Staying on food plan

Options
I've notice it's so much easier to stay within my caloric intake during work days than when I'm off. Mind you preplanning meals makes a huge difference but in a world where eating is a social focal point it can get exhausting to have to constantly police myself on what I'm mindlessly putting in my mouth and the guilt that comes after for my food choices when I do allow myself to deviate from my diet. I need to be able to enjoy life too!?!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is just the first step. We need strategies for weight loss AND strategies for maintenance. It's nice when these two things have something in common.

Elimination doesn't work for me. I allow myself a treat everyday. There is no guilt. I will lose at the pace intended, or lose more slowly. That's the price of not being perfect. I generally save the treat until later in the day, that way I have something to look forward to.
  • saadhless
    saadhless Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not for everyone it's easy to lose but we all try to not give up what we put in or mind
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So don't be mindless about it. You can still have indulgences and enjoy a social life...I do...I lost about 40 Lbs and I've maintained for over 4 years and I have something going on socially most weekends. I'm not mindless about it...I plan around it.

I'd also say that weekends are when I have time to be more active, so I typically take advantage of that...get in a longer ride, hit the rock climbing gym, go hiking, hit the weight room, etc...my activity more than makes up for some weekend indulgence.

And really, the expectation that you're going to stick to some strict eating plan 100% of the time isn't remotely realistic for the vast majority of people...you have to live life. The all or nothing mentality sinks a great many people...
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Its a mind game ! Stay strong !
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    In what way are you having to police yourself? Know when you intend to eat your meals, and don't eat outside of that meal.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going out to eat, I eat super low calorie during the rest of the day. Such as a salad with grilled chicken for breakfast, and lunch. That way I leave a buffer for dinner. If it's a surprise thing, make a mental list of restaurants that have low calorie dishes and suggest one of those restaurants. That way you already know you'll be on track and have an idea of what to order. Most chain restaurants have thier menu with nutrition online, look a few of them up and find dishes that will work for you.
  • Nicolada85
    Nicolada85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your thoughtful words
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Well, you've it on the problem, not so much losing, but living our lives while losing.