Recommendations for workout-friendly flooring?

Options
I am looking for recommendations for durable floor covering to put over carpet. I workout at home and do a lot of HIIT workouts and in addition to making some things more difficult, I also think it's increasing my risk of injury. I've looked at some different options from foam or rubber tiles to larger area mats but I don't want to spend the money if they aren't going to work or just fall apart. An exercise or yoga mat is just not large enough to suit my needs. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Rubber gym mats. The interlocking squares you see under powerracks, squat racks and deadlift stations.... Basically, where 400lbs of weights being dropped would be normal. Because they are interlocking squares, you can custom size them to fit your needs Here's a link to the first one that popped up in a seach.
    http://www.americanfloormats.com/fit-lock-rubber-tiles/?gclid=CjwKCAjw2s_MBRA5EiwAmWIac2wZ_Dn4rHMMDpi3NH7LTQ-MsyntZuziuPYFmklGtO1zgOTmkV-7DhoCk1gQAvD_BwE
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What kind of it carpet is it? Can you pull it up? The carpet will affect the mat because it will give, especially if it's a softer cut pile.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    They will be super spendy but wrestling or gymnastics mats. Might be cheaper to replace the floor.
  • Bordergirl14
    Bordergirl14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will look that up.

It is kind of a plush carpet so I was wondering if the rubber mats would slide a bit. My yoga mat is rubber and it does slide some, not terribly so but enough to noticeby the end of my practice. There is some give in the carpet so I would expect the mat to give also. I am thinking even if it does give, would the rubber mat still be better than carpet? I do intend to replace the carpet with hardwood, but it's going to be about a year yet before I can. I was hoping a mat would do the trick in the short-term.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thanks! I will look that up.

It is kind of a plush carpet so I was wondering if the rubber mats would slide a bit. My yoga mat is rubber and it does slide some, not terribly so but enough to noticeby the end of my practice. There is some give in the carpet so I would expect the mat to give also. I am thinking even if it does give, would the rubber mat still be better than carpet? I do intend to replace the carpet with hardwood, but it's going to be about a year yet before I can. I was hoping a mat would do the trick in the short-term.

If you plan on sweating, the rubber mat would definitely be more hygenic. Also, rubber tends to slide less than carpet when your wearing socks or shoes, kinda important for push-ups and planks where you don't want your feet to slide. The rubber mats (the gym quality ones) don't slide much on carpeting, less than yoga mats.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For around $40 you can purchase 1/2" to 3/4" rubber horse stall mats that 4x6 feet. That's what I have in my home gym. They are very durable and heavy and won't slide.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rubber-mat-black-4-ft-x-6-ft

Sometimes you can find them half price on Craigslist
  • Bordergirl14
    Bordergirl14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will check out those options!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For around $40 you can purchase 1/2" to 3/4" rubber horse stall mats that 4x6 feet. That's what I have in my home gym. They are very durable and heavy and won't slide.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rubber-mat-black-4-ft-x-6-ft

Sometimes you can find them half price on Craigslist

Yes - I was going to suggest this ^