Pcos

Options
Any one else here battling with PCOS and weight gain?

Replies

• theWODdoll
    theWODdoll Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS also! It totally sucks and makes weight management a lot tougher than the average person but it is possible to be lean. Jillian Michaels was my inspiration when I was first diagnosed, she has PCOS too. I'm a trainer as well so if you have any questions or need a support buddy, don't be shy! :)
  • philhagan
    philhagan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too know what isPCOS?
  • crypsyx
    crypsyx Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    philhagan wrote: »
    I'm interested too know what isPCOS?

polycystic ovarian syndrome
  • meetingacrosstheriver
    meetingacrosstheriver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've also got PCOS which was diagnosed when I was 15. I also had to have one of my ovaries removed after a severe torsion which is thought to have happened as a result of complications from PCOS. After this, and a host of other issues, it has been much harder to move the excess weight. Feel free to add if you are looking for more support buddies :smiley:
  • gcostello19
    gcostello19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I just find no matter what I cut out my diet I'm not loosing, for 3 weeks I've worked out and I've ate a lot less cabs but all I've lost is 1lb that doesn't seem right :(
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,063 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I just find no matter what I cut out my diet I'm not loosing, for 3 weeks I've worked out and I've ate a lot less cabs but all I've lost is 1lb that doesn't seem right :(

Are you logging your food here? Weighing all foods?
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm not really "battling" it - not sure what that means? But I have it. Doesn't make any difference to me losing weight though.
  • vganggirl
    vganggirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have it, finding it so hard to shift this weight I'm trying so hard. Taking 2000mg metformin a day, helped at first but doesn't any more. Feel free to chat :)
  • rishabh469
    rishabh469 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well its not about eating less ... Thrs tip increase the protein workout in Morning keep the ratio of about 50%protein 25% fat 25%carb
  • shoilidk
    shoilidk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Same here. It sucks. In terms of weight loss though it may be slow but you will get there! Worry less about losing weight and make your entire goal about being healthy :) I found that to be more motivating than obsessing over how many pounds I lost.
  • ree2lose
    ree2lose Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I was able to lose 50 lbs a few years ago but boy was it a lot of work. I was doing cardio 3 hours a day (twice per day for 1-1/2 each) and strength training 3 days per week. I don't have the time nor the motivation to do it like that again so I really have to watch what I eat this time by reducing carbs and sweets. Hopefully an hour a day of cardio mixed in will work.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    rishabh469 wrote: »
    Well its not about eating less ... Thrs tip increase the protein workout in Morning keep the ratio of about 50%protein 25% fat 25%carb

No.
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and boy does that weight cling lol. My first five weeks tracking cals on MFP and exercising 3 days a week the scale did not move. Not a single pound was lost according to the scale. It took 10 weeks for the scale to show a loss. we do lose weight slower than others without PCOS but it can happen.
  • hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know several friends who had PCOS and got it under control or it disappeared by being a special diet. Now before all the anti-low carbers attack me, use your self control and keep your mouth shut. They found that being on a low carb diet, they were able to stabilize the issues they were having with fertility and weight gain. My guess it has to do with eliminating major spikes in blood sugar (and thus hormones and inflammation).
  • oelr9
    oelr9 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have pcos too. I have had it for several years and it is such a struggle to lose the weight and be more healthy. I am open to new friends and for people to share their story with me.
  • getmeowthofhere
    getmeowthofhere Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    hale03071 wrote: »
    I know several friends who had PCOS and got it under control or it disappeared by being a special diet. Now before all the anti-low carbers attack me, use your self control and keep your mouth shut. They found that being on a low carb diet, they were able to stabilize the issues they were having with fertility and weight gain. My guess it has to do with eliminating major spikes in blood sugar (and thus hormones and inflammation).

I have PCOS and the low carb next to no sugar thing helps me lose weight. If I keep my carb intake at about 100-180 grams a day and my sugar between 20-60 grams a day I see results. The insulin resistance is what causes the weight gain and higher levels of insulin increase testosterone levels which causes the reproductive issues. As for OP, more severe cases sometimes require metformin to assist with losing weight and helping with insulin resistance. My doctor recommended it, but I wanted to see if i could manage it without meds. 30lbs down so far.
  • VonTinka
    VonTinka Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I also have pcos, i lost over 3 stone and was slim thanks to MFP a couple of years ago. It took me a while but i kept it off for a good few years too then it came back on slowly and i had a ton of other symptoms too such as acne but my weight is on my stomach more than anything now then i was diagnosed with pcos. I'm trying really hard but i'm so fed up now...my cholesterol has gone high and my blood pressure because of it so currently going through gp appointments to try get it sorted to a 'extent'. Eating healthy everyday then seeing my weight budge down then just creep back on is so depressing because i really am trying and i'm going to the gym too doing more cardio...so fed up i feel like i'm wearing rubber tyres around my stomach i'm also on cyclosporin for my psoriasis which doesn't seem to be helping as i'm gaining stretch marks.....however, i am trying to push through surley i have to get results eventually :(