Plateau? Introducing the Whoosh!

Options
Hi all,

If like me you are driving yourself nuts not seeing a result on the scale for weeks at a time read this: 100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/

It makes an awful lot of sense and has made me feel much more positive after not seeing results for what feels like an eternity (but probably isn't).

Also sorry if you have already read up on this and I am late to the party!

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It's been mentioned here a lot before but it's always helpful to repost from time to time for new people, as we see many plateau threads here on a daily basis. This happened to me recently too. I thought I was happily maintaining 114 pounds but nope, I'm 111 now. I didn't expect it since I'm in maintenance but bodies are weird.
  • ravergirl1992
    ravergirl1992 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    It's been mentioned here a lot before but it's always helpful to repost from time to time for new people, as we see many plateau threads here on a daily basis. This happened to me recently too. I thought I was happily maintaining 114 pounds but nope, I'm 111 now. I didn't expect it since I'm in maintenance but bodies are weird.

I thought it would have been mentioned but as someone who is not new to MFP but new to the 'Community' section I hadn't seen or heard of it before and as you say there are so many people posting about plateaus!

Bodies are very weird and quite often slow to respond to changes. I know mine is. Keep it up though, you look awesome!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

If like me you are driving yourself nuts not seeing a result on the scale for weeks at a time read this: 100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/

It makes an awful lot of sense and has made me feel much more positive after not seeing results for what feels like an eternity (but probably isn't).

Whooshes can be daily discussions, as the "Why am I not losing?" and "When should I weigh?" posts occur daily. Since a "whoosh" is primarily a release of fluids, and since you can't control when it happens, it could be the answer to both and many more questions. Because you can't control the "when", the time of day you weigh doesn't matter, nor does your day-to-day or even sometimes week-to-week numbers matter. Knowing how this process worked at the start of my own process helped me to never worry about the scale number in the short term - only whether I was executing the process.

The "whoosh" phenomenon ought to be required reading around here.
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

What a great post. Ive heard of the woosh effect but never really understood it but what a great article. Now makes perfect sense.
    Thanks for the post and link
  • ravergirl1992
    Options
    Hi all,

What a great post. Ive heard of the woosh effect but never really understood it but what a great article. Now makes perfect sense.
    Thanks for the post and link

No problem at all, if it helped at least one person it was worth posting. :smile:
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I read about the whoosh yesterday and was cheered after having gained 2 oz over the week. This morning I weighed a whole pound less. YAY! The whoosh is really real. :smiley:
  • ravergirl1992
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »
    I read about the whoosh yesterday and was cheered after having gained 2 oz over the week. This morning I weighed a whole pound less. YAY! The whoosh is really real. :smiley:

It is indeed! I lost a pound overnight after weighing myself yesterday morning and this morning. Motivation after not losing anything for 12 days!