Gym Membership Prices

Options
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone can let me know about how much your monthly dues are for the following gyms?

I'm thinking about re-joining a gym and to find out any prices anywhere you have to actually go in and talk to someone and I think that's dumb. :tongue:

Lifetime
Anytime
Bally

Thanks!

Replies

• Vanessa414
    Options
    Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone can let me know about how much your monthly dues are for the following gyms?

I'm thinking about re-joining a gym and to find out any prices anywhere you have to actually go in and talk to someone and I think that's dumb. :tongue:

Lifetime
    Anytime
    Bally

Thanks!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I have a 24 hr no contract gym by the house. I checked it out and the fees were $27 a month.
    Also, I used to have a membership at the Y. I was on a scholarship and the whole family was in for $75 a month. But I couldn't keep that up.
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think it depends where you live.. I dont think those gyms are even here..I pay 19 at golds, but my bf pays 25 so we can have childcare... and my friends go to las vegas athletic club and pay 19... but my dad goes to 24 hour (since 1982) and pays like 8/mo..
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    yeah it depends where you live and which gym .... i pay 60$ a month
  • aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym but have been pricing some of them out. Lifetime varies depending on the level of membership you want(meaning what clubs you will be able to go to.) they range between $60 and $120.

Snap Fitness I believe was about $40 for a single.

LA fitness I believe was about $19 a month.

Some cities have comunity centers that are really reasonalble. about $20-40 per month.

It has been years since I looked at Ballys. I believe when I looked into them about 7 years ago they wanted a $500 registation fee.

I suggest going and checking out the clubs that are near you. Figure out what you like best for the cost. A lot of places offer a one week trial membership for free.
  • happenstance82
    Options
    I've found(around here at least) that the big chain gyms are more affordable than the small, locally owned gyms. I used to go to Shape Fitness(now called West Coast Women). It's a small, locally owned all-women gym for about $37/month(plus I had to sign a 2 year contract) A few months ago I switched to 24hr Fitness. It's $29.99/month(no contract) and it's AWESOME. When I knew I was going to switch gyms, I priced others around here too. Bally's was about the same. LA Fitness was a little more. Anytime was about the same. The Y was very expensive(only worth it if you plan to use it as a family)
  • rocknrollchic311
    Options
    I pay $30/month to belong to Fitworks.

Most places realllllllly want you to join and will give you a deal if you act like you are on the fence.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I was with Ballys for 5+ years and they just sent me an offer for $9 a month to come back.

Uh, I JUMPED on it! Yes I did.
  • Faith525
    Options
    Whatever gym you choose-READ THE FINE PRINT. Bally's has been involved in a number of lawsuits and after I had to deal with them, I saw why. They locked me in a $60 a month membership until the $2500 or so total cost of my membership was paid off. The only way I could get out of it was if I had a medical excuse from a doctor, or moved, 29 MILES AWAY FROM THE NEAREST BALLYS. 28 miles is quite a long ways to drive to get to a gym. Lucky for me, they hadnt built any bally's in Orange County, NY at the time so when I left Albany for my parents home, I was off the hook- but there was A LOT of paperwork, proof required, and calling on my part- not an easy thing to do. Afterwards it seemed everything was fine and then about a month later I started getting bills again. According to Bally's I had signed another person onto my contract. Now, I had never paid for another membership before but all of a sudden the company thought they had found a way to get more money out of me, so they pursued it. I contacted EVERYONE. The gym manager wouldn't do anything for me, even when I went to the gym itself. Finally I found the man who had signed me up for my membership and begged him for the district manager's information. He gave it to me under the pretense that I wouldn't tell her who had provided me with the number. Getting in touch with her required a bit of harassing but I finally got her to remove the charge. BALLYS IS AWFUL. I know this sounds a bit dramatic but I cannot stress how dishonest some of these large chains can be and the fact that no one ever seems to be paying the same price for a membership, is very sketchy. I belong to a Planet Fitness now. They have their enrollment fees and contracts but it is much much more straightforward. Their longest contract is a year, their most expensive monthly charge is $20 a month and since they are not run by body-builders turned business savvy creeps, they seem to have a much kinder reputation.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Lifetime was about $60 - and that was for the Gold. If you have only platinum available...it's more I'm sure. I forget how much though.

Balley's, when I joined was about 67.
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada, so likely have different gyms to you. I have joined various gyms over the years... World Health which was $60 a month (including sessions with a trainer) and the cheapest was Spa Lady (something like $20 a month if you signed up for 3 years). When my last membership ran out I decided I didn't want to do the gym thing anymore and bought Ripped DVDs for doing weights and took up running outside. I am going to join an outdoor boot camp next month and would personally rather put my money into a variety of things than in the gym :laugh:
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Definitely read the fine print! Years ago I was a member at Stroh's and they wouldn't even release me from my contract when I was leaving for basic. I mean, for cryin out loud I was joining the military... did they really think I was going to have time to be going the their gym? Not to mention there wasn't one anywhere close to where I would be going. My parents went and fought with them and finally just had to buy out the contract since the fight was still going on after I was at basic. All I can say is thank God for the free gym on base!! Definitely one of the very nice perks of the job.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yes a gym contract is legally binding. read the WHOLE thing. I had a 3 yr family plan 10 yrs ago. the 'family' went 1x each so i was stuck paying $75 a month for 3 years for me to go 1x a month....if I did that.

there are a lot of places with no contract now-that is the BEST way to go, even if $5-10 more than one with contract
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I use to go to bally with childcare it was 45 per month.
  • amycakes812
    Options
    Check out www.globalfit.com . It is a company that offers discounts on gym memberships through a lot of health insurance compnies and employers. When you put in your zipcode to find a gym, it will take you to a page to see if you are eligible. I think the majority of insurance companies work with them. I know Bally's is one of the gyms offered. I was able to sign up with a promotion they had to waive the introductory fee and I pay $7.95 a week. It was SO easy to go through them!
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You guys pay SSOOO much... they are all pretty much 19/mo here
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Definitely take the advice of acting like you are on the fence. The monthly fee and what is included is always negotiable and they'll do anything to sign you up before you leave. Also, if you know you are going to go the gym for the year for sure, some places have an annual pay in advance rate which is cheaper in the long run. Never pay an initiation fee, this is easier in cities with multiple gyms who are competitive with each other.
    The best gym I went to was a Premier Fitness in Toronto, don't know if they have those all over. Private boxing lessons and free spinning classes included (stuff I had thrown in on top of a reduced rate after looking like I was just going to walk out :) )
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I belong to the local recreation center. I paid $175 for the whole family for 6 months to join. The have step classes, zumba, yoga, bosu spinning and just about any other things you can think of. They have the weight machines and a basketball court and I pay $2 an hour for them to watch my 18 mth old while I go to the 8:00 am class which is step most of the time and but varies.

Connie
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I am in chicago.. The cheep gym here is Ballys 10-20 a month. I go to Xsport Fitness and I pay 31.95. That includes 24/hr, free classes, free child care, and depending on which location a basketball court. over that is too much in my eyes... Well too much for what I make. :blushing:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Our family membership at the Y just got raised to $62.00/month. But I can take all the classes for free. And the kids can go when they want. Well, we can all go when we want, but DH never goes... lol

Edit* We could pay by the year and it would be cheaper, like getting a month or two for free. But, since I pay for it, and I only work 2 days a week, it's not happenin'.