C25K Struggles

Options
I've made it to week 7, and it feels like progress has stopped... Are you supposed to be able to run for 20 minutes (or more) whenever you feel like it after W5D3? It's definitely not the case for me. Any amount of time more than 10 minutes is still daunting. My biggest challenge is that I feel like my calves are going to explode! I've tried stretching before, warming up then stretching...it always feels tight! Also, maybe a little bit of it is boredom. Any tricks to measure large chunks of time? Right now, I count songs instead of minutes to get an idea of how much longer I have to go without staring at the clock, but even waiting for 8 songs to pass is painful. New music is probably in order. I'm so close, but it's still so far away! Help!!!

Replies

• hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't answer your question but I've jist posted asking about c25k as I am just about to start and am a complete none runner. How have you found it from the beginning? Or were you doing some sort of running before starting it anyway?
    Hope someone can answer your question x
  • fubsyfern
    fubsyfern Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hnyzthms wrote: »
    Sorry can't answer your question but I've jist posted asking about c25k as I am just about to start and am a complete none runner. How have you found it from the beginning? Or were you doing some sort of running before starting it anyway?
    Hope someone can answer your question x

I wasn't a runner at all before C25K. It's taken a while, mostly because of issues with my feet ( I saw a podiatrist and am much better now). It's been challenging but doable up until the point I'm at now. Staying on a strict schedule helped to build up that momentum to run longer each week. I struggled a lot with breathing too...it felt like I was always out of rhythm. But I started to focus on it right at warm up, rather than when I started to run, and that's been really helpful too. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It will get easier over time. Keep to the program.
    I personally wouldn't stretch before running.
    After running I stretch. I also do downward dog and pigeon yoga stretches.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K last year (I am in my 50s). Once I got past the first 2 or 3 weeks, there was not one run that I felt I mastered or was in control. My very last run, the full 30 minutes, was a sloppy mess. I'm sure I looked ridiculous if anyone was watching. I was happy I completed it but a little disappointed that I didn't feel "good" doing it. I wanted to get to a point where I could run for at least 20 minutes and feel good/invigorated. I think getting to that point takes MUCH longer than 8 weeks!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Seriously I am running at a 12 minute mile. That's super slow but hey I figure getting it done will make it easier over time.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    'active' stretches before would be better - skipping, crab walks, windmills with your arms, anything to loosen up the muscles. Plus that gives anyone driving past me at 6am a good chuckle as I make my way down the street.....

I suspect you are running too fast and your stride is too wide. Try and land with your feet beneath you and keep your cadence (number of steps per minute) light and fast. I suffer very much from calf aches and this is partly to do with shoes and how I land or don't land (not using the whole foot - ie. landing on JUST the ball and toes without then putting the heel down will cause calf issues). I have discovered that I tend to swing my leg forward rather than use a cycling motion - a cycling motion incorporates the quads and glutes better. squeeze your glute a bit to open the hips out which will relax the legs a bit.

Slow it down, run at a pace you can sing. Sing the songs rather than listen to them. If you are getting bored then you are finding it a chore which running should never be.

Are you running outside or on a treadmill? A treadmill has its place, but running outside has distractions which help stave off boredom.

By the time you've concentrated on squeezing your glutes, picking up your legs, increasing cadence, keeping your steps light and short, slowing it down to sing, watching the sun come up and the world go past, believe me, you won't get a chance to be bored....

• PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Slow down. Seriously I am running at a 12 minute mile. That's super slow but hey I figure getting it done will make it easier over time.

who says that's slow?!

Right. I have done c25k (completed w10d1 of c210k) with 15 min miles. I know it's slow, but I'm ok with that. I was weirdly excited the other day when I was able to do a mile on the treadmill the other night at 4.5mph - which means I did a 14 min mile.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Seriously slow down to whatever you can do. I mean, I am going so slow that I could probably walk faster than I run (especially when I was doing C25k). I have gone MUCH slower than 15 min miles and I started out not being able to walk for 15 minutes straight at all (TBH, I had to just walk for several weeks in order to even start C25k in the first place). My advice is to go as slow as you need to do it- speed will build as you get stronger. Pushing yourself too much too fast as a recipe for injury. I still run slow as molasses, but I am faster than I started and have completed multiple 5k and 10k races- I am still a work in progress with my running.

Also, try listening to podcasts so you are not obsessed with the time you are running. That way you don't have to count songs or whatever, but just zone out and trust that your body is capable of more than your head is telling you.

For warm-ups, I like dynamic movements like lunges and skipping. After cool down walk, I like foam rolling and stretching my warm muscles. Maybe try to incorporate yoga a day or two a week just to stretch out your whole body on off days. Good luck, take it slow, and relax.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If you are running on a TM now, try running outside. It is a lot more interesting and time passes much more quickly. The first few runs may feel more difficult, but it will still be more interesting. If you must run on a TM (i.e. you live in Florida) then try varying your pace a bit. Start super slow - much slower than you are running now. Increase the pace slightly every 1/4 mile. Or increase/decrease the incline. By the end of your workout, you would be at a comfortable pace - not too fast, not too slow. By going faster as you warm up, it will feel easier than starting out at a brisk pace. Or you can do a pyramid - increase to the midway point, then decrease the pace. I do a progressive run on most of my TM runs - up to 20 miles.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I think I remember reading one of the more reliable posters on here saying that dynamic stretching before running was okay. Here is a great thread from reddit with links to videos with dynamic stretches for runners. They've been really helpful for me.

https://reddit.com/r/running/comments/6qngmv/running_physical_therapist_mike_stretching/
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Slow down. Find the pace that will allow you to run for 20 minutes (or ideally, more). If that means that you need to walk, then so be it.

In this case, the saying 'you have to learn to walk before you can run' is literal.

To pass the time, find some podcasts that you enjoy. Most of NPR's offerings can be downloaded for free. They're much more engaging than music and you may just find yourself looking forward to your next walk/run in order to pick up where you left off.

As an added benefit, finding the right pace will make running not feel like torture. You'll actually be able to enjoy yourself and focus on the stories being told by the podcast.

Finally, to reiterate the point...running shouldn't be dreadful. It should actually be fun (and by fun, I don't mean in an 'enjoyment of suffering' kind of way, I mean actual enjoyable fun). All you need to do is to find the right pace.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Agree with going slow. Also, you may have to redo some weeks until it feels more comfortable. I had to redo several weeks. (It must've worked because I'm now training for a half marathon and just did my first 10 mile run a couple days ago.) Trust the program but also trust how you're feeling if you're not quite ready to move on.

Oh, it also took a while to find the right music to make the time go by. Books work sometime, too. To listen to, not to read. Lol.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I listened to posters here on the MFP forums and slowed down my pace. I repeated Week 5 workouts until I'd mastered it. Then in Week 6 I did a 5K race (I hadn't started the C25K program soon enough to finish my training) and mostly ran it. Running 20 minutes without stopping really is a mind game. But once I was able to do that, I was able to finally go at a 12 to 13 minute mile pace for 30 minutes. I'm still running slow as molasses, but it's achievable. As far as stretching goes, I do that after my run while the muscles are still warm.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »

I second this! I'm just starting week 7 and running 12:30 minute miles :)