Pros and cons of Keto diet

Options
Is the Keto diet safe and is it realistically manageable?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm not the biggest fan, but some people love it. It can be realistically manageable if you know what you're doing and you don't find it too limiting.
  • KatieeM14
    KatieeM14 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for the past two weeks ( I know, not very long) but so far I've been enjoying it and am seeing results. I go on Pinterest a lot to find Keto recipes and that's helped tremendously, I don't feel very limited to what I can eat. It's all about portion control really. The best way to know if it's right for you is to just try it out and see how you like it.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    double post
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hard to stick to for the long term. The best diet is one you can do for life for your health.
    https://toddleemd.com/2017/04/12/keto-diet-hardest-diet-ever/

Interesting read. Thanks!!
  • Aha123
    Aha123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hard to stick to for the long term. The best diet is one you can do for life for your health.

Interesting read. Thanks!!

Wow! Eye opening! Thanks!
  • Aha123
    Aha123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the posts! I have a better understanding as I continue searching for the best plan for me!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    A ketogenic diet is safe. The only risks are unsupplemented sodium or for those with familial hyper cholesterolemia.

If the diet improves your health or you enjoy it, it is very sustainable. I have used it for a few years.

The author is promoting a ketogenic diet in this article. They called it hard because of an untreated electrolyte imbalance in the first two weeks (fatigue, headaches, weakness, etc). The so called "keto flu" is entirely preventable low electrolytes. If you make sure you have 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day, that won't happen. A teaspoon of table salt has 2300 mg of sodium in it.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    A ketogenic diet is safe. The only risks are unsupplemented sodium or for those with familial hyper cholesterolemia.

If the diet improves your health or you enjoy it, it is very sustainable. I have used it for a few years.

The author is promoting a ketogenic diet in this article. They called it hard because of an untreated electrolyte imbalance in the first two weeks (fatigue, headaches, weakness, etc). The so called "keto flu" is entirely preventable low electrolytes. If you make sure you have 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day, that won't happen. A teaspoon of table salt has 2300 mg of sodium in it.

This! I am super far from a keto fan. My thyroid doesn't respond well to it and I love carbs. But I can attest to no keto flu with proper electrolyte balance when I did try it. And if I did start to feel a little off, I immediately had some pickles, pickle juice, or broth. Felt just fine shortly after.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Aha123 wrote: »

Whether or not it's manageable would be an individual thing...I'd be *kitten* miserable and keto isn't conducive to the way I like to eat or train.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Yep it is safe. I've been doing it for almost a year now. I think i get plenty of veggies and I also eat fruit in quantities that don't make me go over what I've alloted for myself. I am now in maintenance and plan on staying Ketogenic. It is not a magical diet it is not universal to everyone. I love what I eat. YMMV.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think that keto is perfectly safe and useful way of eating for those it works for. I would, however, challenge the belief that there's only one health condition in all the world that has any risks associated with keto (as was stated above). For me, personally, low carb has been a disaster with my depression. And with no gallbladder, a high fat diet would leave me in the bathroom all day. But just because keto is not for me doesn't mean that I think others should experiment and see if it works for them. The trick is just to watch and see how you do.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Aha123 wrote: »

Whether or not it's manageable would be an individual thing...I'd be *kitten* miserable and keto isn't conducive to the way I like to eat or train.

This for me too. Don't get me wrong, I love my meat and dairy but I also love starchy carbs and they fuel my workouts. So for me, it wouldn't be manageable.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think that keto is perfectly safe and useful way of eating for those it works for. I would, however, challenge the belief that there's only one health condition in all the world that has any risks associated with keto (as was stated above). For me, personally, low carb has been a disaster with my depression. And with no gallbladder, a high fat diet would leave me in the bathroom all day. But just because keto is not for me doesn't mean that I think others should experiment and see if it works for them. The trick is just to watch and see how you do.

YMMV of course.

There are a handful of long term keto'ers on the boards without gallbladders. They find they do better on a ketogenic diet.

And more than a handful who are doing it for mood or cognitive enhancement.

Just like a drug, very LCHF does not work for everyone.
  • jlval1989
    jlval1989 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For the most part, it appears safe. Certainly, enough people have been doing it for long enough, that if it resulted in any serious health risks, we'd know by now.

As for manageable? That's up to you. It can be restricting, but if you enjoy the foods, then you can manage it.

Cons - it does restrict what you can eat. Especially when eating out, or wanting something quick and easy after a long day.

Pros - after 2 weeks on a Keto diet and calorie deficit, I can say I'm less hungry, less mood swings, more stable energy throughout the day. I sleep better at night. And, of course, I've lost weight.