Should i eat more?

Options
Or just stick to what i am doing. I'm 34 male 5'8" , i've just started weightlifting 3 times a week. Here is my weight loss so far since july 18. I've been eating a strict 1700 calories weighing everything on food scale. I'm starting to feel wore down.

7/18/2017 190.8 lbs
7/25/2017 188.4 lbs
8/02/2017 185.6 lbs
8/09/2017 183.4 lbs

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Seems you are getting fairly close to a healthy BMI so why not change to slower loss (0.25-.5 pounds a week) or maintenance.
  • durango33
    durango33 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    What is your goal? Seems you are getting fairly close to a healthy BMI so why not change to slower loss (0.25-.5 pounds a week) or maintenance.

My goal is to keep going until i lose the belly and flab, i don't know at what weight that will be.
  • durango33
    Options
    I was benching 185 on july 18 for 10 reps and now i can't even get to 5. Seems like my strength has gone to s/it
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    durango33 wrote: »
    I was benching 185 on july 18 for 10 reps and now i can't even get to 5. Seems like my strength has gone to s/it

Assuming nothing else has changed, loss of strength/speed during exercise can be a sign that one isn't eating enough.
  • durango33
    edited August 2017
    Options

Assuming nothing else has changed, loss of strength/speed during exercise can be a sign that one isn't eating enough.

I want to be stronger not weaker or what's the point. Going to bump it up to 2000 calories a day and see how that works,thanks.
  • durango33
    edited August 2017
    Options
    8/16/17 181.2

I'm down another 2.2 lbs this week, Should i be losing that fast on 1700 calories? If i'm understanding this correctly so my maintenance is 2700 calories on working out 3 days a week no cardio because i keep losing 2+ pounds a week, which is 7000 calorie deficit a week???

Would eating at 2200 calories be better, I just don't want to stall out...thank you
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I thought you said you would be bumping your calories up to 2000? Why haven't you ? You are clearly not eating enough and struggling in terms of your strength is a clear sign of that. I am afraid it is the way that once you are near a normal BMI you have to decide whether losing more is your priority or whether improving your strength/body composition is your priority.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    8/16/17 181.2

I'm down another 2.2 lbs this week, Should i be losing that fast on 1700 calories? If i'm understanding this correctly so my maintenance is 2700 calories on working out 3 days a week no cardio because i keep losing 2+ pounds a week, which is 7000 calorie deficit a week???

Would eating at 2200 calories be better, I just don't want to stall out...thank you

You're kind of at the stage where you need to pick your poison...you can either prioritize the weight loss and maintain as much muscle as you can, or you can prioritize the strength and take the weight loss as it comes.

Splitting the difference is possible, but you'll run the risk of not being happy with your results in either area. (as you're seeing now).

A 1000 calorie deficit is definitely prioritizing weight loss over strength maintenance. You can continue at this level if you choose to prioritize the weight, but should pull it back by 500 calories or so if you'd prefer to prioritize strength (while still losing weight at a slower pace than you have been).
  • durango33
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    I thought you said you would be bumping your calories up to 2000? Why haven't you ? You are clearly not eating enough and struggling in terms of your strength is a clear sign of that. I am afraid it is the way that once you are near a normal BMI you have to decide whether losing more is your priority or whether improving your strength/body composition is your priority.

I just started today 2000 calories but going to bump it to 2200 calories. I'd rather lose it slowly 1 pound a week while weightlifting. If i can eat more and still lose that's a win win for me. Thank you for taking time to answer my question.
  • durango33
    edited August 2017
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    8/16/17 181.2

You're kind of at the stage where you need to pick your poison...you can either prioritize the weight loss and maintain as much muscle as you can, or you can prioritize the strength and take the weight loss as it comes.

Splitting the difference is possible, but you'll run the risk of not being happy with your results in either area. (as you're seeing now).

A 1000 calorie deficit is definitely prioritizing weight loss over strength maintenance. You can continue at this level if you choose to prioritize the weight, but should pull it back by 500 calories or so if you'd prefer to prioritize strength (while still losing weight at a slower pace than you have been).

Thank you, Finally realizing it's a marathon not a sprint. Will cut to 500 calorie deficit so i can keep my strength and sanity, being an auto mechanic is enough stress for me. Will eat 2200 calories and report back in a month.