Question about the calories

Options
So my calories say I can have 2040 to start with. Is that before or after working out?

Such as I can eat 2000 but if I work out and lose 1000, does that mean I should eat 3000 for the day so it equals 2000 again? I.e: 2000-1000= 1000, 1000+1000=2000= Calorie goal.

Or if I eat 2000 and lose 1000, does that mean im going into starvation mode cause its under 1000?
I.e: 2000-1000=1000= under calorie goal.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    MFP gave you a minimum of 2040 based on the input you told it which does not take into consideration exercise activity. MFP anticipates you will eat some of your exercise calories back.

Starvation mode doesn't exist.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you up to lose weight without exercise. When you do exercise, you're burning more calories than they expect. In order to keep your deficit consistent and fuel your body, it's expected that you eat those calories back. Therefore, you should be netting 2040 calories after exercise. Many people, however, feel that the calorie burns are overstated and therefore only eat half of them back.

Ignore starvation mode as it doesn't exist, but a net calorie total of 1000 is dangerous anyway.
  • thewolfwriter
    thewolfwriter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was just asking in simple math terms. im more of an artist and not a mathematical genius. basic group of numbers is easier than 234.2342538/24345*322423-2342*23432/2342342+2342342*234= x+*d-s+df+gsdgg.

that being said my average workout says I only lose about 200 or so calories a time. so it would only be 1800.

As for checking online- im here, this is online. im asking. Also asking and finding everyones opinions is better than a whole book of information such as;

MFP gave you a minimum of 2040 based on the input you told it which does not take into consideration exercise activity. MFP anticipates you will eat some of your exercise calories back.
    MFP sets you up to lose weight without exercise. When you do exercise, you're burning more calories than they expect. In order to keep your deficit consistent and fuel your body, it's expected that you eat those calories back. Therefore, you should be netting 2040 calories after exercise. Many people, however, feel that the calorie burns are overstated and therefore only eat half of them back.
    Ignore starvation mode as it doesn't exist, but a net calorie total of 1000 is dangerous anyway.
    If you checked online regarding calories, it was calculated as per you weight, height, age and activity. So that means you can only have 2k calories per day. But you should also check macros: what s the protein, carbs and fat intake for you.
    Nope. MFP uses the NEAT method so your daily goal EXCLUDES purposeful exercise/steps not accounted for in your activity level
    Starvation mode isn't a thing. 1,000 calories burned in a workout is extremely high - be very careful when logging numbers like that and eating them back unless you're working out at a high intensity for hours at a time.
    If you checked online regarding calories, it was calculated as per you weight, height, age and activity. So that means you can only have 2k calories per day. But you should also check macros: what s the protein, carbs and fat intake for you.
    Nope. MFP uses the NEAT method so your daily goal EXCLUDES purposeful exercise/steps not accounted for in your activity level
    Starvation mode isn't a thing. 1,000 calories burned in a workout is extremely high - be very careful when logging numbers like that and eating them back unless you're working out at a high intensity for hours at a time.

As for the excessive use for numbers and words, this is how my brain inputs things. when people say things separately its easier to grasp, but when i read it in a blog or a post a page long it makes no sense.

As for mental stuff I have ADD, Depression, and anxiety. Now whether im dyslexic on top of all that im not sure about but I know my mom has it. SO, I was told to go online- im here. I also looked up other things and its said starvation mode exists (http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/starvation-mode) However they said something about it not being what anyone thinks so i dont know. I couldnt read all of it before it sounded like gibberish.

As for those who helped and tried to explain reasons, thank you. I know I still have a lot to learn because its all confusing to me.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    MFP gives you enough calories to lose weight even without exercise.

If you do exercise you are burning more calories than expected so you should log the exercise and eat those calories given to you on top of you normal daily allowance.

Eg I get 1200 calories a day, today I earned 500 calories through steps and exercise so I eat 1700.

Starvation mode as in "eat more to lose more, if you don't eat enough your body will hold on to fat" is a myth, what isn't a myth is that eating too few calories is bad for your health. Because of this you should always try to eat to your goal.

ETA: exercise calorie burns can often be over estimated so some people recommend only eating back a portion of what you earn, only time and data can tell if this is true. I recommend eating back your exercise calories for a month, check if you're losing on schedule (eg an average of 1lb per week, or whatever you set your goal as) if so continue eating them all, if not reduce the proportion you eat.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Probably the closest example of adaptive thermogenesis/starvation mode would be the biggest loser show contestants who because of rigorous exercise for hours and dangerously reducing their calories, but most of us shouldn't worry about this.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Nope. MFP uses the NEAT method so your daily goal EXCLUDES purposeful exercise/steps not accounted for in your activity level.

This is a big one to understand. "Not accounted for in your activity level". For instance, I workout 6 days a week so if I set my activity level to account for these workouts (moderately active), then don't eat back the exercise calories you burn because it's already included. But, I have my activity set to not active because I have a sit down job, so I can eat back my exercise calories I burn because I don't include those activity calories in my daily total allotted calories.
  • thewolfwriter
    thewolfwriter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here's this layout;

My intake is 2040
    My activity is next to none.
    Every other day I go on a machine bike at the gym for 30 minutes at level 6 and 10 MPH(which is just my normal speed on a bike I don't really push myself as im just starting out as of the 11th.)

Once the pool opens back up im planning on swimming a bit too. Not vigorous, but being in the water and doing things here and there, simple things like maybe 3 laps, wading, nothing really- but still more than I do in everyday life (which is mostly sit around and do nothing too physical.)

The 21st ill be starting my next semester of college which will have me there from 12pm-9pm which pretty much eats the whole day so i can do nothing, food intake those days will be interesting.

Also another thing to note is I hardly have money for food in general (35$ for the month once bills and such are paid) so eating calories will be hard even if I do love food. (longer story on that but basically I lost a type of income which fed me.) but now im making bare minimum. I can stock up on cheap foods which tends to not be the healthiest (such as 1$ knorr packages, ramon, hamburger helper, and such.) which will give me a couple meals for only a few cents each.

I know they are not the healthiest calories, but its what I can afford.

Also plain rice(or with spices) since that can make a lot for not that much money.

So there's all of that.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Ok, so here's this layout;

My intake is 2040
    My activity is next to none.
    Every other day I go on a machine bike at the gym for 30 minutes at level 6 and 10 MPH(which is just my normal speed on a bike I don't really push myself as im just starting out as of the 11th.)

Once the pool opens back up im planning on swimming a bit too. Not vigorous, but being in the water and doing things here and there, simple things like maybe 3 laps, wading, nothing really- but still more than I do in everyday life (which is mostly sit around and do nothing too physical.)

The 21st ill be starting my next semester of college which will have me there from 12pm-9pm which pretty much eats the whole day so i can do nothing, food intake those days will be interesting.

Also another thing to note is I hardly have money for food in general (35$ for the month once bills and such are paid) so eating calories will be hard even if I do love food. (longer story on that but basically I lost a type of income which fed me.) but now im making bare minimum. I can stock up on cheap foods which tends to not be the healthiest (such as 1$ knorr packages, ramon, hamburger helper, and such.) which will give me a couple meals for only a few cents each.

I know they are not the healthiest calories, but its what I can afford.

Also plain rice(or with spices) since that can make a lot for not that much money.

So there's all of that.

If School goes from 12-9, can't you do some sort of exercise in the morning prior to getting there?
    Is there an Aldi by you? You can get a bag of frozen chicken for less than 6 bucks that could last you two weeks. If you're going to have Ramon, at least add a protein like chicken in there. Tilapia is a high protein, cheaper fish as well. Or, just go for the 1$ tuna cans for some more protein. Vegetables are cheap. Grab the frozen bags of broccoli or the can's of green beans and microwave them. Rice is fine. Normally I'd say white or brown, but with that grocery list you have above, maybe brown rice would be better to get some more nutrients in there. You can eat all that stuff in moderation.Make sure to only eat the serving size on the box.

Also, right after I wrote this, I had an email from Greatest called healthy foods that cost 1$. Check it out!
    https://greatist.com/health/44-healthy-foods-under-1?utm_source=CM&utm_medium=email&utm_content=story1_title&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter_2017-08-14_testB_20160817