LOW calorie vegan meals?

Options
I have gotten in the same routine of eating an apple with pb2 topped with oats for breakfast, a vegan egg sandwich for lunch and a rice bowl for dinner but I need new ideas!
The highest I will eat for a meal is around 350 maybe 400, thanks for any answers !

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah, ask Google, there will be a million resources.

From what you describe your day currently looking like it looks to be low in protein. So I'd recommend focusing on recipes that are protein packed (beans, legumes, tofu).
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have tons of protein, peanut butter and oats is protein, then theres protein in my rice bowl and sandwich, spinach, beans, chickpeas, avocodo, tofu, edamame, I use wild rice and sprouted grain toast.
    I have searched Google I just wanted to know other people's meal ideas
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Knives over Forks website has good meal ideas
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    .*Forks overs knives
  • beratfcinar
    beratfcinar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I liked the recipes here. My favorite is Zucchini Noodles

https://veganlifestyleguide.com/5-easy-low-carb-vegan-recipe/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    I like a smoked tofu sandwich on a taco-sized Ezekiel tortilla. I use some tasty mustard on the tortilla, layer some thinly-sliced smoked tofu on the tortilla. Being ovo-lacto vegetarian, I add some thin-sliced calorie efficient cheese on top of the tofu, but you could use vegan cheese or no cheese at all. Then I add some thin-sliced onions, and microwave briefly to warm the tofu and melt the cheese. Finally, I add some raw, unpasteurized sauerkraut.

With the cheese, it runs around 360 calories, and has 29.4 grams of protein. Without the cheese, it would be 283 calories and 20.7 grams of protein.

Another thing I like is edamame or black bean spaghetti or fettucine (any thin shape, because this pasta is chewier than wheat pasta) with a peanut sauce made from peanut butter powder, gochujang chili paste (or tamari or dark miso if a person doesn't like heat) and rice wine vinegar. Other seasonings can be used, too, like any (but probably not all) of Szechuan pepper, minced fresh garlic, minced fresh ginger root, chopped scallions, some toasted sesame oil if one has the calories. To that, add stir-fried or stir-steamed veggies.

Two oz/56g of that pasta runs around 180-200 calories and has around 25g protein. The sauce can have less than 100 calories, and the choice of veggies will matter but should keep a reasonable serving in the 350-400 calorie range.

Black bean soup with nutritional yeast and seasonings/veggies of choice is pretty filling, and calorie efficient.

Sometimes I make Winter squash or sweet potato soup, and blend in tofu and/or white beans for protein. A little heat (like chipotle peppers or powder) is good in there, maybe some pumpkin seeds or toasted sunflower seeds on top.

Black bean tacos are good, with or without sweet potato chunks or a little roasted sweet corn, plus any other add-ins you like. I'd use onions (maybe pickled), probably some cheese (dairy in my case, but vegan cheese is fine), maybe chopped sweet peppers, etc. I use a soft tortilla, either corn or Ezekiel.

You don't mention tempeh (unless you use some in your rice bowl). That's another food I use often, either in a sandwich or crumbled into soup or a pasta sauce.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Ann has some great suggestions! I eat about 500 calories per meal as a vegan, so I'll recommend what I think will be easy to scale down.

I'd also like to suggest chickpea salad. I personally like this one on an everything bagel with spinach, tomato, cucumber, and vegan cheese.

I'm also a huge fan of crumbled tempeh in pasta sauce with veggies (I love zucchini, bell peppers, and onion) served over a baked sweet potato. I've also been enjoying mashed potato bowls, usually with chickpea nuggets or crispy tofu, some sort of bean and a green, and brown gravy. I like making vegan parmesan with nooch and sunflower seeds and sprinkling it on top.

That's all I can think of for now, but some other resources for meal ideas (aside from Google) could be the forums here, following other vegan's food diaries and reaching out if you see something you're interested in, Pinterest, and your local library. My library has a ton of books on vegan eating and sometimes it's just a lot of fun to try out other people's ways of making things for a week or two :) Hope that helps!