Question about running shoes...

Options
emmaleigh47
emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
I ran in size 10.5 shoes until May of this year ... when they finally managed to convince me to go up to size 11 shoe (Sauconys).
I never actually had problems in the smaller shoes (my foot measured just slightly over a 10 in May) -- never had problems with blisters on the tips of my toes... no lost toenails... I had a blister problem (but this seems to be fixed by switching to different insoles because I had them with the new shoes too ... but then they went away after a couple of weeks when I switched insoles).

Anyways... now in the size 11 shoes I am battling horrible blisters on the tips of both of my 2nd toes. I am in the same socks -- and now I have started using "toe bandaids" but it doesnt help.

So the question ... should I go back to the 10.5s even though "they" say they are too tight?
Is it possible my feet lost weight? (I have lost another 11 pounds since my last shoes?)

Anyone?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, wear what size feels good on your foot vs trying to listen to what you SHOULD wear. When I was measured, they told me I am an 8.5 wide. No. I am not. I NEED a 9 (wide in some shoes, but regular in other shoes works too). I go by the FIT of it and NOT the size of it.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    My feet always get smaller as I lose weight. You may have to go back down.
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I have lost about 40 pounds, too, and I know my feet are smaller. Have you tried thicker socks?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am down 30 pounds (27 w/ MFP) and my feet have definitely lost weight! I have some shoes that I absolutely can't even wear anymore they literally fly off and others that wiggle around a lot. How long have you been using the new ones? We can all end up with blisters from new shoes for a while...so is it just that they are still new or do they feel too big?
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Obviously you've been running longer than me, but I have read that doing a lot of downhills can cause blisters. I only ever read about the uphills, but surely that means you're doing downhills too? I dont have any advice, but just keep that in mind. :flowerforyou:
  • hoover17700
    hoover17700 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    With the larger size shoes and that you have lost weight, your feet are now sliding in your shoes causing your toes to hit the ends and because sore and bruised. I would switch back to the size shoes you didn't have a problem with. Good luck :0)
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with nearlly all trainers.
    The only shoes that dont give me blisters are high heels and boots.
    when i was at college my steel toe-caps shredded my feet.
    Id just recommend buying a different pair fo shoes.
    Some shoes just do give u blisters, doesnt matter how comfy they are.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would switch shoes types if the old ones were working for you. Just buy the same shoe when you need a replacement.

If the 11s feel good otherwise, you can use body glide on those toes. Also, are you wearing cotton socks or moisture wicking socks? If you are wearing cotton, you need to switch.
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I say go back to what worked for you. During my last marathon season, I found a pair of New Balance that I adored. What did I do? I went right back to the store and bought TWO more pair. I went through all three pair in 6 months of training. It was the best idea I'd had in a long time.

If you find a running shoe that you like, buy SEVERAL pair. Now, I run in my Vibram Bikilas. I just got a second pair for later in the season when my current pair wear down. Go back to the type/style of shoe that you enjoyed before. Nothing makes running less fun, than when your feet are hurting.

Just my .02 :bigsmile:
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am really not experienced but obviously you need to switch back to the better ones, no matter what "they" say!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Ultimately you're the only person to decide, "THEY" shouldn't convince you of anything. They can advise you, but you should run on the shoes that are the most comfortable for you.
    Having said that, this may be a adaptation phase, you can try to keep running on the 11's for a little longer and see how it goes after this, if you keep having problems switch to the ones that you're happy with.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Ultimately you're the only person to decide, "THEY" shouldn't convince you of anything. They can advise you, but you should run on the shoes that are the most comfortable for you.
    Having said that, this may be a adaptation phase, you can try to keep running on the 11's for a little longer and see how it goes after this, if you keep having problems switch to the ones that you're happy with.

Would an adaptive phase last from May - Now? I actually am on my 2nd pair of the 11s now because the first pair wore out really fast (around 200 miles) and unhappily I notice that these ones are wearing out fast too. I have to wonder if its because they are shifting too much on my feet?
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    I am really not experienced but obviously you need to switch back to the better ones, no matter what "they" say!

Thats what I am thinking ... I think I would rather lose a toenail then deal with these blisters on my toes...
    And I slather both feet with body Glide ... doesnt help much..