I feel out of control with food

Options
Around 6 years I use to binge eat and ended up gaining loads of weight, I ended up losing 6 and a half stone eventually and felt happier than ever and I ended up meeting my boyfriend, buying a house together and having two children. Right now I feel like I'm on the edge of stepping back into that lifestyle, where I say I'm gonna start tomorrow, which I know never comes, but I've gone addicted to food again, I just can't stop, I'm 4 foot 11 and 8 stone 10. I have around 15 pounds to lose and I want to lose it but I'm gaining more and more, I know no one can help me it's myself but still I'm asking for some help.

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Start TODAY. Doesn't matter what you've eaten already, log it. You can easily shift that 15lb before Christmas, but you must be honest with yourself about what you are eating, and weigh and log everything (no finishing the kids' dinner so as "not to waste it" unless you log that half fish finger and three potatoes!). With two young children, although it might be difficult to get to an exercise class there is lots of activity you can do with them, racing round the park or going for a nice walk - if they're still young enough for a buggy even better as you can walk as far as you like without worrying about tired little legs! You can also put on a nice lively exercise dvd or Youtube video and get them to "dance with mummy" (zumba is brilliant for that - my younger son used to do Wii zumba with me).
    You know where you went wrong diet-wise, bingeing is never good. But don't go down a faddy route or talk about "mummy is on a diet", your children learn from you so you just need to be a bit "mummy is having a delicious apple because its crunchy and sweet" rather than "mummy would love a doughnut but its too fattening".
    You can do this, but as you know yourself its only you who can actually do it! Feel free to add me as a friend if you think I can help.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    There are certain trigger foods I don't eat at all -- I don't buy them or try to eat them in moderation. Moderation works for many people but not for me. I stopped eating added sugar sweets over a year ago for that reason. I had cravings for about two weeks, which then went away. I eat fruit instead when I want something sweet and don't feel deprived. Find out whether moderation or cutting out trigger foods works for you.

Start small. Meal prep and making batches of food ahead of time has been a lifesaver for me. The meals don't have to be perfect, just what you are willing to eat.

Include some treats that are not trigger foods or you won't feel satisfied. Eat regular meals and plan some snacks so you don't grab food you can't control. Include some fat and sugar to control cravings -- I use fruit, almonds and walnuts and avocado in my salads.
  • scribella
    scribella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hannah, I feel like I want to give you a hug. Please give yourself one, instead. One of the most useful things I’ve ever done to help myself in regard to food addiction is read Geneen Roth. She’s an author who writes about intuitive eating and does so in a very clear, comprehensive and accessible way. The two books of hers that I’ve read (well, actually I listened to them on audiobook… which personally, I found enormously helpful, because she narrates them herself and communicates her ideas very well) are: ‘Women, Food and God’ (don’t be put off by the word ‘God’ in the title if you’re non-religious… the book is for everyone who suffers with compulsive eating issues, regardless), followed by ‘When Food is Food and Love is Love’ (which I think is only available in audiobook format and is a practical guide to implementing the strategies she discusses in the earlier book).

I can’t claim that these two books on their own were enough for me to magically end my messed-up relationship with food. To do that, I had to process Geneen Roth’s ideas, subtract the parts of her advice that I knew wouldn’t work for me, and add in other concepts and techniques that would work… in other words, I had to find my own path. Personally, I don’t think any two paths out of addiction are exactly the same and what works perfectly for one person might need adjusting for someone else. So you have to be patient and not beat yourself up if, having learned the concepts, you don’t instantly fall into a new pattern of behaviour. It takes time and adjustment. But these books helped me enormously and I hope they help you, too.

Also, remember this… you are not alone. It’s true what you say, no one can help you – as in, no one can do the work for you, you have to do it yourself. But be comforted by the knowledge that you are not doing the work alone… there are literally millions of people out there just like you, who also struggle sometimes and are tripping up sometimes and starting again and having days when they feel disheartened as well as days when everything’s in the zone. Anyone who is struggling with an eating compulsion/fear of food is part of a huge community and we are all in this together, even when we feel alone. Big love to you.
  • hippiechickbarbie70
    Options
    Hi there! I can completely relate as an on again off again recovering food addict and bulemic I completely understand your struggle! It's like a song that gets stuck in my head when I start obsessing about my binge food. The thoughts don't go away unless I take action and use some of the tools I have been taught in treatment (I spent 4 months in a treatment center a couple years ago) and therapy. I would HIGHLY recommend you go talk to someone. Food addiction isn't a normal thing. Usually most food addicts are trying to escape uncomfortable feelings or soothe anxiety or restlessness. We look at food not as fuel for our bodies but as a reward or as comfort. (Speaking not for everyone of course but in general) I would love to recommend OVereaters Anonymous if you have something like that in your area. And don't be put off by the "belief in a higher power" they don't shove god down your throat but encourage you to realize that you can win the battle on your own but need something or someone other than yourself to help you. Anyhoo, I've gone on long enough. Try reading some Kay Sheppard books. She has some great insight on food addiction. Hugs to you! Hope this helps some! ❤️