Why is this time any different?

Options
I'm sure most of us have gone through the cycles of dieting and gaining weight so I'd like to see if we can each share a reason why this time is different than previous times.

This can serve as motivation either for yourself or someone else reading this thread :smile:

This time is different for me, because this time I am taking it slow. I'm not starving myself or depriving myself, I am eating 1700-1900 calories a day and focusing on slow weight loss of 0.5 to 1 lb per week. It is sustainable long term. Even 1 lb a week is 52 pounds in a year. I didn't put on the weight overnight and I'm not going to lose it overnight.

Replies

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think I've just finally realized I have to permanently change how much I eat.

In the past, I would go on 'diets' and then afterwards I would slowly resume old eating habits. Partly because I was too strict with myself and ate in a way that wasn't sustainable and partly because I just really couldn't let go of the idea that I couldn't eat as much as I wanted to.

I'm finally at a place where I realize I can eat what I want just usually not as much as I want and that's okay and I don't really need or want extra I just always think I do.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I finally broke the cycle when I figured out that diets don't work. Because 1. They are temporary 2. They tend to deprive one of many foods
    I had to overhaul my lifestyle. That's what works.
  • curvesfordays8907
    curvesfordays8907 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This time...
    I'm all in .. something just clicked and I left the old me in the past
    I'm being healthy and not expecting to lose 70 lbs in 6 weeks
    I've learned the art of balance in all aspects of my life
    I'm being real with myself and my journey, I'm allowing myself to have bad days, to slip up and to skip a day at the gym without feeling guilty or that the whole journey is blown because of one meal or one day.
    I'm allowing myself to feel. To feel happy or sad or frustrated or proud and acknowledge those feelings then move on to the next moment or next day.
    And most importantly.... I've fallen in love with taking care of my body. I love working out and eating healthy.
  • KeepOnMovjng
    KeepOnMovjng Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This time I've had enough and have learnt to say no, have occasional "treats" as a one off and one bad day doesn't mean the end. Plus to focus on myself not what others say.

I've gone from weighing 17 stone, being bullied from the age of 7 in each year of my schooling plus withdrawn, referred to as either starving myself, belimic or verging on anorexia when lost my first stone by people I hadn't seen for 4 months because they didn't think I could lose weight and then also verbally attacked by family for my weight.
    Down to 14 stone.2 and starting to feel confident in myself but losing it at that point as I couldn't get past the .2

This time round after family took control of my eating for the last time I've ended up going back up to 17 stone and when saw that on the scales something struck inside me to before.

The people who doubted me before and put me down have all left my life or I don't have much to do with them and when remaining family suggest unhealthy options I usually say no. I still have a few issues with family trying to derail me which leads to arguments but they seem to be coming round to the idea that I'm in control of my lifestyle now and as I do bulk meals for the freezer they tend to go for them rather than ready meals.

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    This time I'm learning how to eat out and go out with friends and still lose weight instead of cutting that aspect out of my life completely. I'm learning the balance and the reality that losing 1lb/wk is healthy and better in the long run.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    About a year and half ago I lost a good chunk of weight. Almost a 100 pounds. But then I screwed up and gained most of it back. Why? Because even tho I had the tools, mentally I wasn't prepared. Stress,anxiety, depression hit me like a bag of bricks and I self medicated with food and booze. Fast forward to some months ago. Bad stuff happened and because of that I stopped drinking and eating so much. I got help with depression medication. Cut loose a certain friendship that was dragging me down. I'm now back down almost 75 pounds, I'm at the lowest weight I ever been in my adult life and I'm still going strong. Tl,dr I have all the tools mentally and physically this time
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This time I'm a non smoker, have made real muscle strength gains by strength training for a while (so won't be skinny fat at goal like I was last year) plus this time there's only 16lbs to lose instead of 40lbs
    Next time I will continue to log log log!!
  • artanis50
    artanis50 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This time is different for me because I finally realized how my weight is impacting my quality of life. About a month ago, I was giving my 4 year old a bath. I am so fat I couldn't reach into the tub to wash him. That was an "ah-ha" moment for me. If I'm not willing to put myself first for ME, I have to put myself first for HIM so I can be around a long time to be his mommy.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    This time is different because now I know what it feels like and how effortless it is to maintain as long as I don't devolve into mid week binges. If those don't happen, I can virtually eat what I want, within about 1800 calories + have play and date days on Saturdays with my husband. I had no idea how much I'd really be able to eat, and still easily maintain in my goal weight range.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options

This time is different for me, because this time I am taking it slow. I'm not starving myself or depriving myself ...... and focusing on slow weight loss of 0.5 to 1 lb per week. It is sustainable long term.

This exactly!

Besides starving myself, over-exercising, unrealistic expectations, and being too judgmental of myself all contributed to past failures.

This time I'm focusing on a sustainable way to eat and exercise, and I'm working on patience and consistency.