! It's my bf curse!! Ahahah now his so used to it that he just takes my hand and say babe go to sleep you ok! When I realize I am ok I have to get up do something to distract my mind cus if I just turn nd go to sleep I'll go right into it again! It's my biggest fear! Sleeping and it's sad! And it's 1:43 in the morning and I'm still awake cus I saw this post and now I'm scared