Just joined and doubtful

Options
Just joined this site and hope it can help with my bad eating habits. I like cheeseburgers among other things but my doctor is starting to get a little put out with me because I am not listening to him and I have high blood pressure. To much time spent in front of tv after work and snack like a four year old. I'm trying

Replies

• smallsteps2success
    smallsteps2success Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've found this is a great place to keep yourself honest and get support with people who are on the same journey. I, too, got a call from my doctor about a month and a half ago that I was now pre-diabetic. That did "scare me straight" and using MFP has been helping me stay on track. Best of luck and reach out to us if you need support. Keep us posted so that we can celebrate every little win with you. =)
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Trying is a good start.
    Keep trying healthy food options so you can find what you like.
    Portion control your snacking, measure out one portion and once you eat that you are much more aware of how much you are eating.
  • AlexzJudeH
    AlexzJudeH Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been working at this getting healthier thing for a few months now, and what I've noticed is that logging everything I eat and drink, whether good or bad helps me notice when I stress eat and try to focus on doing more constructive things than turning to food when I'm bored. What I try to remind myself that making small permanent changes (what we decide to do daily) results in greater results in the long run than tackling everything at once. Like switch out one soda for a glass of water, or have a side of vegetables instead of fries. Good luck!
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Start logging your food and see if that motivates you to make changes.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I also just joined. I am not new to tracking food. I participated in CalorieCount.com for several years starting in 2011. That site is no longer available, for which I am truly disappointed. Lost between 30 and 40 pounds between 2011 and 2012 and have regained 12 of those pounds over the last 5 years (also disappointing). I am not overweight (in fact, I was too slight for a while), but giving MFP a try to see if I can get back to tracking food/calories consumed. Tracking seems to make me more aware and responsible for what I consume. I do feel that one of the biggest factors that influenced my success with weight loss/management was to keep foods in their simplest form and avoid recipes. If you want a potato, eat a potato without turning it into potatoes au gratin, potato salad or scalloped potatoes. Eat an apple, but avoid making it into apple pie, apple crisp, apple dumplings. If you want an occasional chocolate, eat a piece of chocolate...but avoid chocolate cake, fudge, etc. The best thing about avoiding recipes is that meal preparation is much easier with less cleanup. What's not to like about that? When resorting to recipes, do determine a portion size suitable to stay within your goal for each day. Sometimes it's a bit of a mind game, as well. I have never been "on a diet" but rather adhered to my "nutrition plan." Good luck with your endeavor. Each individual's approach to weight management will be different. Just thought I would share some ideas that I thought were helpful.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    start trying a little harder each day and you will get used to it
    better health must be worth the effort
    good luck
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    daleray2 wrote: »
    Just joined this site and hope it can help with my bad eating habits. I like cheeseburgers among other things but my doctor is starting to get a little put out with me because I am not listening to him and I have high blood pressure. To much time spent in front of tv after work and snack like a four year old. I'm trying

Hello! I like cheeseburgers too.

I cannot speak to your high blood pressure, but for me, if I can make a cheeseburger work with my calories, I can have one. Today's Taco Day, and I'm having tacos - which I love - because they work with my calories. If your daily calories are too stringent, focus on weekly calories. A deficit over time is all that matters.

Change is difficult, so just try to take it slow, and don't let it overwhelm you. Log your food so you have an idea of what you're eating. Studies show that just keeping a food diary can change food habits for the better. Try to cut out mindless snacking or replace your snacks with something healthier. Maybe you could march in place in front of the tv.

If you eat a bag of chips, fill it in a small bowl, and leave the bag in the kitchen - you either have to go back to get more (hey, more activity!) or you'll decide you don't want to. If it's harder to get to the food, you're less likely to eat it. Keep healthy options close at hand. Buy ramekins; they're full quickly, and that gives you the perception of eating more.

Don't cut out everything you like but learn that a) some things are a some times food, and b) portion control is important. Used to having large fries? Start with a medium, or a small. Used to having a whole bag of chips? Buy smaller chip bags or portion is out. Replace chips with an apple, bananas, vegetable straws, etc. There are so many small changes you can make that are easy, and will soon become habits.

Good luck <3
  • BTAYYY
    BTAYYY Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm also worried. I started my diet and workout regime yesterday. I'm 5'6 and 220 lbs. I ideally would like to get to 160 where I am most comfortable. I gained all this weight in the course of a year due to a medication but now that I am off it I am hoping I can lose the weight! Please wish me luck. So hard to work out after work and such long days -_-
  • watty1982
    watty1982 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Little changes first and then goal setting is a good way to start. But this app is awesome for logging food and also you don't have to restrict yourself instead of eating cheeseburgers all the time limit them to once a week as a treat meal. It really does work