Father in-laws birthday

Options
So today is my father inlaws birthday. We are getting together for North Carolina BBQ(which my mother inlaw brought back from NC) and cake and other great food. NC BBQ and cake are my weaknesses. I have finally gotten to the point where I am highly motivated and am keeping within my calories everyday and have lost 4lbs. I have a cruise that I am going on with my husband the end of Sept and I want to get as close to my goal weight as possible. I want to bring my own food with me to the party so I won't have to worry about accidentally going over my calories but I don't want to upset anyone or bring on the thousands of questions about why I am not eating what everyone else is eating. My inlaws are those lucky type of people who can eat whatever they want and NEVER gain an ounce. They have no idea what it is like to struggle with being over weight. Also I have to weighin tonight at work. We are having a weight loss competition and if I win I get an extra $100 to take on the cruise with me! What would you all do?

Replies

• Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    What will I do. I would eat that they have but limit yourself.
  • Natasha7t2
    Natasha7t2 Posts: 129
    Options
    Argh - flipping people who don't gain weight!!! :mad:

Great idea about bringing your own food to the BBQ. When I'm highly motivated and on a mission with weight-loss I have to adopt an all-or-nothing attitude where I won't touch a morsel of food - unless it's my own. If you can do this, you will forget about the food 5 minutes after leaving the BBQ and I doubt you will feel like you have missed out. Just keep focusing on your goal!

HOWEVER.. if you really can't resist having something from the BBQ, you could just stick to chicken or steak and bypass potato-salad, coleslaw, bread etc. BBQ-d meat, I believe, is mostly healthy.

Good luck with everything and have a great time at the BBQ and on the cruise :smile:
  • audweaver
    audweaver Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks. I am the same way once I am determined to loose the weight if I cant count it I dont want to eat it. If I do eat something I cannot count I end up go hog wild and have to start from square one. Its hard being around people who totaly do not understand how hard it is to keep your weight under control. They are all skinny and I always feel like a big fat cow around them and then they push food on me and say I dont have to watch what I eat! It is so frustrating!
  • Natasha7t2
    Natasha7t2 Posts: 129
    Options
    Thanks. I am the same way once I am determined to loose the weight if I cant count it I dont want to eat it. If I do eat something I cannot count I end up go hog wild and have to start from square one. Its hard being around people who totaly do not understand how hard it is to keep your weight under control. They are all skinny and I always feel like a big fat cow around them and then they push food on me and say I dont have to watch what I eat! It is so frustrating!

Yup, we really are the same! If I go off the scale (excuse the pun), even just a little bit, I will literally stuff my face for the rest of the day with the intention of starting from square 1 the next day. And then the next day comes and I don't feel motivated so I intend starting the day after, and the same happens, and so on and so on, which is why it's vital that I stick to my diet as soon as I get the charge of motivation I need... like now! Are you the same?

I agree. SO annoying when naturally slim people rub their slimness on you. Empathy and compassion is what's needed!

What is your BBQ strategy? It might help to put something down here instead of just having it in your head, and then you may be more likely to stick to it.

Don't lose the will! xx
  • audweaver
    audweaver Posts: 23
    Options
    We are very much alike! I do the same thing. After a cheat I say oh I can pick right back up tomorrow. Fat chance! It usually takes a week or so to get myself back to where I was. I love food and it is my addiction! Once I have that addiction under control I am ok, but it only takes one cheat and i loose it! I am going to bring my own food to the BBQ and I am going to try my best not to let them bully me into eating anything else. Luckily we are having it at my sister inlaws house who lives next door because if I have to I will make up an excuse for having to run home for something. Right now I am having a hard time with convincing myself that I do not have to taste the cake! Wish me luck!