couch to 5k Treadmill vs "real" running

Options
1_up
1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
I never bothered (hate cardio), but finally looked into what this program is all about. I don't run much, but I wouldn't find 3.1 miles hard to do (on the treadmill). How does running on a treadmill compare to running outside?

Let's say I ran a 8 minute mile. Would that be legit timing, since it would be done on a treadmill compared to someone who ran a 8 minute mile outside? It's more convenient for me to use the treadmill in my basement then for me to drive 15 minutes away, so I won't get run over by cars while running in the street.

In your opinion what is a great time to strive towards? Would a 8 minute mile be half decent and a 6 minute mile be great? Just curious on everyone's opinions on this.

Thanks!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I love running outside but live in a place where right now the average is 95-100 each day. So, I use the treadmill. I always strive for 7-8 minute miles. :)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The idea behind C25K is to get anyone to run, no matter the time. I am going to staminia and I'll work on pace/time later.

I don't own a treadmill (or have the money to buy one) and I like seeing the scenery when I run so I prefer outside. Plus the little one likes to get fresh air too, so loves to kick back in the stroller and check everything out too.
  • becky_turcotte
    Options
    I am doing couch to 5K on the treadmill. We were on vaca last week, and staying at a place with no gym. My brother (army guy, totally buff) runs outside every morning so I desided to join him. It was completely different and more difficult. My plan is to finish the 8 wks with the Cto5K then start jogging outside to get used to it. I'm not much for the outdoors anyway, so I think I'll prefer the treadmill all together.
  • 1_up
    Options
    I love running outside but live in a place where right now the average is 95-100 each day. So, I use the treadmill. I always strive for 7-8 minute miles. :)

Are your treadmill miles easier then running outside miles?
  • vulrich93
    vulrich93 Posts: 99
    Options
    When I run on a tredmill, I tend to run slower for some odd reason. I prefer running outside because it keeps me entertained and it feels like I'm actually running somewhere (even though it's just around my neighbourhood).

Plus I do interval training, so I don't have to fumble with the buttons on the machine.
  • elp1920
    elp1920 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started and got about halfway through C25K last year before a severe foot injury (not related to the running) required me to stop.

I cant speak to the time question but running on a treadmill is very different from running outdoors. I was up to running for a good strong 5 minutes in C2K - 5 minutes was easy. Then it cooled off (I am in hot. humid Georgia) and I went outside and wow - it was like I was almost starting over. I maybe made it 90 seconds.

People had told me it was very different but I didn't honestly expect it to be THAT different. Having a moving platform propelling you forward helps more than you realize if you are new to running.

I am getting back into running now that my foot is mostly healed. A friend recommended that if i wanted to work up to running outside that I try C25K repeating each week - do week 1 indoors then repeat week 1 outdoors. Might try it just to see how it works for me.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I live in a hilly area, so yes. If you love in a really flat area, not so much.
    I'd just put the incline on the treadmill up 1 or 2.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    YES!!! You might feel it in your knees or shins. people say the running surface are different. but speed and endurance should not be too much of an issue.
  • 1_up
    Options
    When I run on a tredmill, I tend to run slower for some odd reason. I prefer running outside because it keeps me entertained and it feels like I'm actually running somewhere (even though it's just around my neighbourhood).

Plus I do interval training, so I don't have to fumble with the buttons on the machine.

I prefer interval training myself and it was a pain to play with the buttons as I'm running lol.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    For me, outside miles are a million zillion billion times better than treadmill miles. I feel so confined and bored on the treadmill. I can trick myself outside by making it 'just one more mailbox' or 'just to the corner', then trick myself a little further when I get there. I actually think the treadmill miles are physically harder than outside though others dont agree with me. I vote, get outside and try it. See what you think. It is different for sure. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    ANY time you finish a 5k is a good time in my books, unless you plan on winning, in which case you'd probably need to do a 5 minute mile. Locally, the winners typical do 5 minute miles, middle of the pack is about a 10 minute mile. I'm a middle aged woman who's only running for my health, though, so I'm only competing against myself.

Personally, I have an easier time running an 8 minute mile outside than on a treadmill, but some folks are the exact opposite.
  • 1_up
    Options
    I started and got about halfway through C25K last year before a severe foot injury (not related to the running) required me to stop.

I cant speak to the time question but running on a treadmill is very different from running outdoors. I was up to running for a good strong 5 minutes in C2K - 5 minutes was easy. Then it cooled off (I am in hot. humid Georgia) and I went outside and wow - it was like I was almost starting over. I maybe made it 90 seconds.

People had told me it was very different but I didn't honestly expect it to be THAT different. Having a moving platform propelling you forward helps more than you realize if you are new to running.

I am getting back into running now that my foot is mostly healed. A friend recommended that if i wanted to work up to running outside that I try C25K repeating each week - do week 1 indoors then repeat week 1 outdoors. Might try it just to see how it works for me.

Sorry to hear about the foot and I hope it gets better. I was told in the past the running on the treadmill is much easier. I just don't want to tell people I can run 7 minute miles and for it to not be legit numbers because a 7 minute mile would be harder without the treadmill.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Treadmill running and street running are two totally different animals...just sayin'
  • 1_up
    Options
    I live in a hilly area, so yes. If you love in a really flat area, not so much.
    I'd just put the incline on the treadmill up 1 or 2.

Ah k thanks for your opinion bud! What is a good number to work towards? Would a 6 minute mile be great for a fit person to achieve? I understand athletes would probably do much better then someone who isn't as hardcore. I'm just trying to figure out some type of gauge, so I know where I stand and how much work I need to do.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I do think that running on a treadmill is easier. But you can make it more difficult by adding intervals. My personal favorite is the pyramid interval where you get faster and faster. It's a killer. :)
  • 1_up
    Options
    YES!!! You might feel it in your knees or shins. people say the running surface are different. but speed and endurance should not be too much of an issue.

ah k so the only difference in your opinion is the joint pain really? I wouldn't get any benefit using the treadmill towards enhancing my performance over someone else who doesn't use a treadmill to run?
  • 1_up
    Options
    For me, outside miles are a million zillion billion times better than treadmill miles. I feel so confined and bored on the treadmill. I can trick myself outside by making it 'just one more mailbox' or 'just to the corner', then trick myself a little further when I get there. I actually think the treadmill miles are physically harder than outside though others dont agree with me. I vote, get outside and try it. See what you think. It is different for sure. :)

haha thanks for the insight. TBH I hate running in general and since its very hot outside lately, I rather stay in my cool basement ;P
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    On a treadmill it is easy to set a pace and run it. Like I know a half of an hour at 5.5 will get me to 2.50 miles give or take a few. Outside the pace is harder to set. You might feel like you are going too slow or too fast and not know the exact number. Also if you run indoors only your body will have hard time adjusting to running outside even if you use and incline on the treadmill it is just different. I have been running the c25k for about a month and in the beginning it was just about getting used to running so I stuck with the treadmill. I was doing well and then decided I could run a 5k course outside and wow it was bad! 45 minutes later and I was almost back to my starting point haha. Now I try to run outside at least 3 days a week.

I have never run an actual 5k before. I think though a good time for a real beginner would be 30-45 mins? Strive for a ten min mile for now 30 mins or so is a decent time especially for someone just starting and then work on speed once your are OK with running the distance completely.

I am not an official racer though but I heard form a trainer that 30 -35 is good for a beginner.
  • 1_up
    Options
    ANY time you finish a 5k is a good time in my books, unless you plan on winning, in which case you'd probably need to do a 5 minute mile. Locally, the winners typical do 5 minute miles, middle of the pack is about a 10 minute mile. I'm a middle aged woman who's only running for my health, though, so I'm only competing against myself.

Personally, I have an easier time running an 8 minute mile outside than on a treadmill, but some folks are the exact opposite.

wow 5 min miles... Thats fine I don't plan on winning lol. Thanks for setting a gauge for me to base my performance on.
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to run quite a bit, ran 10 milers, 15Ks, even a marathon. When I did my first ten miler, I trained for it entirely on the treadmill. Honestly didn't run outside once. Yep, I did ten mile runs on the treadmill. That's a good mental exercise! My husband was consulting out of town at the time, I was working, and our first child, now our oldest, was a baby. So, long story short, the treadmill at 6 am was what worked for me. Anyway, that's all to say that I believe you can certainly get very good training in on a treadmill. Work those hills!! You can definitely enhance your speed and endurance and do great interval training. And a 6 minute mile is very fast. an 8 minute mile is also very fast! I did ten milers in about 8:40, 15Ks in about 9, and marathin at an even 10 minute pace, and I was in great shape. Have fun!! HTH