Veggies?

Options
2»

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    definatly green smoothies. I drink a large "one" (Its like 4 servings lol) a day and i feel great. Its good to get my greens in ...Although it makes me hyper i swear >.> My skin cleared up :p
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Roasted (or baked, as one OP called them above) are the way to go. Cut into bite sized pieces, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast for 20-30 minutes in a hot oven (400F).

Alternatively, grilled veggies are pretty good but you have to put aside any fear of letting them get too well done or risk missing out on all of the tasty caramelized/charred bits.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Soup, pasta, stir fry. Put some in an omelet. Add some cheese.

How have you tried them so far? Often the issue is how they are cooked.
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of my favorite recipes that contain vegetables.

roasted broccoli

broccoli salad (You may want to play around with the dressing to reduce the calories.)

roasted potatoes

Also, soup and omlets are a good place to add vegetables.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    for your breakfast - fry some bacon -add 1-2 handfuls of spinach - cook until its wilted - add your scrambled eggs. or steam some broccoli - add to your scrambled eggs cheese is good with this. you can make a omelet with just about any veggie use your imagination. You can also use one of the green superfood powder to get the nutrition - very important. If you aren't eating vegetables you can have more organ meat - liver - heart and get a lot of the vitamins you are missing. Eastcoast Jim
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    Or just drink a V8 (assuming you don't mind the sodium). If you find plain V8 gross, dress it up with some horseradish and hot sauce like a bloody mary.
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I absolutely had to "favorite" this thread just for all the recipe ideas I've never thought of.
  • healinghearts
    healinghearts Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My son's the same,says take those trees (broccoli) off my plate. I've vegan and love veggies. Not so keen on aubergine ,gives me the heebies.once you start you'll be fine. Try a new one every day cooked in a different way.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yup, if you don't like 99% of them, it's a mental block because celery tastes nothing like eggplant tastes nothing like cabbage tastes nothing like beets ... Green beans cooked Southern style taste nothing like green beans cooked Chinese style. Raw broccoli salad tastes very little like broccoli-cheddar soup. ...

You get the idea. There's a huge variety of vegetables and an enormous variety of ways you can cook them. The way to find out what you like is trial and error.

It's all individual. I don't like radicchio, hubby loves it any way you cook it. I like broccoli and cauliflower, hubby moans like I'm trying to poison him. We both liked Brussels sprouts until we decided we didn't. I kind of liked spaghetti squash until the day I had one explode in a microwave and blow strands of damp vegetable matter all over the room. I didn't think I liked spinach until I learned to cook it with lots of other ingredients like Indian curries.

Have fun with veggies!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Hide them. Let's start with peas and carrots, steam them till mushy. Puree them in a blender. Then use that instead of bread crumbs to make meatloaf.

Use them as "topping" grilled mushrooms and onions on a steak or chicken.

Soups. Because when you cook everything together, flavors blend leading to less "veggie" tasting vegetables.
  • Stacyines
    Stacyines Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My ex was the exact same way. So I found a way around his disgust towards vegetables.
    Little oil, vegetables of your choice, and chicken bouillon seasoning over a cookie sheet. Broiled to give a nice roasted taste. He would only eat carrots and broccoli. I would give him a bit of red potatoes and it he'd eat it all. Works perfectly if you're meal prepping too!

• bostonma1776
    bostonma1776 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    neoatari wrote: »
    Honestly corn is about the only veggie I like. Sweet onion is okay when cooked, kinda like in Mongolian Beef. I can stand carrots and celery, but barely.

Corn isn't a vegetable. I would suggest putting on your big boy pants and growing up

• DX2JX2
    Options
    Hide them. Let's start with peas and carrots, steam them till mushy. Puree them in a blender. Then use that instead of bread crumbs to make meatloaf.

Use them as "topping" grilled mushrooms and onions on a steak or chicken.

Soups. Because when you cook everything together, flavors blend leading to less "veggie" tasting vegetables.

Better yet, mix the peas and carrots in mashed potatoes. That's how I did it as a kid!
  • dougfarrar1
    dougfarrar1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Start by sneaking them into other dishes. The tips above are good!
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm not a veggie fan either but I have learned to fuel and train the way I want to I need it. I just smile and eat it. I don't buy anything frozen because I don't like the taste or texture. Only fresh. Most veggies I like in a tiny bit of olive oil and cooked until still somewhat crunchy. You can try raw with hummus? Stick spinach/kale in a smoothie.