Mass gainer

Options
I have a question for the community, I'd like to hear from members that have used mass gainers.

Did it work for you?

I bought Mutant Mass Gainer Sunday, obviously I'm not posting because I don't see results, I decided to take it because I have a hard time to consistently eat high calories, so I'm using this to supplement that. Thanks to those that respond.

Replies

• 99JT
    99JT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have used a few different mass gainers including mutant mass. They are good for calories but mutant mass gave me mutant *kitten* so just see how it works for you. The best one I have used was true mass I had no issues with it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer to eat my calories but others don't. If it puts you into a calorie surplus then it'll work, if it doesnt, it won't.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Most muscle gainers are just filled with crappy ingredients and are way overpriced; in fact mutant mass' first 5 or 6 ingredients are cheap starches/sugars (side note, I love how instead of corn starch they call it waxy maze... i mean FFS).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • fpoitr
    fpoitr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that responsded so far. Thanks psuLemon for the article, there are lot of foods that I like in there, I'm just speaking for myself when I say this, I think that a part of it is mental, I've been a lean guy for a long time and I'm not used to carrying extra weight, it's hard mentally to eat those calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    never used the stuff...I would rather fill in my calories with ice cream, oreos, bagels, pasta, etc....
  • dheszu
    dheszu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    *as a meal replacement
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I took a mass gainer when I was in the military and it helped. In boot camp I was put on double rations because I was so skinny and underweight...that got me to a normal weight, but the low end of BMI and I was still skinny af.

With my activity being what it was, it was difficult to get all of the calories I needed with food and would sometimes drop weight unintentionally and I was tired of being scrawny...an extra 1,000+ calories definitely helped.
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Op, what are your goals? Is a mass gainer necessary over whole foods? You can even make a "mass gainer" with whey, whole milk, oatmeal, and peanut butter. As mentioned above, your just paying for whey with a ton of added dextrose and maybe some corn syrup solids. Are you trying to bulk right now?
  • fpoitr
    fpoitr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's right, I'm trying to bulk, I was cutting before vacation and I'm done vacation. Just before I started working out which was roughly a year and half ago, I was down to 136, then got up to 164 and cut so I was lean on my vacation, but I feel too lean at 152 with a body fat of 6% lol, a personal trainer said you need to eat. A goal weight for now would be 170.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Mass gainers may solve that problem if you are too busy/time to cook/buy a meal. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I occasionally use Serious Mass and True Mass. But most of the time I'd rather drink a gallon of chocolate milk. 32oz 4x day = maximum gainz :D
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've been using Champion Nutrition's Heavyweight Gainer 900 (Chocolate) for many years not just to supplement my diet but for it's delicious taste! I often add it to a big bowl of oatmeal (old fashioned steel cut oats).