12lbs in 2 weeks this cannot be possible can it?

Options
Hi Guys

I am not complaining but somehow the scales show I have lost 12lbs in the last 2 weeks

I am 3 months in to this new healthy eating lifestyle and to date have lost 46lbs. I had a lot to loose to start with my starting weight was 326lbs which is really heavy. I eat 1200 healthy calories a day (sticking to the 80/20 rule in terms of clean eating - most of the time) swim 2 x weekly and have a personal trainer that I see each week.

I know some of you will say 1200 calories is not enough but I eat healthy and am not hungry I feel fitter with more energy than I have ever had. I am not unwell had a full MOT before starting this so. I also stay well hydrated. so....

Is it really possible that the scales have dropped so much in 2 weeks?

Lucy

Replies

• LondonLad
    LondonLad Posts: 31
    Options
    This is very possible if you are also keeping your carbs low (under 40g).

Altough I have never lost 12lbs I have lost 9lbs in 7 days.

Well done you
  • shootoutx3
    shootoutx3 Posts: 24
    Options
    It's definitely possible..I've lost 15 in 3 weeks..just make sure you aren't starving yourself..I don't think I could handle 1200 cals a day lol
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I started at 270 and averaged 5-6 lbs each week for my first 4 weeks. I'm closer to 3-4 lbs a week now and I'm eating about 1400 calories a day 6 days a week. The 7th isn't pretty but I try not to blow it too badly. Either you've had 2 extremely productive weeks or your scales have gone a little insane. My scales are pretty consistent but they go berserk occaisionally. I usually step on and off a few times just to get a couple of different readings and put them away and then they're fine for awhile. I know it's not much of an answer but it's all I've got:)
  • shawnalaufer
    Options
    I once loss 9 lbs in a week doing Medi Weigh Loss' week 1. It was a grueling 500 calories a day- very low carb, high protein, low fat diet.
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    Well if you did it it's very well possible :) I lost a bunch of weight when I started restricting my caloric intake for the first time. I went from 160lbs to 150lbs in less than two weeks. For me, it slowed down after that. Also, as you approach a healthier weight, it will definitely slow down even more. My current weight loss rate is 4-5 pounds a month. And in the last month I lost only 1 pound.

So if you are sure you are eating well and you feel good with your current caloric intake, just be happy about shedding that weight. Now if you ever start to feel weak or like something is wrong then you might have to increase you intake a bit. You'll still see a loss but a slower rate.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible. So very happy, for you keep up the fine work. When you eat right, exercise, Have a positive attitude you have nothing to lose but the weight. You Can do this! You WILL succeed at this ! I have been on this site 225 days and i have lost 135 pounds. My trick drinking water , exercising(running) and watching my sodium levels.
    S.W 350 H.W 369
    C.W 215
    G.W 150
    I wish you the best, but you don't need it you got this:wink:
  • sistermooooon
    Options
    Good for you! You sound like you are making very intelligent choices and it's paying off! I started eating better the day after my doctor's appointment on July 11th when he watched me cry in his office over my 11lb weight gain since January and made me feel horrible. I was 266lbs. Yesterday the scale said 250lbs. YAY! 16 pounds in 18 days! Go Us!!!!! (I'm 5'6")
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Looks like your daily calories is too low. Only eating less than 900 most of the day? Of course it make sense you lost 12lb in 2 weeks. BUT, it's NOT good at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eat a minimum 1200 calories a day, plus your exercises calories back!!!

Good luck
  • mommyrox05
    mommyrox05 Posts: 238
    Options
    This is amazing..and I would say totally normal. I started out at almost 200lbs and was loosing 4 lbs aweek for the first month and then it slowed to 2-3 lbs a week! Cheers to you! :flowerforyou:
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Looks like your daily calories is too low. Only eating less than 900 most of the day? Of course it make sense you lost 12lb in 2 weeks. BUT, it's NOT good at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eat a minimum 1200 calories a day, plus your exercises calories back!!!

Good luck

Thank you everyone for you words of encouragement

atomdraco – in answer to your statement I have discussed my dietary intake with my doctor and you need to remember that not all calories are equal – I am very careful to keep my micro nutrient intake balanced and the low calories tend to be because I am reducing my processed carbs (not low carbing but 40% Carbs 40% protein 20% fat – well that’s what I am aiming at.) would you be happier that I eat some chocolate or other unhealthy foods just to make my calories read 1200. In terms of exercise that is a moot point on here... my personal trainer says to eat them if I am hungry and to listen to my body in relation to how much I eat. As a long term ‘fat person’ listening to my body is a new skill I am learning and now am starting to trust. So before you start being so critical in CAPITAL LETTERS think that many of us have been criticised far too often already .....

Rant Over
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    atomdraco – in answer to your statement I have discussed my dietary intake with my doctor and you need to remember that not all calories are equal – I am very careful to keep my micro nutrient intake balanced and the low calories tend to be because I am reducing my processed carbs (not low carbing but 40% Carbs 40% protein 20% fat – well that’s what I am aiming at.) would you be happier that I eat some chocolate or other unhealthy foods just to make my calories read 1200. In terms of exercise that is a moot point on here... my personal trainer says to eat them if I am hungry and to listen to my body in relation to how much I eat. As a long term ‘fat person’ listening to my body is a new skill I am learning and now am starting to trust. So before you start being so critical in CAPITAL LETTERS think that many of us have been criticised far too often already .....

Rant Over

So does NOT ask you to eat unhealthy food to get more "calories" in just for the sake of it. Look at your diary, you don't eat much of vegi or fruits. Have a handful of healthy nuts (don't worry about the "fat" in nuts, those are not saturated fat, but good fat, which will help you raise the HDL and lower your LDL). Not all fat are equal, not all carb are equal either (go whole grain).

You got a good ratio going on, just add bunch of healthy food/snacks like:
    * nuts
    * greek yogurt
    * vegetable
    * fruits
    * dairy products (like milk, cheese)
    * whole grain

BTW, chocolate is not all that bad. Go dark chocolate (portion) for a treat once awhile.

Eat smart doesn't mean eat nothing, fuel your body with the healthy stuffs.

I know you are not going to like what I posted, but I'm not afraid of speaking truth. And I'm generously care (not picking on you) for my fellow MFPs to have a healthy lifestyle while they are reaching their goal and enjoy themselves.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy for your great loss in two weeks. But I agree looking at your diary that it's really, really low. Your doctor approves you eating 838 calories and a 400 calorie burn from exercise? that is just over 400 calories to run your body for 24 hours. 400! Look up your BMR, It is, I'm sure, at least three times that minimum.

I know some people go this low but it's usually medically supervised. AND it's not long-term. You may see these losses for awhile, but just know that you might plummet at some point - your body may hang onto the weight, your metabolism may slow down, and your energy level may be nonexistent. This caloric deficit is not sustainable. '

Have you printed off your diary to show it to your doctor? It's one thing to eat a 1200 net calorie diet. It's another thing to eat 800 calories and burn 400.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    It is possible to do that with calorie restriction to loose quickly. Especially starting at a heavier weight -- you are more inclined to loose faster than an average size person. Be careful that you are not eating too little... Feed your body.
  • lucycaz
    Options
    If you look further back on my diet plan you will see that most days I hit close to 1200 other than the days I work out with my personal trainer – when we have a tough session I just can not eat afterwards and if I try to eat more during the day I just get lethargic. In terms of fruit and veg I do eat a lot mostly in the recipes I have created with at least 2 vegi meals a week.

My doctor is fully aware of what I am doing and I check in with him every month... losing the weight is important to me however not as key as getting fit hence the PT and gym work I am getting stronger and with more energy daily....

I work as a nurse manager in a high pressure psychiatric environment so would never risk compromising either my health or that of the patients whose lives I am responsible or my staff team by being hungry, tired, weak etc...

The post was not to encourage others to follow the plan that seems to be suiting my body but to see if anyone could explain or had similar stories.

Even with my calorie def it does not = 6lbs of fat which would be 21,000 calories and I was hoping someone may have a explanation for this.
  • veggiepug
    veggiepug Posts: 82
    Options
    Even with my calorie def it does not = 6lbs of fat which would be 21,000 calories and I was hoping someone may have a explanation for this.

A likely reason for this is because you are probably losing lean muscle due to eating so few calories on some days. That's one of the many reasons eating so few calories is bad - because you end up losing lean muscle, which in turn will cause your body to burn fewer calories when at rest.

I agree with the posters who said it might not be a very sustainable way to eating long term. I would definitely print out your diary and show it to your doctor.

Best of luck.
  • fallingrock
    Options
    my best 1 week total was 8 pounds
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Swimming burns a lot of calories, and if done right, can actually build some muscle, so I wouldn't say she's losing muscle already. Could be a lot of fat & water loss, too. Have you taken any measurements? Do you clothes fit or feel any different this week?
  • WatchMeMeltAway
    Options
    Yes it is possible that your scale has dropped a bunch. We lose water weight along with fat. So, just make sure you are not losing any muscle mass by walking, doing some leg lifts, squats, some weights and you will be fine. (I am no expert... just read tons of books) :)
  • lucycaz
    Options
    WatchMeMeltAway - thanks - I am doing alot of weight/resistance training as well as cardio with my PT we do squat and lung matrix in all planes of movement as well as killer sessions on the TRX, I am getting stronger, years ago I got caught up in the Atkins fad for a few months with an ex that wanted to do it so I know what it would feel like to be in kitosis and loosing muscle....

I am not expecting this to be consistant in fact next week I feel the scales may show no loss..

Laurayinz - I have not taken measurements but have droped 2 dress sizes and can physically see my body shape changing.

Lucy