Homemade Nut Milk - how to enter

Options
cfredz
cfredz Posts: 292 Member
hi! i make my own nut milks (almond, cashew, hazelnut)
I am not sure how to go about entering this recipe.
If i use 2 cups of nuts and then strain the liquid out with water, there is a lot of "nut pulp" leftover
Anyone have experience with entering this kind of recipe?
When i enter it it says its 115 calories a serving which is not accurate

Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I strain my nut milk, I deduct the weight of the pulp from the original weight of the nuts I blended. This probably isn't 100% accurate (there will be some weight from the liquid in the nut pulp), but it's close enough for me.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Solution: Eat that healthy pulp mixed in something else later on.
  • cfredz
    Options
    Solution: Eat that healthy pulp mixed in something else later on.

Just FYI, I do do that, but i make a separate recipe with chia seeds and cacao so your snarky response is not relevant.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    When I strain my nut milk, I deduct the weight of the pulp from the original weight of the nuts I blended. This probably isn't 100% accurate (there will be some weight from the liquid in the nut pulp), but it's close enough for me.

I do it differently but it probably produces similar results, I'm just too lazy to dirty a dish to weigh the pulp. I weigh my water in the blender, then weigh the resulting milk when I transfer it to the jar for storing. Any weight over my neatly weighed 1000 gram water is the weight of the nuts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I do it differently but it probably produces similar results, I'm just too lazy to dirty a dish to weigh the pulp. I weigh my water in the blender, then weigh the resulting milk when I transfer it to the jar for storing. Any weight over my neatly weighed 1000 gram water is the weight of the nuts.

This is a much neater way to do it. I think I'm going to switch to your method.
  • cfredz
    Options
    Am I the only immature person here?

Nope
    I joke about "nut bags" all the time.
  • cfredz
    Options

do you have an example of your recipe in MFP you can share?
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Nope, I laughed a little too hard at "homemade nut milk" myself.
  • _BrewingAZ_
    _BrewingAZ_ Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Nope. I'm right there with you!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    cfredz wrote: »

do you have an example of your recipe in MFP you can share?

My recipe is simple: 100-150 grams of cashew nuts depending on how creamy I want it, 1 liter of water (1000 grams), a pinch of salt, 1 gram of xanthan gum (optional). Blend the heck out of it and strain. If you don't have a high powered blender you could soak them for a couple of hours and discard the soaking water, but cashews are usually soft enough to work without soaking.

ETA: never mind, misread the question. No I don't have it on MFP. I usually just logged the milk as "cashews", and the calories are higher than cow's milk. I made this during Lent.