Not losing more than 1lb?

Options
Hey guys, I started my weight loss journey July 1st and the first month I lost 15 pounds. These past few weeks I've only seen the scale go down 1 pound a week. I have my calories set to lose two pounds a week so I don't understand why I'm not losing more. Any advice?

Weight: 215
Height: 5"5
Jog 1 mile 6 days a week.

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? Do you use a food scale to weigh all of your food? Do you have any cheat/free days?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    If the jogging is new, you could be retaining water from that.

Also, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    15lbs is a lot in a month. Some of it may have been water weight (I remember losing a lot in my first few weeks as well).
    1lb a week is pretty realistic and healthy. But as others have suggested, it could be your calorie intake. How much are you eating daily? Do you weigh everything?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    17 lbs in 6 weeks and you are not happy?? that is almost 3lbs per week!!
  • kcasteel07
    kcasteel07 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    What is your calorie goal? Do you use a food scale to weigh all of your food? Do you have any cheat/free days?

My calorie goal a day is 1350. I do use a digital food scale and weight almost everything. I do have a cheat meal on Saturday but I make sure it's not too much over my goal and eat a little less on other days to make up for it.
  • kcasteel07
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    You've lost 17-18 pounds in 7 or 8 weeks? That sure looks like more than 2 pounds a week to me.

Yes the first month I was losing more than one pound a week but since August 1st I've only 2.8 pounds. So these past few weeks my weight loss is only aroun 1 pound a week.
  • kcasteel07
    Options

17 lbs in 6 weeks and you are not happy?? that is almost 3lbs per week!!

lol I am happy with the amount I've lost so far but I lost 17 pounds from July 1st- August 1st. And now I have only lost 2.8 pounds since then so I am wondering what could be causing me to lose 2 pounds a week. I am new to all of this so I'm just making sure I'm doing things right. I do have a lot to lose so I've been told 2 pounds a week is doable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Your body is adjusting to the calorie intake and dieting. As soon as you lower your calorie intake, the body adjusts by lowering metabolic rate. It's inevitable with everyone. Weight loss isn't linear, so don't expect to lose weight evenly or consistently week to week. The body compensates for whatever calories it's allocated to function.
    I would try to just have you run that mile FASTER and see what happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    kcasteel07 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I started my weight loss journey July 1st and the first month I lost 15 pounds. These past few weeks I've only seen the scale go down 1 pound a week. I have my calories set to lose two pounds a week so I don't understand why I'm not losing more. Any advice?

Fat loss doesn't really work linear like that. It's more of a trend over time. The closer you get to your goal the slower and more "chunky" things will happen and before long the scale is not very useful. It is a good tool for the trend over time, like months more than weeks.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so we can look through and make suggestions. That is a SUPER helpful part of the community.
  • HarlemNY17
    HarlemNY17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    You've lost 17-18 pounds in 7 or 8 weeks? That sure looks like more than 2 pounds a week to me.

She said she lost 15 pounds in 1 month . That was only water weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kcasteel07 wrote: »

Initial drops in weight involve losing a lot of water weight...and because you're eating less, you have less inherent waste in your system. Losing 1 Lb per week is pretty normal after that initial drop...beyond that, a lot of factors come into play...like accuracy of your logging...accuracy of the data base entries you're choosing...accuracy of serving sizes (eyeball vs measure vs weight), etc...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I dropped ten pounds my first month in a deficit, then it slowed to a half a pound a week - this is pretty normal, and as others have said, is probably largely water weight. One pound a week is a great pace - it sounds like you're doing great. That said, if your current deficit should have you at two pounds a week, you are almost certainly either eating more calories than you think, or burning fewer than you think. YMMV, but I track everything one level of intensity down from what I estimate I'm doing - i.e. I log a "brisk 3.5 MPH walk" as a "moderate 3.0 MPH walk." At least for me, that's worked out to be more accurate.
  • pitbull603
    pitbull603 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You know i have a friend who has the same problem...
    Loses 10 lbs...
    First 3 weeks. Then for approximately 1 week...she only loses 1...
    Then the cylce repeats...hmmm
    Interesting