Bananas?

Options
Can anyone answer. Why organic bananas stay yellow twice as long as non-organic?

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I've frequently bought organic bananas and never noticed this to be true. They browned just as quickly.
  • ShortRound82
    ShortRound82 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It happens everytime for me
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Many stores get bananas that are green when they get them to the warehouse and then gas them to make them ripen faster. This reduces spoilage in transportation.

Organic bananas would clearly not be subjected to this chemical process,so it makes sense.

Not all chains do this, though.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Never noticed this about organic versus regular banana.

I have heard that if you separate the bananas, putting them out of reach of one another, they will ripen at different times. Something about them being near each other makes them all ripen at once.
    I tried that once. My boyfriend thought I lost my mind with them spread all over the kitchen... I think they did ripen at slightly different times, though.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere if you wrap the top of the bunch of bananas with cling wrap they ripen more slowly
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If you need to ripen other fruits quicker just let them hang out with bananas.

I've heard about the cling wrap but haven't tried it.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I buy bananas 4-5 bunches at a time based on whatever is cheapest. Sometimes organic is cheaper. I have never seen any difference in ripening times.
    Also... organic is BS. Save your money.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've tried the cling wrap thing, it doesn't work
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I eat them too quickly to have ever noticed. I just buy the regular ones because I refuse to pay $2.99/lb for something I can get for $.59/lb
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    clean wrap doesnt work for me. Never noticed a difference in how fast the organic vs. regular bananas ripen. I have found if I seperate my bunch of bananas it helps them last just a little longer.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I will try separating them
  • ShortRound82
    ShortRound82 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I find they taste a little better as well