Vegetarian/Vegan to Meat-Eater

Options
Hello!

I am a vegetarian and was considering eating meat again to help with weight loss. I have been a vegetarian for a little over 10 years now and so I am not entirely too sure on where to start. I've read that eating easily digested meat is where I should begin, like hamburger. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if they have any tips/advice on transitioning.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit not specific foods. Let MFP figure a reasonable calorie deficit, weigh your food and log everything you eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm an omnivore, but I'm curious as to how eating meat will help with weight loss. It really doesn't matter either way for weight loss.

I've had friends transition back to being omnivorous...don't know the specifics, but they introduced meat pretty slowly...not sure if it was any specific type of meat...more like having meat once or twice per week and going from there kind of thing and in pretty small portions.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 5 years, (Im actually transitioning back into being a veggie) and decided I was going to stop avoiding meat at a party, I ate a steak, and was sick for several days afterwards. I highly suggest you add something that is easy to digest, maybe chicken?
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit not specific foods. Let MFP figure a reasonable calorie deficit, weigh your food and log everything you eat.

This.

Eating meat or not eating meat doesn't matter-hitting your calorie targets is what does.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from having a calorie deficit, not from the foods you eat while you create that deficit.

I've lost 90 pounds being an ovo-lacto vegetarian, and plan on losing 10 more remaining one.

Saying that, if you're still planning on transitioning back to being an omnivore, I'd stick with something easier to digest like white fish or chicken breast.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Eating meat is non-consequential when it comes to weight-loss, but a nice juicy rib-eye is good for happiness. :)
  • brandnew222
    brandnew222 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Is this a troll post? Why would you go back eating meat? What was your reason to being vegetarian in the first place? I'm sure there's no logical way to why you should go back to eat meat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Is this a troll post? Why would you go back eating meat? What was your reason to being vegetarian in the first place? I'm sure there's no logical way to why you should go back to eat meat.

How about personal preference? I'd counter with my opinion that there's no logical reason why I'd ever stop eating meat.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Exactly why would it be illogical for a vegetarian to go back to eating meat?

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

There's all sorts of (logical) reasons why someone might decide to no longer be a vegetarian. But, the op's stated reason doesn't make sense in terms of weight loss-op can you elaborate what your goals are?
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian and found it very difficult to hit my protein goals but I just couldn't eat meat, so I am now a pescatarian. Its difficult but not as difficult as eating meat in my opinion. I must say though that I am not as skinny as I was when I was a vegetarian but I'm more athlethic looking which suits me more than skinny, so it depends too with weight loss. Do you want to get fit or skinny? Personally speaking I wanted to get more toned.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

There are logical reasons...both of my friends that transitioned back to being omnivores were having difficulty getting meeting their nutritional requirements on a vegan diet. I'm not saying that one can't, but it requires quite a bit more knowledge and dietary planning.

In both cases, both of the guys were anemic and also weren't getting all of their amino acids or their EPA/DHA and were tired of supplementing with B-12. In one case, the guy went vegan because he had cancer and he thought that would cure it (it did not) and he just ended up being sicker because he wasn't getting proper nutrition.