5x5 layout

Options
So I have seen alot of different ways to layout your 5x5 look at mine and give me suggestions if you think I should edit it

Work out days
Monday
Wensday
Friday

Workout performed (the same every day how ever I change the order I do it in)
Incline bench press. 5x5
Over head press. 5x5
Barbell row. 5x5
Dead lift. 5x5
Squat. 5x5

My bench press and over head press move very very slow
Everything else is moving quite fast and I'm happy just want opinions thanks

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I second stronglifts, or starting strength. Your 5x5 routine seems like a lot of volume for each day. Most routines split those into two days, so you might do squat/bench/row, then squat/overhead press/deadlift, rotating each workout.

Bench and OHP are usually slower than deads and squats, that's normal. But you're cramming a lot of volume into one workout, and if you're increasing weight every time that's going to become very taxing on your body over time.

If you're looking for something with a lot of volume, look at something like Ice Cream Fitness, it's basically stronglifts with a ton of accessory work https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • jamiefarnsworth453
    jamiefarnsworth453 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Very good advise thank you guys alot I will start encorperating suggestions tonight
  • jamiefarnsworth453
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Now it's still 5 reps to a set and 5 sets of each right? (Each being the 3 work outs that day)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Now it's still 5 reps to a set and 5 sets of each right? (Each being the 3 work outs that day)

Read through the programs listed. Stronglifts is 5x5 on most but deadlifts are slightly different. Starting Strength is 3x5. There are many different 5x5 programs. SL is often recommended but not at all the only option if you like 5x5 programs. Here's a bit more info: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/the-5x5-program.html/
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and how long you have been lifting, but I would recommend Starting Strength if you're newer. It was developed by a former powerlifter and coach. I think your current volume is too much if new or slightly older.

I also recommend you get the book Starting Strength as it is one of the best written examples of how to perform the major compound lifts.
  • jamiefarnsworth453
    Options
    So after alot of reading and considering suggestions here is the new layout

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Over head press 5x5
    Barbell row. 5x5
    Reverse curls. 5x5

Work out B.

Squat. 5x5
    Incline bench. 5x5
    Deadlift 5x5
    Curl. 5x5

I will alternate days see how it feels and maybe modify from there
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Why incline over flat bench?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »

He just wants to focus on the upper pecs. Same reason I do decline pushups.

Don't think curls are necessary but to each his own. I do decline pushups, pullups and dips (w/and w/o a vest for added weight) instead. Prefer these exercises because the are compound (not isolated) movements.

As for 5x5, OP, when you start to plateau (which will be sooner than later), I suggest that you switch to a pyramid scheme starting at about 60% of the prior max to 100% plus 1-5# (don't get stuck on the idea of just increasing the weight by 5# all the time) of the prior max from sets 1 to 5 instead of just doing the previous max +5# straight across.

You'll should find it easier to progress to higher weights and less necessary to resort to drop sets doing it this way.

After you start to plateau, you should also consider other set/rep schemes, including but not limited to 4x6, 3x8, 3x10 or 10x3, which all put you in the 24-30 hypertrophy muscular development zone. The only difference being the weight used to achieve the same calculated 1RM levels.

• jamiefarnsworth453
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »

He just wants to focus on the upper pecs. Same reason I do decline pushups.

Don't think curls are necessary but to each his own. I do decline pushups, pullups and dips (w/and w/o a vest for added weight) instead. Prefer these exercises because the are compound (not isolated) movements.

As for 5x5, OP, when you start to plateau (which will be sooner than later), I suggest that you switch to a pyramid scheme starting at about 60% of the prior max to 100% plus 1-5# (don't get stuck on the idea of just increasing the weight by 5# all the time) of the prior max from sets 1 to 5 instead of just doing the previous max +5# straight across.

You'll should find it easier to progress to higher weights and less necessary to resort to drop sets doing it this way.

After you start to plateau, you should also consider other set/rep schemes, including but not limited to 4x6, 3x8, 3x10 or 10x3, which all put you in the 24-30 hypertrophy muscular development zone. The only difference being the weight used to achieve the same calculated 1RM levels.

I will deff keep that in mind. Right now if I can't complete a set I redo the entire set with a lower weight so I guess it's a backwards pyramid scheme some times

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    My opinion, if you can't complete all the reps for a particular movement, then do a de-load. So, if you fail to complete all five sets on squat at X weight, three workouts in a row. Drop the weight 10%. Then continue to add weight each day as before.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Gains from bench & overhead press are slow, you may be chasing 5lbs for a while.