Hi everyone!!!

Options
My name is Rozzanna, and I started dieting back in 1993, ( 43 yrs old). I went for a check-up and the nurse told me I weighted in at 275. I left there with my mind made up I was too close to 300 and I wasn’t going there. Told my husband, and he was very supportive, but he would love me no matter what. (He always knew the right things to say.)
So, from that point I tried every diet on the market, even some that wasn’t. Given each one six months to work. I got serious, about my sugar intake. Cut out all salt. Stop going to fast food places… the whole nine yards. Finally, I hit that 300 mark. I cried for days.
My husband got me a year membership at a local fitness center. I went three days a week for one hour and a half. I left there sweating like a waterfall. After the year, I weighted in at 310.
So by this time I was used to eating little to nothing, so I starting fasting for two or three days at a time. My husband had died, and I really had no reason to cook anyway. Stayed between that 300 to 310 ever since.
Jan 1, 2011... I declared, no more dieting!!! The heck with it!! I’m big, just be happy with it. I'm 60 yrs old now, I don't have to look good for nobody (lol). Started hitting the McDonalds with the grandkids on the weekends. Doing the complete “grandma thang”, with the babysitting weekends, baking of the cookie, cakes and pies. Had a check-up the first of this month and lost 20 pound. Of course my doctor was pleased, and I’m trying to figure out how it happen. Go figure!! Thought I would get on this and track what happens next.

Replies

• sexybeautifulme
    sexybeautifulme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Rozzana,

I thought I was doing the right thing too and my weight kept creeping up. Then when I started a food journal, I realized I was NOT eating as good as I thought! I've found out that keeping track of what I eat has being the only way to loose it. Good luck!

PS - Have your doctor check your thyroid glands. Sudden weight gain and hard to loose weight is one of the many symptoms.
  • Jjames1978
    Jjames1978 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Your body is designed to keep you alive, so when your calorie intake is next to nothing it goes into "starvation mode", this is what kept us alive during the winters and the famine back in the day before life was so easy. What happens is your body basically runs on as very little as possible to so you don't burn your fat stores. It doesn't understand that you have plenty of fat stores. So when you increased your calorie intake your body said "yes, we have food!" so it moved away from the starvation mode, I would think you probably are still eating in some sort of a calorie deficit if you are losing weight, This is what MFP is designed to do is to help you monitor you Caloric intake so you don't hit Starvation mode or go over on your calories. It is an excellent tool, I have lost 100 lbs using this and the Livestrong website. I think I would try to move away from MCDonalds though and try to eat a little more healthy, but anyway good luck!
  • changeisgood55
    Options
    Rozzana,

I have to agree with morayma68. Once you actually start keeping track of everything you eat or drink you will become so aware of the calories you are taking in each day. But losing weight can be so confusing. You do great for a whole month and nothing happens but then you eat like crazy for one day and suddenly you lose 5 pounds. Our bodies are interesting pieces of work!! Just keep track of everything and exercise and you will reach your goals. We are here for you. Good luck and feel free to friend me if you like.
  • msintact
    msintact Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It seems my body just hordes everything I put in it, including water. After I've seen I can shed it,( that 20 pounds) I'm going to keep trying. Just means a lot more hard work. I have been keeping a food diary for years now. I was using that fitday online diary.. So I know I'm eating right. I see a dietician every three months. We go over my book, and decuss new things to try, and I was getting no where. She even had me eating at a certain time everyday. Breakfast was always at 8:00am.. ..Lunch at 12:00pm Snack (fruit) at 3:00pm and dinne at 6:00pm and then a snack (fruit again) at bedtime when I took my meds. This way my body was suppose to be assured that more food was coming in so it can release what it had. Did this for a little over a year..But my body said, "I don't think so". :) Thanks again for your reply. I need a good push from time to time, so I hope I hear more from you. Would like to add you as a friend... thank you. msintact