Joining the Army next year and need to lose 50 lbs!

Options
Hi! I'm looking for anyone who is or has been in the military (or anybody really) who can give me tips and motivation for losing the weight and getting stronger.
My name is Taylor and I am a 26 year old female. I gave birth to my first child 7 weeks ago, a baby boy. I have decided to join the Army and have given myself a year to lose at least 50 pounds.
This app has been super helpful so far with counting my calories, but a little motivation from others is always nice

Replies

• plantsbeatpills
    plantsbeatpills Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    50 lbs in a year is about a pound a week. So figure out between food and exercise how to get ateast a 500 calorie deficit daily. Obviously, you will want to work
    out several times a week to get ready for boot camp.
  • bryantj08
    bryantj08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/army-weight-rules.html

Above is a chart for weight standards for females. You should concentrate on body fat percentages and not weight. There are plenty of people in the military that would not be described as skinny. If you're serious about this, you should go ahead and commit. You'll have a 10-week basic training to get you in shape. I would recommend training beforehand, but you don't need to be a marathon runner. One Soldier at my basic training lost 45lbs. Getting your mind right is probably at least if not more important.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Any accomplishment I make will always pale in comparison to my military service.

Very doable and you've set plenty of time to accomplish this goal. Make sure you are well prepared and speak with several veterans, your recruiters, etc. Know what to expect and be prepared for this. This is much more a mental game and the discipline you learn here will carry on for the rest of your life.

Think long term and pick a specialty that transitions well into a civilian career. Look for specialties with a higher advancement trend.

Note you are entering into a community where your physical readiness is key to advancement and recognition, so you will want to be in the best possible shape throughout your career.

I had the privilege of leading two platoons of female recruits through boot camp and having each and every one pass or exceed the male standards. Never settle for minimum - always strive to be outstanding!
  • vnbuckmaster
    vnbuckmaster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get in touch with your recruiter and pick his/her brain. Many times they have a fitness regime to follow to get to your goal and great tips. Worth a shot.
  • trlabath54
    trlabath54 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the awesome advice! I definitely have to work on my body AND my mind, which will not be easy. That's why I'm thankful I found this awesome, driven community of people who want to better themselves and help others do the same.

Thanks again everyone!