Wrist not straight on bench press?

Options
I find my left side is ok when benching. I have trouble with my right side. My wrist is unable to be kept straight and not incline. I use dumbbells. I think it is my retraction of the scapula on my right side which is causing me this trouble.

The path does not seem right. Do you know any video for incline dumbbell which might help me on form etc ?

Replies

• jaycam1989
    jaycam1989 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I find my left side is ok when benching. I have trouble with my right side. My wrist is unable to be kept straight and not incline. I use dumbbells. I think it is my retraction of the scapula on my right side which is causing me this trouble.

The path does not seem right. Do you know any video for incline dumbbell which might help me on form etc ?

I can't use Bench press much for the same reason. My wrist does not align properly and long term, it causes wrist pain. I've switched to Dumbbell presses and have better results, more strength and most importantly, no pain.

Athlean X's video is pretty good for form and well explained.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=SHsUIZiNdeY
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Wrist wraps.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    also lighter dumbbells
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It possible you're gripping more in the fingers than the palm on the right side. Possibly how vertical your forearm is as well.

When benching with a barbell, use a bulldog grip. Practice with lighter weight for both barbell and DB and you can fix it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm not saying that isolating and strengthening your lower traps can fix everything, because that would be silly and irresponsible too. it can't fix death or taxes, for instance.

but i will say that if you think your wrist has to bend in order to compensate for an unstable or badly positioned scapula, then these are things where doing scapular-retraction drills on the cable pulldown tower has always turned out to be my own personal magic bullet.

supposing you want to try it: the point is not just to do pulldowns (although you can). the point should be just to tension your shoulders by starting with a 'hang' - which if you think about it is pmuch the same position you finish up in, with a press. and then just focus entirely on bringing your shoulderblades down and getting them 'packed' in a way that feels comfortable. holding in that position is good too, and i'd say it's more important to keep the weight light enough to let yourself feel the right muscles working, rather than going so heavy that your body resorts to whatever compensation patterns and muscles it has been using till now.