Help me with my deadlift

Options
Last time you guys helped me graduate to the big girl squat rack, so hopefully I can get some advice to start proper deadlifts too.

I've only been lifting for a little over a month, and I started out doing stiff legged deadlifts with the fixed bar. I don't think I could have lifted the full olympic bar plus weights. Either way, I'm now up to the 100lbs fixed bar and I think it's time to move up.

The issue is that I have never ever seen anyone at my gym doing a deadlift. There's no dedicated deadlift area, but I did spot two 10lbs plates that are the size of the bigger plates which I assume is to give the proper height without huge weights? The other issue is that there is no extra bar. There's an olympic bar in the squat rack and one on the bench press. The only bar lying around is one of those curly ones.

So.... where do I start? What's the etiquette of taking the bench press bar for deadlifts? Can I do that when nobody is using it? And if so, do I put the bar on the floor and then load it? I was going to start with just the bar and those two big 10lbs plates and see how that works. Do you think I can do a full deadlift with 60lbs if I've only done stiff legged deadlifts? Where do I go if there's no dedicated area? Anywhere with a bit of floor space? Do I need to watch out for anything? I've seen that some gyms have these extra paddings or something but my gym doesn't. Any other advice?

Replies

• me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Actually it's a Romanian deadlift I do, I bend my knees.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    I think you can. There are a few really good tutorials for deadlifts online to make sure your form is good. Also, while this might sound odd, find the most muscular guy in the gym (the one that's been lifting for well over a decade, not the younger guys who are always there but never seem to work out), when he finishes a routine go up to him and ask for help on a deadlift as you've never done one before. You will be surprised as to how nice and helpful he really is (99.9999% they are - I've never known an exception).
    Yes, the larger diameter 10lb plates are for deadlifts, to give the bar the correct height. When I do deadlifts, there is no dedicated area so I just find an empty space where I won't be in people's way.

^^^ That's a cracking idea and it'll work. Also check this out it'll help:

https://youtu.be/WP8lEbeY4LM
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    I think you can. There are a few really good tutorials for deadlifts online to make sure your form is good. Also, while this might sound odd, find the most muscular guy in the gym (the one that's been lifting for well over a decade, not the younger guys who are always there but never seem to work out), when he finishes a routine go up to him and ask for help on a deadlift as you've never done one before. You will be surprised as to how nice and helpful he really is (99.9999% they are - I've never known an exception).
    Yes, the larger diameter 10lb plates are for deadlifts, to give the bar the correct height. When I do deadlifts, there is no dedicated area so I just find an empty space where I won't be in people's way.

Honestly I agree with all of this other than the bit about asking the biggest dude in the gym. I really think it's a crapshoot as far as who is going to be able to help and who isn't and I don't think someone's size is an indicator.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You don't see a lot of guys doing them because they SUCK! It is one of the best strength exercises but if done with bad form can cause major back and other injuries. Just focus on form form form and not weight.
  • me0231
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to give it a shot next time.
  • sewbank2934
    sewbank2934 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well done, it does make a noise when you plunk it down but cooooool. Just keep you back straight and maybe get a belt to support your back as well.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »
    Yay, deadlift accomplished last night. :)
    The loading/unloading of the bar is a bit of a pain when it sits on the floor but other than that I worked just fine. With the two 10 lb plates, it was pretty easy but I did the full set just to make sure I got my form right.

You could try loading the bar on the squat rack (I put the bar on the safetys) and then moving it down to the floor. I love deadlifts, my favourite lift by far and I will take a bar from wherever it's not being used.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The issue is that I have never ever seen anyone at my gym doing a deadlift. There's no dedicated deadlift area, but I did spot two 10lbs plates that are the size of the bigger plates which I assume is to give the proper height without huge weights? The other issue is that there is no extra bar. There's an olympic bar in the squat rack and one on the bench press. The only bar lying around is one of those curly ones.

So.... where do I start? What's the etiquette of taking the bench press bar for deadlifts? Can I do that when nobody is using it? And if so, do I put the bar on the floor and then load it? I was going to start with just the bar and those two big 10lbs plates and see how that works. Do you think I can do a full deadlift with 60lbs if I've only done stiff legged deadlifts? Where do I go if there's no dedicated area? Anywhere with a bit of floor space? Do I need to watch out for anything? I've seen that some gyms have these extra paddings or something but my gym doesn't. Any other advice?

The full diameter 10lb plates are probably bumper plates that the gym would have purposely spent the extra money on. I usually load it on the squat rack safety bars and then lower it down to the floor.
  • me0231
    Options
    Oh ok cool, thanks guys. I'll load it on the lower safeties next time. I think I read somewhere that if you can easily lift the loaded bar off safeties it's too light, but maybe I misremember that. I'll try it next time.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Oh ok cool, thanks guys. I'll load it on the lower safeties next time. I think I read somewhere that if you can easily lift the loaded bar off safeties it's too light, but maybe I misremember that. I'll try it next time.

Just load the largest diameter weight plates on the safeties, move it to the floor and add the other plates. It's also a cool weight to work yourself up to heavier weights. For example, I load the bar with a 45 plate on each side then move it off the safeties. I use that for my warmup set, then I add a 25 to each side and do a set. I keep adding 25s until I get to the heaviest set.
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yay, deadlift accomplished last night. :)
    The loading/unloading of the bar is a bit of a pain when it sits on the floor but other than that I worked just fine. With the two 10 lb plates, it was pretty easy but I did the full set just to make sure I got my form right.

You could just view the loading and unloading of the bar as bonus exercise.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Don't worry about too light. Just do your weight, then add a pre-set, small increment. The idea is not to move up as fast as possible, it's to move up at a nice rate that your muscle can keep up with. Even if you only added 5 lbs every 2 weeks, you'll still bring your DL up 130 lbs in one year, so take it slow. New lifters don't need to lift at their maximums.