One change at a time...first month limiting sugar

Options
It was 5 weeks ago, my doctor told me that I had entered the pre-diabetic stage. Yikes. Coincidently, I watched "The Way We Think About Sugar Is Going To Change". Another coincidence is that I was taking a course about "Tiny Habits" a concept Dr. BJ Fogg who is an expert in creating systems to change human behavior.

A friend and I decided to make one tiny change in the way we eat. We decided to limit our daily sugar intake to 50g or less and use MFP to track it. I've been very diligent about it and here are my results: down 8.8lbs, more energy, less cravings, clothes are fitting looser, and the dark ring around my neck and dark spots spots on my knees (condition that pre-diabetic and diabetic people develop that indicates too much glucose in the bloodstream) are gone!

Limiting my sugar intake has been miraculous. Easier than any fad diet I've been on before (including the tactic of just limiting the amount of calories I eat). I know that I'm going to be able to sustain this lifestyle change with fun and ease.

Last weekend I attended a nutrition class for pre-diabetics. It was very informative. I will continue to limit my daily sugar intake using MFP and all your support and encouragement out there. During this second month, I'm taking on one more "change" since attending that nutrition class which is limiting carbohydrates between 35-45g per meal (which is for women; 45-60g/meal for men). I'm going to do this for the next month or so. MFP makes it so easy to track this.

One change at a time. It really does make a difference in making a lifestyle change. When the third month approaches, I'll keep you all posted if I incorporate another "change". Thanks for all your support. =)

Replies

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Yes! Small steps, sustainable eating plans... a slight change of lifestyle... Good Work! I hope you have every success.

BTW - the "Pre-Diabetic" thing is what kicked me in the hiney, too. I so do not want to have to inject insulin like my husband!
  • mhart72
    mhart72 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Following
  • jessicaram2011
    jessicaram2011 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You are so right.
  • smallsteps2success
    smallsteps2success Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS which causes insulin resistance. Not diabetes but can become diabetes and heart disease real fast. I found that limiting carbs and sugar has been the best thing for me to do. I started doing it about 3 weeks ago and am down nearly 8 and a half lbs. My cravings disappeared as well, although the initial cutting out carbs made me feel like crap. Good luck!

Wow! Nice job! Keep it up! =)
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Michelle, that's fantastic news!

My wife's diabetic. I tested myself about 3 weeks ago out of curiosity and realised that I'd entered into the pre-diabetic range. That shocked me into sorting my own diet out which has been a long time coming.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    what a smart way to get healthy...love it.
  • Chanda2BFit
    Chanda2BFit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    New update: Went in yesterday for my blood sugar level retest. Great news! I am out of the pre-diabetic range and am now in the healthy range for blood sugar levels. It's even lower than it was 5 years ago. I'm so elated that my hard work and diligence has paid off. Not giving up...gonna continue on this awesome journey of health. =)

Great job! I found out I’m pre-diabetic and am now starting down that same path for better health.
  • Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is how I started my journey and I can't believe the difference it makes to simply limit how much sugar a person eats. One thing at a time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    New update: Went in yesterday for my blood sugar level retest. Great news! I am out of the pre-diabetic range and am now in the healthy range for blood sugar levels. It's even lower than it was 5 years ago. I'm so elated that my hard work and diligence has paid off. Not giving up...gonna continue on this awesome journey of health. =)

have you got another update @smallsteps2success?
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Congratulations smallsteps2success!! Down 36 lbs, gone from 12/14 to 8/10 and your blood work is great. So glad for you. You are an inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!