Tattoo

Options
I would like to get a tattoo when I have reached my goal weight.
Is that a good idea?
I am going to be loosing 60 pounds and that is a lot of weight.
I plan on getting the tattoo 1 month after maintaining my goal weight.

Replies

• ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. Our goals need to be something non-food related. I have three tattooes, all of which are unique to me and mean something special. Good luck on your weight loss and healthy new lifestyle.
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Any non food reward is a great incentive. Giving yourself at least a month of maintaining before getting the reward is even better. Good luck, you can do it.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I have three as well, the one in my picture I just got Saturday in memory of my dad. My only suggestion is that it seriously mean something to you. Other than that, have fun but be careful, tattoos can be addictive. lol
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    i was kinda thinking about it too, not how seriously I am thinking about it though, but I was maybe thinking about getting "210" tattooed somewhere to remind myself never to get there again!
  • kandire
    kandire Posts: 87
    Options
    I think if you want a tattoo I say go for it. It'll be a good reward and you will have some time to think about what you want!
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. Our goals need to be something non-food related. I have three tattooes, all of which are unique to me and mean something special. Good luck on your weight loss and healthy new lifestyle.

I agree ~ I am getting one when I hit my 50 lb mark ~ a little infinity symbol on the inside of my left wrist. To me, it will symbolize the infinite possibilities for me in my new lifestyle and it will honor my husband, who is a photographer, so it will serve a dual purpose for me!
  • JennyAmi
    JennyAmi Posts: 5
    Options
    That's a great idea!!! :-) I have a couple Tatts myself. However, I always give a few words of wisdom to people who tell me they want a tattoo.

1) Put lots of thought and consideration into What you what! DO NOT just go into a tattoo shop, point to a picture on the wall and say "I want that." Tatts are unique to each person and should represent something. I have a memorial tattoo for the babies I lost (I've had problems carrying pregnancies to term), I also have a tattoo to represent my days in the Navy that i got after bootcamp, I have a couple tatts from foreign ports I've been to.

2) Consider WHERE you want your tatt. Unfortunately there is still a stigma against people with ink. If you are looking for employment, or will be at any time in the future there are people who will think negatively or you because of your ink. All of my tatts are in places that I can show them off or cover them up completely if I so choose.

3) Check out the place you're gong to get them done. Make sure they open all needles and packages in front of you. Remember, this is going into your skin, if it's not sanitary you can get diseases.... :-(

That's the lecture I give to everyone LoL. I think having a goal other than just losing weight is a great idea! Good Luck!

~Jenny~
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Not having any tattoos, I think it should mean something special to you. Good luck!
  • MEMA5
    MEMA5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: COOL IT'S A GOOD GOAL..PEACE:smile:
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. :). whatever u get will have a meaning- ur weightloss. a symbol for yourself. u dont have to go all deep. tattoos are for enjoyment :) have fun with it
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    To expand on another posters tips:

Ask about their sterilization procedures, and if they do spore tests on their autoclave and if so how often.

Always, ALWAYS look ask to see an artists portfolio, PHOTOGRAPHS of their work. Sometimes these albums are stolen and people pass the work off as their own. Go to a reputable shop to lessen the chances of this happening.

You get what you pay for. DO NOT BE CHEAP. This is one of the last places you want to let price be a factor. If you can't afford what you want, save up. Don't go looking for a better deal if it's the artist you want.

Good luck and have fun! I hate when people say "well, how's it gonna look when you're 80?!" God willing I live that long, how my tattoo looks will be the least of my concerns, all my skin is gonna look a little funky, right?
  • g8rlex
    g8rlex Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been planning to do the same thing. :-) I'm down 75 lbs and I have about 30 to go... After searching for a symbol that would mean something in this whole weight loss struggle, I've decided I'm going to get a Koi fish.

According to Japanese legend, if a koi succeeded in climbing the falls at a point called Dragon Gate on the Yellow River, it would be transformed into a dragon. Based on that legend, it became a symbol of worldly aspiration and advancement.

Also: One of the primary reasons the fish is symbolic in Japanese culture is because it is known for swimming upstream no matter what the conditions are. These fish are even said to swim up waterfalls. This is viewed as an absolute show of power because they will continue to swim upstream as if on a mission. They cannot be distracted or deterred by anything.

This will be my third, and probably last, tattoo. I love tattoos but with my job, I definitely cannot have too many. This one will probably go on my right shoulder blade... still working on where I want it. I still have 30 lbs left to make that decision. ;-)
  • jett0206
    jett0206 Posts: 58
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses i really appreciate it
  • Keleb_DaWhiz
    Options
    Thats the exact goal reward i want plus i'm also losing successfully trying to lose 60 pounds as well......:)