Having surgery nervous about losing progress

Options
So I'm freaking out. I am having surgery on October 5th. I am so worried I am going to lose all my progress as I will be laid up for 3 weeks and can't work out the way I am now for atleast 6 weeks. Any advice on how to keep from losing my progress? I'm realistic so I know I'll lose some muscle ect but I don't want to fall off and lose motivation. Thanks!

Replies

• HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You won't if you set your MFP activity level to 'Not Very Active' then you'll go based off those calories. You will not lose your muscle as long as your getting your nutrition in .
  • marciecruz08
    marciecruz08 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stay in a small caloric deficit and eat healthy.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've been there, and unfortunately, I gained. Looking back, it was because I felt bored and isolated, and I gradually turned more and more to food for comfort. Also, I was taking pain meds that had to be taken with food, and I didn't pre-plan to work the extra snacks in. I also faced the challenge of relying on others to go to the market, and they just didn't get vegetables. In my case, I had a bit of depression related to anethesia (which no one ever tells you about) and that didn't help.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but just saying your worries are real and justified. Knowing that, you can try to develop a plan. Write out a list of things you can accomplish while you are recovering. Maybe do a fun online class or get back in touch with old friends. Get a few good books or maybe do some journaling or a blog. Maybe there are some old family photos that need organizing or scanning. Do your family history on Ancestry.com. Think of your down time as an opportunity instead of a sentence. Most of all, reach out to your friends often for company. I'm sure they will be happy to know how to help.

Before surgery, go to the market with the person who will be getting your groceries and teach them how to shop for you. Keep logging and visit the forums often to stay inspired. Best wishes for a successful, speedy recovery!
  • Erica_0419
    Erica_0419 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's great your thinking about it, your already taking action and being proactive. Honestly just watch your calorie intake and eat clean!!! It's easy to lay there and eat ice cream.. they now have Halo Top ice cream, a bit of a healthier choice if you do want to cheat one night! Lol anyways don't stress you will be fine. If you need to talk, you may message me. We could keep eachother motivated :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    Expect to gain some water weight while healing. Don't worry, it's temporary and needed. It'll drop off when it's time.

Please consider eating at maintenance (sedentary maintenance) while healing. I kept up a deficit after a mere laparoscopic gallbladder removal, and it was a Really Bad Plan. Fortunately, my body made healing a top priority . . . but I got fatigued and weak.

Queue up plenty of distracting activities,hobbies, movies, books, TV, etc., to avoid bored eating.

As soon as you're cleared to do some activity, do that, even if it's not your usual exercise.

Reinforce your healthy eating habits by reminding yourself that nutrition facilitates speedy healing.

You can do this!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What progress are you trying not to lose? What is your goal?
    Ask your doctor before doing anything that defies common sense. :+1:
  • flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm just coming off of a cervical disc herniation surgery. I'm about 4 weeks out. I was just cleared to walk on the treadmill, do the elliptical (without arms) and the stairmill but still not allowed to lift. Since January I'm down about 25lbs and I was going to lose 10 more this summer (I teach and have more time for workouts). But my plan was derailed by this emergency surgery which was totally unexpected. I went from working out 5 days a week - lifting and running to not able to move. I did three rounds of steroids for the inflammation and pain and didn't gain weight because I was being strict with my eating. After surgery I gained about 5lbs because I didn't eat well. Most sources say that you don't have to work out to lose weight- your diet is how one manages the scale. Keep your eating habits in check and drink your water. You can't have alcohol while on the pain meds so that should also help. Worst thing I ever did was let my eating get out of control. Now I'm struggling a lot because I got a taste of sugar again and now it's all I want. Be strong and stick to your good habits and you will be fine. Promise!!!! Good luck!
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I had an emergency surgery in August last year, completely unexpected and not planned - thankfully because I am nosy before the accident happened I had looked at several posts on these notice boards that basically said - don't be too hard on yourself while you heal.
    I thankfully have a very supportive family who offered to make me all my necessary meals after my hospitalization and made sure I had fruit or veggies for snacks. Because I couldn't move my arm I battled to open any packets - a blessing in disguise :D I was gyming heavily at the time of the surgery but was thereafter restricted and in a cast, but as soon as I was cleared to do anything, there I was on the treadmill walking (slower) with my cast and sling.
    Basically, plan to keep your eating as "clean/good" and within calories as possible, if you are limited to hospital food try and get extra fruit or veggies in if you can ALSO if in hospital for a while make sure your visitors know not to bring you junk food! If you do crave something "bad" (chips/ chocolate/ sweets) try to keep it to the treat-size ones which can easily fit into your calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your goal should be to maintain while you're healing.
  • Doyouevenlift26
    Doyouevenlift26 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I have lost 28lbs in about 6 months so I guess my main goal is to maintain it while I'm recovering. So it sounds like I should just be watching what I eat and letting myself heal because that takes precedent! It's nice to hear from people who have actually been through it!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I have lost 28lbs in about 6 months so I guess my main goal is to maintain it while I'm recovering. So it sounds like I should just be watching what I eat and letting myself heal because that takes precedent! It's nice to hear from people who have actually been through it!

Congrats on your loss! And yes, watch what you eat and give yourself time to heal. My doctors recommended prioritizing protein while recovering.

I recently had two major surgeries within 4 weeks of each other (small bowel obstruction and cervical disk replacement) and both times the doctors recommended eating at about 250 calories above maintenance (I've been maintaining for awhile).

Good luck with your surgery!