Quitting the gym

Options
And honestly, I think it's the best thing I can do. Im also looking to make some savings just now, this is basically what sparked my sudden desicion.

I have enjoyed the gym, it was great to have somewhere else to go to hang out etc. It's got plenty of equipment that I don't have at home ( I couldn't even afford to buy most of the stuff for a home gym ) but, I have came to realise I'm not actually using much of it. I mainly was using the treadmill and stair climber. And in all honesty Iv not got the results I thought I'd get. Plus going to the gym can be a hassle. Just started working full time so I aint walking to the gym afterwards and then walking all the way home after a long day in the office. Just ain't gona happen.

I have a big park across the road, a bike in the cupboard, an exercise mat, dumbbells and the ability to watch exercise DVD on my tv. Do I really need the gym? Iv decided I don't.

And in the past I did get amazing results by just working out at home. Think I figured joining a gym was the perfect answer to my exercise but I'm now looking for some ideas of how to workout outside the gym.

What do you do? Be good to hear some ideas :)

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I have never been a gym person, ever., I do it all outside, even if it is minus 35!, I bike, walk, run. kangoo jumps, roller blade. stand up paddle boarding, paddle boating, kayaking, canoeing. skating. skiing. snowshoeing., and so much more!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I spent years going to different gyms. Then I slowly started to buy my own equipment. It took awhile, but now I have: a Universal Weight System, a Recumbent Bike, a Treadmill, an Elliptical, and free weights. I use my gym every day. I consider it one of my best investments ever.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've never been inside a gym that wasn't in a hotel I was staying in. We live on a farm so a lot of my exercise is from work around the property. We also hike/backpack, kayak, shoot hoops, pass football, ride bikes, showshoe. And I have a step, dumbbells and a Total Gym for when the weather isn't conducive to outdoor activities.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The only reason I go to the gym is for the weight room and to lift. I wouldn't waste my money just to use a treadmill or stair climber, and I really wouldn't have any expectations of meaningful results just doing that either, at least where body composition is concerned...

I lift in the gym and mostly road cycle for cardio and do some rock climbing and hiking.
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it was more of a social experience based on your first sentence about it being a place to "hang out". I assumed you meant quitting working out, but I've always used a home gym since it's cheaper, don't have to wait for equipment, less stressful, don't have to worry about sweaty benches and so on.

I might be in the minority, but you don't need a stairclimber or treadmill to lose fat. That's just diet. That could explain not getting results. Or you could walk/jog/run outside instead of using a machine, unless it's extremely cold.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I was driving to the gym and thought "why not run?" I did something to my knee so I quit stopping by and now just run past it. I keep playing just in case I need the bathroom during the run.
  • Trignon
    Trignon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like hanging out with the gang guys in the weight room, otherwise I would stay home and work out with Khloe Kardashian in our home gym
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've always been of the mind that you could flail your limbs around and scream for 30 minutes and probably get as good a calorie burn (not necessarily muscle growth, just calorie burn) as on any treadmill.

I quit the gym, too, because I had a child and we couldn't find enough time for one of us to watch him while the other went to the gym. I spent around $300 buying gym equipment off of craigslist and actually have a semi-decent gym set up. Might be worth looking into.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I trail run, hike and mountain bike in addition to the gym. I basically use the gym to do weights and for those few times when the weather won't permit me to be outside. If I quit the gym, my workouts would suffer. (I did that once for about 6 months and lost much of my fitness, so I ended up going back.) I can't get myself to do any kind of workout at home. I'll always have something else to distract me there. Plenty of excuses...I have to leave my house if I want to exercise, so having the gym and the trails to go to motivates me. The gym is especially important, because if I'm paying for something, I'm going to use it. B)
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've just joined a gym. I walk outside every day here, but soon the weather won't really permit too much of that. Plus, it kills my feet and with my current weight loss, I need to add other routines to it. I've dumped some fat and need to trim some of the flab. Toning and integrating other exercises are what I am looking at for now.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership because I wanted to use the tanning to prep my skin for my vacation next week and because my schedule can be pretty hectic so once a week when I'm working a super long (14 - 16 hour) day I step out and grab a workout at the gym. Otherwise, I have a yearly subscription to Beachbody on demand and make VERY good use of it. I prefer my home workouts, you are really able to get a total body workout.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Get a suspension trainer (they're pretty cheap) and a bike. Those are my main 2 "home workout" assistants. And I like both when I can't get to the gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    The gym is not for everyone- frankly if I had access to a swimming pool somewhere else I would not belong to one.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do the 10-12 hour work days, the walk to the gym, the 2 hour workout, 5 days per week. I ain't missing a session either.

Do you!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! people need to do what is best for them. For me is the "me time" at the gym.

I can't do at home what I do at the gym; and DVDs or YouTube don't attract me or inspiring me much to do in a consistent manner. I like the availability of equipment that I find at the gym and the social part (I am retired). Not that I talk much with anybody, but seeing people exercising is inspiring.

My house is not set up for fitness equipment and I prefer a potted plant in my living room rather than dumbbells or the ARC Fitness (no basement in So. CA and the garage is for the cars).

You can do body wt. exercises, follow a DVD, or set up your own equipment and program, if you have the place. It all depends on your goals and willingness. And by the way, I always went to the gym even when I was working full time. Is just a matter of priorities. And that is just fine.