Type 2 Diabetic

Options
JNDB3
JNDB3 Posts: 3 Member
I would be interested in hearing from other diabetics regarding carb count, etc.

I am almost 70 and weigh 169#.........need to get down to #140..........Low Fat diets don't work for me..........I need the fat in my diet for my body to function right.

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law is nearing 70, was diagnosed type 2 when she hit 65 and was able to reverse it within two years by simply cutting out sugar and watching carbs. She tends to not cook much so she eats a lot of pre-packaged foods, she simply watches the labels and eat stuff that keeps her within her goals. Her weight loss came without trying by just cutting out the junk food. So it can be done, at any age. Remove junk food from your life, start eating vegetables and fruit more instead. Now if we could just get her to stop smoking... but that's another battle all together. You can do it.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Go get a food scale at the store today (next to the measuring cups). I follow the DASH diet which can certainly help with type2. I have to cook at home to be able to follow it. No more McDonalds value menu for me. Good for a retired person.
    Best diets for diabetics http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-diabetes-diets

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am/was prediabetic. I follow the low carb high fat plan in Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. I had normal blood glucose within days, and it stays normal if I eat LCHF. Even without weight loss, although it did help me lose almost 40 lbs pretty easily.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaNJO7KMgg
  • kieranar
    kieranar Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and finally got down to 140lb from 180lb and a type 2, I followed the 8 week blood sugar diet and started cycling , I'm now hoping that I have reversed the type 2 and can drop the meds ? , I'll know in Dec when I have my next med check. Cycling has totally helped me get my weight down to a really great level , I now cycle on average around 20 miles a day , up to 60 miles on weekends per day , weather permitting
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I generally eat between 100 - 150 grams of carbs. If I go over, I don't sweat it. However, I am on insulin so increased carbs don't affect my blood sugar as long as I take enough insulin.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    High fat low carb for my A1C back from the edge where my doctor was talking about pre T2. Also lowered my triglycerides from over 300 to 45.
  • SecularVegan
    SecularVegan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Watch the movie 'what the health' on Netflix. I was a pre diabetic. Now I'm not. All thanks to the lessons in this movie. (Not the only documentary that touches on the subject, but the best imo)
    Type 2 Diabetes is completely reversible. No doubt about it. You dont have to be diabetic! Please take the advice in that movie, or read the book 'The End of Diabetes' by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.
    It is almost miraculous. The first time I've read nutritional literature without the author just trying to sell you a diet plan or some other "get rich quick" scheme.
    Real advice from real, unbiased, and devoted doctors.
    You'll be completely floored with how little you, and the majority, know about health.
    <3