Counting calories is giving me terrible mood swings because I'm always hungry

Options
sam_c_93
sam_c_93 Posts: 23 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm a bit fed up today. It's been bang on a month since I started my healthy eating plan. I am always hungry. I'm sat here right now with my stomach growling knowing I need to save my remaining 600 calories for the evening because that's when I'm most likely to need them. Because of this hunger, I've been REALLY moody and irritable for the past month and it's bothering me that people have noticed. My boyfriend said he noticed a change as soon as I started counting calories and that I'm always low, upset or argumentative, but that is how I get when I'm hungry.

He then starts going on about how he likes me the way I am and prefers me happy and big than moody and trying to lose weight. I don't want to hear that. Why can't my mood be okay whilst I'm counting calories.

Does anyone have any advice on this because what I'm doing at the moment is not sustainable with my mood swings?
I've lost 16 pounds but have 7 and a half stone to go until my BMI is normal so it really feels like I'm not going to be able to do it. I don't want to be a moody mess for the next year. I will be single by the end of it that's for sure.

I don't understand why I'm hungry. I'm eating reasonably large meals to try and stay full but my stomach is hurting from hunger! I make sure I am constantly drinking water to check it's not thirst.

EDIT: left off my stats, sorry.
I eat 1370 a day (that's what MFP came up with when I put everything in). I weigh 214 pounds and am 5 foot 5. Female. I'm 25.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    How many daily calories? Are you exercising? Are you logging food? Using a food scale?
    Sounds like you need more calories and more protein in your life. I'm at 1600 and losing. No exercise.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How low calorie are you eating? How old are you? How tall are you? What do you weigh? I assume you're female?

You may be able to eat more calories and still lose weight without being miserable. You will lose more slowly, but you'll have a better chance of success.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    How about you give us your stats? I have a feeling you're eating too low in calories. Sure, you will experience some cravings or hunger here and there but you shouldn't feel as miserable as you are feeling.

What is your height, weight, activity level, what does your workouts look like, how many calories are you consuming right now, what is your goal weight, etc. ?
  • erincolleen1
    erincolleen1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you getting? Upping the protein when you're in a deficit can help with the hunger.

Also, are you exercising alongside counting calories? Whilst exercise isn't exactly necessary to lose weight, it can help to create a deficit and might help to improve your moods, especially if you're doing activities you enjoy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eating too little is giving you mood swings. What calorie goal did MFP suggest, and have you adjusted it yourself? You could up your calories from MFP's suggestion too, I think I would have done that, just log correctly.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Have you tried messing with your macros? I found a high protein lower fat, and lower carb diet left me very hungry and miserable. I switched to higher carbs, more fat and less protein (but still enough so I am not deficient). My breakdown right now is 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat. I try and make my carbs beans, lentils, and grains like quinoa and oats because I found the fiber/protein/carbs combo in those helps keep me satiated. Try messing around with them to find a combo that works for you. For example I would be absolutely miserable on keto but mostly plant based works for me. Unfortunately there is no diet that will work for everyone so it may take some detective work on your part!
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above poster...we need more info...sounds like you are not eating enough
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It could be that you are not eating enough (that's my guess), but it also could be that what you are choosing to eat or your meal timing is not working for you -- those things vary by individual.

If you give us more information, we can provide ideas/tips.

Another thought is that when I first started I tended to be hungry between meals (or think I was, just wanting to eat), because I'd been used to grazing throughout the day. For me, once I broke the habit it went away, but at first I let myself eat raw vegetables between meals. There are many such foods that are such low cals that you could snack on them (and log them, of course) and see if they help.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10521320/10-a-day-800g-veggie-fruit-challenge-participants-check-in#latest

I am stuffed full to bursting by joining the 800g a day veg/fruit challenge. I net 1600 average per day over the week and lose weight on that.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    There's nothing like counting calories and still being hungry. Check to make sure you're eating the correct amount of calories allowed to lose weight and then start eating foods with more substance and maybe add 2-4 oz of meat to an additional meal.
  • sam_c_93
    Options
    Sorry, so basic.

I log everything. I eat 1370 a day (that's what MFP came up with when I put everything in). I weigh 214 pounds and am 5 foot 5. Female. I'm 25.

I don't really exercise. I just walk a lot. I'm too hungry, I have hardly any energy to be doing stuff.

I can deal with cravings, it's the actual hunger that is getting to me. I'm on medication that increases my appetite but it normally just gives me cravings rather than stomach growling hunger.
  • sam_c_93
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Sounds like the problem is your calorie level, not the fact that you are counting calories. How many calories are you eating each day? With 105 pounds to lose you should be able to eat plenty while losing at a good clip. I'm talking 1800+ calories.

1800 calories - and I'd still lose?! Surely that would be very slow though? I'm eating 1370 which is the MFP number I got. I lost a lot of weight in the first two weeks but the last two weeks has been a pound each week. Slower than I'd like so I can't see how I'd lose weight by eating more.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yeah, eat more. Here's the numbers I got for you off scoobysworkshop.com.

wbjx5hd9rx2a.jpg

TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure - the amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight.
    The second number is to lose approximately 1 pound per week.

That counts exercise calories, so you wouldn't eat any exercise calories back if you chose to eat 1945 calories per day.

As you lose weight, you will need to recalculate. But for now, eat more, have more energy, enjoy the process.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Assuming a sedentary TDEE (desk job, a little bit of daily physical activity), your maintenance calories are coming up around 2000 for me.

So to lose a pound a week, you'd need to eat about 1500 (net) calories. So I'd recommend bumping it up to there, and see how you feel.

I also struggle with hunger, it sucks. I only have 20lbs to lose so I need to stay at a low calorie goal. Eating high-volume foods helps a lot.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    besides everyone else's good advice here, I'm also going to suggest that since you mentioned that you are eating decent sized meals, that perhaps some of your hunger is psychological.
    when I know I'm not able to eat everything I want, that's all I can think about. my hunger feels intense and I feel weak and lightheaded. On another day, when I'm busy and running around and doing stuff, I will have eaten the same amount and feel perfectly fine.
    Next time you're hungry, (assuming you've already eaten a meal and have no snacks left), drink some water and distract yourself.