Would you benefit from doing home workouts?

Options
2»

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Home for me. Dealing with other people when you just want to get something done is a special kind of hell.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I've never set foot in a gym in the entire 800+ days I've been a member of MFP. I simply stay at home, use my elliptical or my own body weight or a few free weights and do just fine. Honestly if I had to spend 10 minutes in traffic getting to and from the gym every morning I simply wouldn't go. That's 20 minutes I'd have to rob out of my workout daily. I guess if I was a body builder, needed super heavy weights to build larger muscles and couldn't afford them at home, it might be beneficial. But for most people, your own body weight is all you need.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I like having a mix of both. Going to the gym is a great excuse to get my butt out of the house, but having a decent collection of equipment and tapes so I can workout at home when time (or my laziness) makes getting to the gym too much effort.
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sometimes going to the gym or out can be such a drag! But, that's what home is for! Would you prefer to workout at home (if you had the right materials) or go to the gym?

I work out at home mostly, but sometimes I need the gym. Even when I'm not at the gym with a buddy, there's still a collective sense of motivation and hard work that I can feed off of, and I especially use the gym when I get into cycles of weight training. I don't get that opportunity at home, so I tend to use home-exercise for yoga, using YogaGlo. I also have some HIIT workouts that I do at home because they're quick and require next to no equipment. I work from home, so I can always squeeze in a quick routine between conference calls or something, and the yoga and HIIT is great for that.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I do work out at home, I just wish I could get my butt out of bed before work to do it.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I do work out at home, I just wish I could get my butt out of bed before work to do it.

I was the same way at first. I just had to make myself go to bed a couple hours earlier than I was used to. At first I used sleep aids to do it, but don't need them as much now. I get up at 4:45-5am every morning on days I work out and start my workout at 5:30am. I'm done with it by 7am to get ready for work and eat breakfast. I love it, this way nobody bothers me, it's done for the day, and nothing that happens during the day can interfere with it.

• StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

I was the same way at first. I just had to make myself go to bed a couple hours earlier than I was used to. At first I used sleep aids to do it, but don't need them as much now. I get up at 4:45-5am every morning on days I work out and start my workout at 5:30am. I'm done with it by 7am to get ready for work and eat breakfast. I love it, this way nobody bothers me, it's done for the day, and nothing that happens during the day can interfere with it.

I was doing it, before Daylights savings, now I wake up still at the same time because I put myself to bed, but I just lay there instead. LOL it really is ME being lazy. I fully admit it. lol I feel like some days I should come to the gym at work that way I have no excuse not to get up I just leave the damn house, but I haven't done that yet either. So inevitably I end up working out after work instead. I will get there some day.
  • karahunts
    karahunts Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    These days I actually prefer working out at home over riding to the gym. I recently signed up for the fitness blender 4 week workout program which is really whipping me into shape. I feel it's really helpful and they also have full length videos which are free to supplement the program on off days. I still make an effort to do the gym though for more variety in terms of weights.
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    -- some cycling on my trainer indoors at home

What kind of trainer do you use? I've been shopping around for one. I have a friend that uses rollers, but I live on the second floor of an apartment building, with a family underneath me who are NOT likely to appreciate the noise from the rollers. LOL.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The only thing I do in the gym is lift, and I only lift a couple times per week, so it's not really something that's an issue in regards to getting to the gym. I wouldn't like lifting at home...too much going on with two young boys and such. In the gym I can focus and it's also nice to have some me time. Plus, I've been going to my gym for a number of years, and I enjoy seeing and catching up with friends...

Other than that, I cycle...primarily outdoors. I do use my indoor trainer in in-climate weather or if I can otherwise not get out of my house, but it's not my favorite thing in the world and the kids inevitably interrupt me or start getting in fights, etc...
  • rlaramee2
    rlaramee2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I will never go back to paying for a gym membership now that I have a house with space in the basement. Even though a $10 per month bare-bones gym opened a couple blocks away, it still doesn't beat free and at home. All I have is a rower, bike, bench and weights, and a decent sized floor space to do my MetCons. And since I wall mounted a TV and added a sound system there's nothing the gym has over my home gym.
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you have what you need then yes. I do workout videos and have just 10lbs weights and walk around a lake around my house and I've already lost 13lbs. More if I would of been more consistent and eating healthier. But it works. I hate gyms