How to keep going after bad news!

Options
I really dnt wanna give up, I've been eating healthy for a month now, with very little or no change on the scales. I've just got bad news about my father, and I'm living in a new country for less than half a year. I feel the urge to eat *kitten* food creeping back. I do not wanna gain weight again. How can I focus my attention to become healthier, it's more important now than ever, but I can already see my self binge eating . How have other people succeeded?

Replies

• martinporter678
    martinporter678 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Take it 1 meal at a time if u plan /prep ur meals u will have less urge/opportunity to eat off ur plan... Don't let life overwhelm u and ur choice to live healthier. This is something i have to tell myself daily
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I won't lie, it's hard, the grief/stress I've been going through the last year has coincided with ny binge eating. I've somehow managed to maintain my 60lb loss, just having a hard go with the last of it. On the days that I'm "good" I get a long walk in drink lots of water and really stop and give myself time to think "do I want to eat? Am I really hungry or just mad sad bored etc." Meditation has helped A LOT.
    Good luck! !!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're away from your dad/family - I know how hard that can be, I experienced similar a few years ago.

Food is not the answer. Find another way to focus your sadness/frustration - I found exercise was a great release, whether it's something as simple as walking/jogging, or something like martial arts or boxing where you can physically rid yourself of emotion.

Try to prep meals. I find having a meal ready for me takes away some of the temptation to binge or eat things for comfort. I might not be thrilled about the meal initially, but after eating I usually realise I'm satisfied and don't need anything else.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It is a mind game and your strong will. There will never be a perfect day where we can sit back a relax , life plays every now and then ....no matter how hard it is but if the mind is trained to handle those good and not so good times, can help to stay on track.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Stay strong !

• MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Channel your lack of control over your fathers situation into controlling your own. That's what got me started losing weight 2 years ago. Everything else was crappy and I couldn't change it (not quickly at least) but my diet and exercise was something I could do right now.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're away from your dad/family - I know how hard that can be, I experienced similar a few years ago.

Food is not the answer. Find another way to focus your sadness/frustration - I found exercise was a great release, whether it's something as simple as walking/jogging, or something like martial arts or boxing where you can physically rid yourself of emotion.

Try to prep meals. I find having a meal ready for me takes away some of the temptation to binge or eat things for comfort. I might not be thrilled about the meal initially, but after eating I usually realise I'm satisfied and don't need anything else.

Great advice - exercise, especially relatively strenuous activity can be a great outlet for negative emotions. I used to do a lot of boxercise/boxing fitness for that very reason.

An alternative is to find other things which will comfort you such as familiar films, books or maybe a craft that will keep your thoughts and your hands busy (I enjoy doing cross stitch and you end up with something you can put on the wall or send as a card at the end). It is a matter of redirecting your urge to eat your feelings into something else.
  • Mark46UK
    Mark46UK Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    g00286581 wrote: »
    I really dnt wanna give up, I've been eating healthy for a month now, with very little or no change on the scales. I've just got bad news about my father, and I'm living in a new country for less than half a year. I feel the urge to eat *kitten* food creeping back. I do not wanna gain weight again. How can I focus my attention to become healthier, it's more important now than ever, but I can already see my self binge eating . How have other people succeeded?

I know how you feel. My sister passed away last year and I turned to food mist people can't eat after something like that but I went the other way