Vacation

Options
I'm leaving on the 26th to go to Seattle for the first time to visit a friend and I am super excited! It looks beautiful.

I want to enjoy my vacation, but I also want to stay on track and not gain back the 4 lbs I have lost so far.

Do you continue to use myfitnesspal on vacation or do you just take your vacation and enjoy yourself then get back on track when you return home?

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Just make good choices. Don't log. Skip the double mocha chocolate chip frappes and have plain coffee.
    I went to the CheeseCake factory and to my surprise they had a kale and quinoa salad. A pleasure to have something healthy. Look for healthy items on menus.
    There is no reason to have double decker deep dish meat lover's pizza with extra cheese on vacation. Unless that is how you enjoy yourself.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Just make good choices. Don't log. Skip the double mocha chocolate chip frappes and have plain coffee.
    I went to the CheeseCake factory and to my surprise they had a kale and quinoa salad. A pleasure to have something healthy. Look for healthy items on menus.
    There is no reason to have double decker deep dish meat lover's with extra cheese pizza on vacation.

Yes there is. Because vacation.

I rarely get vacations so if I go on one, I'm not worrying about my intake and I plan on enjoying myself even if that includes yes a pizza.
  • rebeccachobat
    rebeccachobat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    LOL a double decker deep dish meat lover's pizza with extra cheese would be one of the ways I'd enjoy myself XD
  • rebeccachobat
    rebeccachobat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would continue to log everything but allow myself some foods/drinks I wouldn't normally have. You will do a ton of walking and will earn it! I stayed near the space needle and aside from the cab ride to and from the airport, I was able to walk everywhere.

Thank you! I am flying into Seattle, but my friend lives in Camano Island. We will be spending a couple of days in Seattle but then we are going to lots of places like snoqualmie falls and lake diablo. Lots of walking for sure lol
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You are going to love your vacation (says a gal who lives in the Pacific Northwest). My approach: log before vacation, don't log during vacation, log after vacation. It's a vacation, so enjoy it! And sampling all the good food that is on offer is part of the fun. When you're at Pike Place Market, be sure to drop in at Beecher's Cheese and try their Flagship - they give samples. Finally, do not freak out if you weigh yourself once you get home and you've "gained" all that weight back. Your body may retain water from salty foods, travelling, etc. etc. I came home from one vacation with a 5 pound weight gain that disappeared within three days. Last week, I came home from a four day vacation where I'd LOST weight because of all the hours of walking we'd done on the beach. It pretty much balanced out the wine I drank every night!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Do what you can to stay on track...watch your portions and make good menu choices when you want to but do not go so overboard that you can't have fun. It's a vacation.

Also, remember that Seattle is known for it's seafood. Win win...you can eat the local favorites and it'll be relatively low calorie!
  • jenna_nicolo
    jenna_nicolo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just went on vacation across the Atlantic and was in the same boat as you. I'd lost 12 lbs and was hell bent on not gaining it back... but I'd also been planning this vacation for a long time and still wanted to do all the things I had planned (how could I expect myself to not eat chocolate croissants and my fill of wine in France?). So no I didn't log. And I didn't feel bad about it either; sometimes life gets in the way of routine and that's ok.

Funny thing is I lost a pound while on vacation, despite all the food and drink. Keep your portions in check and yes you can have that deep dish pizza and continue to lose weight. Just enjoy! We'll see you when you get back.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If you want to log, just try to get as close as you can on estimates. Enjoy yourself! You'll be fine.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't log while on vacation. It's not worth it to take away time and emotional energy from family and friends. When I came back from 1 and 1/2 week vacation last week, it looked like I had gained 6 lbs, but I waited a few days for the junk to clear my system and I'm still on track and I gained maybe 0.2 lbs.
  • kmshover
    kmshover Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We are getting ready to go to Amish Country here in Ohio..... Homemade wine, cheese, bread and whatever else I can't resist.... I keep telling myself all the walking to be done will balance it all out within moderation!!
  • etmiller1975
    etmiller1975 Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My family is going on the annual Disney world trip in September and I was really worried about this as well . Found an awesome criteria for their nutritional guide for this exact thread. Down 11 pounds in the wells and didn't want to destroy that eating like a killer whale at a baby seal convention.