What's your "why"?

Options
So, I've always kept the motto of "what's my why" while on the journey to health, especially when things get tough. Whether it be to feel better about myself physically and mentally, to improve my health, to be around for as long as possible, to be able to by cute clothes, etc.

So, I'm interested to know what keeps you motivated. What's your "why"?

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have lots. The reasons why I am loosing weight is I hate not being able to sit on my knees or bend down easily. I miss wearing the kind of clothes I like. I hate the feeling of being overweight. The aches and pains. The hormones changes, the irregular/ heavy periods. The fatigue. I miss feeling beautiful. I want my kids to be healthier than me. I hate the change in me after weight gain. I want my confidence and self respect back. I want the best life I can give myself. I want to be the best me I can be.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've been both healthy and fit and fat and unhealthy and un-fit and back to healthy and fit...healthy and fit is far and away the better position to be in...

I enjoy being an active person and eating well...it's not really particularly burdensome for me...
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i have a few...
    • never stop learning,
    • stronger than yesterday,
    • you do good things, so do them
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have a history of eating disordered thinking that goes back decades, so one of my motivations is to keep that at bay and to focus instead on my fitness goals and my health as I am now in my early 40s and do not wish to waste anymore time on that aspect of my past. It is not something I am proud of, to be honest.

I also have COPD which was diagnosed when I was only 28 (I have 65% lung function) and I am determined to do all I can to maintain my fitness and to continue my cycling which is something I enjoy (when I am not stuck going up the hills, lol). I do not wish to become one of those who gives up and ends up being sedentary due to fear.

Finally, I suffer with quite severe anxiety and depression and exercise is the only thing I have found that really helps in any meaningful way.

So, my main reasons are to maintain the health I do have, to keep myself challenged, to improve my mood and to motivate others who have been where I have been.
  • cholloway88
    cholloway88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    I have a history of eating disordered thinking that goes back decades, so one of my motivations is to keep that at bay and to focus instead on my fitness goals and my health as I am now in my early 40s and do not wish to waste anymore time on that aspect of my past. It is not something I am proud of, to be honest.

I also have COPD which was diagnosed when I was only 28 (I have 65% lung function) and I am determined to do all I can to maintain my fitness and to continue my cycling which is something I enjoy (when I am not stuck going up the hills, lol). I do not wish to become one of those who gives up and ends up being sedentary due to fear.

Finally, I suffer with quite severe anxiety and depression and exercise is the only thing I have found that really helps in any meaningful way.

So, my main reasons are to maintain the health I do have, to keep myself challenged, to improve my mood and to motivate others who have been where I have been.

I don't think you should be embarrassed by what you struggled with in your past. I think it's something to be proud of that you fought the battle and won! I hate to hear that you struggle with health problems (something I struggle with as well), but I'm glad you found something that works for you!

As far as anxiety and depression, I 100% get that. Something I've dealt with for years now and it's one of those things that I have to just take day by day. As the saying goes "I've survived 100% of my bad days so far."

Thank you for opening up and being honest. I wish you nothing but the best! :smile:
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 948 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I enjoy life the most when I'm feeling lean and strong. I'm here to live my fullest life.

Exercise and good eating also keep my depression and anxiety under control. And finally, I like to look good!
  • gorham04
    gorham04 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Law School Graduation looming ahead and want to start off on the right foot for what comes next. :)
  • cholloway88
    cholloway88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    gorham04 wrote: »
    Law School Graduation looming ahead and want to start off on the right foot for what comes next. :)

Congrats on Law school! :smiley:
  • theritestuff
    theritestuff Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just like beer and pizza so I workout super hard.
  • LateefD18
    LateefD18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just want to live a healthy life and not worry about health problems.
  • gorham04
    gorham04 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @cholloway88 Thank you! :)
  • LizzieMay
    LizzieMay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can't stop waiting for my tomorrows, need to be healthy today...
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My why: I've rejoined my ballet company after recovering from a serious injury, and I want to surpass my pre-injury level of fitness.
  • rawrrgenn
    rawrrgenn Posts: 118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I want to be happy with what I see in the mirror, and losing the excess weight will help with that. I want to be fit so that I can be more comfortable with the idea of hiking and other outdoor activities. I want to be far away from a moment I had a year ago where I broke down after stepping on the scale (260lbs) and realizing how bad I let myself go-- most of my clothes was tight fitting or didn't fit. It was a dark time. Other people noticed my weight gain, and my uncle straight up told me I was getting fat and it was also what prompted me to get my butt on track. I weigh 215 and have ways to go
  • Raquel_Mama
    Raquel_Mama Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just to be as sexy on the outside as I feel on the inside. Have the confidence that I know is buried somewhere in there.