Very Low Calorie Diet - Medically supervised

Options
Looking for others on a Medically Supervised Very Low Calorie Diet - to see how it's going and to share advice:
-
49 yo male - ideally would loose 90-100 pounds according to the chart...

I am on week 13 of 18 with the full program before going to a modified program for an additional 6 weeks. It is a 830 calorie program shakes and bars program(they do allow an additional 100 calories of supplied extras 'if needed'). I meet with a support group, nurse/doctor weekly and have lab work done every 4 weeks.

It's not fun, but it has been working. My biggest concern is transition back to real food and maintenance there after.

Anyone else doing/have done anything else like this ? what have your challenges been?

Replies

• sexybeautifulme
    sexybeautifulme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am also on a medically supervised low calorie diet for eight weeks. I've being on it for two and a half only. I am allowed around 800 calories per day, but instead of measuring calories, I measure servings and combine foods in a certain way based on a guide they gave me. I also get a shot of HCG hormone five times a week, which they claim gets your body reset on burning stored fat first. So far, I've lost 11 pounds and I feel great. But most importantly, I am learning how to eat right! After the 8-weeks, I will have a foundation of the right foods for me. I am expected to go back to a higher calorie diet after the 8 weeks plus add exercise. I am coping very well though. I don't crave the "old" food habits and I'm learning to cook my meals differently. I got rid of salt, oil (very hard to do when you are an olive oil lover!), and just learning new eating habits altogether. I think that is the key for staying healthy after a diet. If we don't change the way we eat permanently, we go back to square one. Good luck!
  • lgwhizz
    lgwhizz Posts: 65
    Options
    I did a diet in the uk called lighter life. I lost 3 stone (42pounds) in 4 months. I was on something like 500cals a day with either shake or soups for meals - NOTHING else. Not a low cal drink, not a small snack, fruit, veg, NOTHING. All i could drink was black tea/coffee and water. Once i got into ketosis i have to say it wasnt as bad as it sounds as i basically was not hungry. Although at family gatherings, etc i was in such a bad mood sitting there with my shake and going out to a restaurant was just not even entertained.

The good - the amount of weight loss in such a short time.

The bad - ALL of my weight has gone back on, even without eating too bad, i think about 14pounds of it went on within about 2-3 weeks. i know that sounds extreme but i had gone from 500cal to about 2000(ish). My hair also fell out (not all of it!) but once i had finished in the shower it was clogging the drain there was so much. I looked v tired, not healthy. It cost ALOT of money but i suppose you werent buying anything else to eat/drink except tea bags and water!

I must point out that i did not do the maintenance part of the diet to re introduce foods, i think this part is VERY improtant. I just got sooo bored, gave up as was thinner and didnt finish the programme. I also should point out that i know people who did do th maintenance, follow it to the letter til the end and have also put all the weight back on. I think this is becasue your body gets used to having so little cals when you go back to normal eating it just cant cope and also because there is no learning about fooods, portion control, etc.

This is why i am here, to try and eat better, exercise more and lose weight the healthy way. I am not knocking you or your programme and wish you all the luck in the world. My adivce would be to follow your plan right to the end, but even then keep a watch on how your body responds to foods again.

Good luck and i hope this helped. x
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think I could do it. I like food!
  • change_happens
    Options
    I am not doing a low cal diet. but my hub is on a 1200 or less carb diet, and he can't put anything in his mouth without gaining weight happily, he has lost 35lbs, but sadly, low calorie diets aren't very sustainable unless, of course, you choose to eat this way for the long haul.

I personally upped my caloric intake, because what happens when I need to drop a bit for more weight loss, or when I hit a plateau? If I am already low on the calorie intake scale, than dropping any lower wouldn't be good... if already on a low calorie diet.

So, I say, do what you have to do, and very slowly introduce things back into your diet. Make sure you increase your activity at that point to keep your metabolism burning as it should.

I am no expert... not a fitness guru... I just read AND read AND read AND read a WHOLE LOT! :)
  • altak9
    altak9 Posts: 20
    Options
    My husband and I are doing a Medically Supervised program. I won't use the word diet because that isn't what it is. It is actually a program through the University of FL to change our lifestyle. By changing our eating habits, we can change our lifestyle. My husband is on 1500 calories a day and I am on 1100 a day. We can eat anything that we want to eat as long as we stay at our calorie goal. We both are averaging loosing 1 pound a week. I thought the first 2 weeks would kill my husband (or so he thought) but since getting past that point we really like it.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I can't see anyone doing this program unless they were backed into it for medical reasons - if you are relatively healthy otherwise you have other options. I could no longer exercise and was in chronic pain.

This program is what the clinic does to qualify you for surgery. I have good and bad days with it. GI issues and fatigue mostly. I've pretty much collapsed my social/family life to avoid any activities where there would be food or where I can't get a way from food.

Transition and long term is really what I'm most worried about though. I've heard enough horror stories about people ballooning back after going off. I meet with the transition dietitian to plan things out on August 17th. and I'll start when when I'm ready after my BMI drops below 30.