Annoyingly high calorie counts

Options
2»

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Pita bread back in the late 1970s/early 1980s was touted as being healthier when it was a bit of a novelty in the American bread aisle. Probrably because it was a thin bread rather than a big sub/hoagie/grinder roll for sandwiches.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    On tortillas, wraps, and flatbreads:

One thing I discovered is that these breads can all look similiar, but vary enormously in nutrition and calories. There are some wraps that are surprisingly high fiber, high protein and/or low calorie. And then there are wraps that are pretty much equivalent to regular sliced bread.

And oddly enough, it is not always the expensive brand.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Oil - even just a teaspoon to sautee veggies;

Avocado - uber healthy hipster food but high in cals;

Jacobs Cream Crackers ... now switched to Nairns oatcakes
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Obviously desserts etc.

But wraps. I mean, the 'healthy' option in restaurants is often a wrap... but the wrap itself can be 250 calories! Obviously I'm not talking about those high protein/fiber wraps that you find in stores though but I highly doubt that it's the kind that restaurants use.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    The official Weight Watchers High Protein wraps are good.
  • robm1brown
    robm1brown Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get through a large loaf before it moulds I used the small loaves before the diet because I live on my own. I like wraps but tend to put cooked food in them like spiced chicken or chilli con carne so it isn't as salady as the perceived pitta is. I think it was memories of mother putting salad vegetables in pittas for my lunch at school (I was trying to lose weight even then) that gives it that impression for me.

I am actually finding the calories easy at the moment (have 1300 calories still to use today that I need to find from somewhere) but all my favourite foods seem to be salty: olives, smoked salmon, prepared meats...
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wraps.
    They're so THIN...but calorie-wise, you might as well just have a sandwich with white sliced. :)
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry. Posted this ^^^ before realising peeps had already mentioned them :#
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer wraps to bread even though the calorie count can easily be the same or higher. I just put more STUFF in a wrap than I do a sandwich. So something in a wrap becomes a huge full meal for me because there is usually warm steak, mushrooms, spinach inside, etc.
    But a sandwich would be a small square with some cheese and maybe some sandwich meat. I just don't put in the same effort so to me it's not worth the calories, I would still be hungry after.

I can't actually think of anything at the moment with an annoyingly high calorie count other than bread really. And that's mostly the perception of worth to me.