Water rest of the year!

Options
pcrist467
pcrist467 Posts: 4 Member
I have an addiction to sweet drinks and have gained more weight than I want to share. I'm challenging myself to drink water instead of those sweet drinks. I'm also a new diabetic so this is my new motivator to succeed. I'm morbidly obese also and am trying to pull it all together for a healthier lifestyle all the way around. I have yo-yoed most of my adult life and am finally ready for a BIG change.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    good luck! :drinker:
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options
    Good luck :) I recommend looking into aspartame and caffeine free diet soda. It's a very good alternative and tastes pretty much the same. But, just to be safe and practice restriction, I recommend only drinking it 3 times a week at most and then just drinking water. You can also alternate between the diet sodas (ex. pepsi, fresca, coke etc.) for variety.
  • chafoxeymitchner
    chafoxeymitchner Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's possible
  • Lucy_Monroe
    Lucy_Monroe Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can do water! I know you can. I just put a jug of water in my fridge with slices of cucumber and fresh mint to infuse for flavor. You can also do a *few* slices of fruit without increasing the sugar levels of the water. Just don't go eating the fruit without counting it. ;-) I'm also diabetic and I love the La Croix bubbly fruit water. No added sugar, substitutes or sodium. Just a nice hint of flavor. I'd do this with you, but I also drink tea. Let us know how it's going on. These lifestyle changes are harder than many realize but they make all the difference in our quality of life. You CAN do this. :)
  • pcrist467
    pcrist467 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm doing better than I thought I would....I did have a diet dr pepper yesterday a small size fountain drink and no refill...thank you for your support...
  • jstatzer2
    jstatzer2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds very similar to mine. Just recently diagnosed with diabetes and definitely trying to make a lifestyle change and water is my first.
  • BabyMandrakes
    BabyMandrakes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I completely cut out sugary drinks a few month's ago. The first week was the hardest, but now I find that I actually crave water. I also recommend getting a water bottle you love. My mother in law got me the Hidrate Spark 2.0. It's amazing and because of it I definitely drink more water than I used to. Decorate your bottle to make it something you actually like to look at.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    pcrist467 wrote: »
    I have an addiction to sweet drinks and have gained more weight than I want to share. I'm challenging myself to drink water instead of those sweet drinks. I'm also a new diabetic so this is my new motivator to succeed. I'm morbidly obese also and am trying to pull it all together for a healthier lifestyle all the way around. I have yo-yoed most of my adult life and am finally ready for a BIG change.

I'm also drinking water 99 percent of the time. My only other drinks are an herb tea and Silk Protein Nutmilk. I wasn't addicted to sugary soft drinks, but used to drink a lot of coffee -- until I ended up in the emergency room from the caffeine.

Good luck with the water. I think drinking water is an investment in our health. Just be careful and don't overdrink it, or you can cause serious problems with your sodium/electrolytes.