Will I still lose weight eating carbs?

Options
I'm on a 1,200 calorie diet..
Today I hit my calorie count, I went like 7 calories over. For breakfast I had yoghurt, lunch a small salad and dinner I ate a chicken toastie and some potatoes... I weighed it all and I'm only 7 calories over.. will I still lose weight eating bread and potato if it's within my calories or should I be removing it from dinner?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Absolutely. Don't remove anything
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weight management is about energy (calories)...it doesn't really have anything to do with carbs.

When you consume a balance of energy...i.e. CI=CO, you maintain your weight...when you consume more energy than your body requires, that excess energy is stored as body fat...body fat is just stored energy for later...it's like your backup generator. When you consume less energy than your body requires, that deficiency has to be made up...this is when your backup generator kicks on and you burn body fat.

Going low carb is just one of many ways of creating an energy deficiency...by eliminating or restricting an entire macro-nutrient, you are restricting calories...
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what a chicken toastie is?!? :o It sounds like something I need to try!

Me too!!

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A toastie is pretty much like a toasted sandwich with cheese and any other fillings that you put in and put in a grill with two metal plates so the cheese melts. Mine was chicken, cheese and some BBQ sauce. In the UK we call them toasties haha

That sounds nice. I have a panini press collecting dust in somewhere. I should find it and put it to good use.
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I eat 162g carbs every day and still lose.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs galore. Pizza, naan, multiple times a week. Lost weight.
    On a different note, 1200 Cal seems pretty low
  • owilliams75
    owilliams75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Arnold wheat thins almost everyday and last night I had 2 crescent rolls. I started at 145 and I now weigh 136. Yes you'll lose weight
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yes OP you can eat carbs and still lose weight. Calories are what matter for weight loss. I'm always curious where people get their misconceptions about diet and weight loss. Did you read somewhere that eating carbs prevents weight loss or makes it more difficult?

Additionally, 1200 cals is the minimum target for women and may not be necessary to go that low in order to lose. What are your stats: height, weight, goal weight? What rate of loss did you choose? Do you exercise? Do you log and eat back a portion of those calories when you do?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not evil! Repeat: not evil!

(But saying that: I know I've done better in cutting them way down and upping my protein.)

Macros are good guidelines, but nothing horrible happens if you go over or under them. It's the overall calorie intake that matters. Do not freak out.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes OP you can eat carbs and still lose weight. Calories are what matter for weight loss. I'm always curious where people get their misconceptions about diet and weight loss. Did you read somewhere that eating carbs prevents weight loss or makes it more difficult?

Additionally, 1200 cals is the minimum target for women and may not be necessary to go that low in order to lose. What are your stats: height, weight, goal weight? What rate of loss did you choose? Do you exercise? Do you log and eat back a portion of those calories when you do?

magazines, friends, tinterwebz even the MyFitnessPal official blog is often full of that sort of tripe.

l62yhm2o2ktu.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

magazines, friends, tinterwebz even the MyFitnessPal official blog is often full of that sort of tripe.

l62yhm2o2ktu.jpg

Oh no I know. I meant specifically which sites or blog posts did the OP read because usually where there is one misunderstanding, there are several more lurking, and knowing what the source was would help identify other potential pitfalls for the OP.
  • valkongr
    valkongr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can eat 3 mars bars per day and still lose weight
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

l62yhm2o2ktu.jpg

Oh no I know. I meant specifically which sites or blog posts did the OP read because usually where there is one misunderstanding, there are several more lurking, and knowing what the source was would help identify other potential pitfalls for the OP.

Facebook
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat b/t 1600-1800 cals daily. I eat about 50% from carbs, and I am down 30lbs.