Working out but gaining weight

Options
So I'll start off with my Stats. 5 ft 9 inch, 31 yr ol female, and 146lbs. I'm working out 5-6 days a week doing 30-60 min on an elliptical at no less than a level 12 resistance. And do 30-50 min on either TRX or Yoga Trapeze alternating muscle groups depending on the day. I eat 1400 of measured, accounted for calories a day. No gluten, and 30% or less carbs (no gluten).

I'm not losing weight at all. It feels like I'm just stacking it on. I started at 138 when I started working out a little over a month ago. This time last yr I was more around 133, but did light cardio and 1200 calories. What the heck am I missing? I'm getting so frustrated. Help please. Should I cut down to 1200 cals again? I'm just afraid with how much I work out it won't be healthy. Or should I cut down on working out?

Replies

• DSelf27
    DSelf27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried increasing your water, protein and fiber intake? The weight gain could be a result of fluid retention or you could be gaining new muscle mass from your workouts.
  • Mega27tron
    Mega27tron Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your doing good it could be just water or your muscles are bigger. Stop chasing numbers do you like how you look and feel? Chase that good feeling if you hit the target but not the desired look then what? Your doing great keep grindn
  • TartsAndTattoos
    TartsAndTattoos Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do not cut your calories, I'd even suggest adding more. I believe your body isn't being fed enough for the amount of energy you're expending. And at 5'9" and 146, I'd say you're on the lean side to start with. Without photos or body comp numbers it would be hard to give more specific advice.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so that we can take a look and make suggestions.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Wow lol advice here ranged from you've suddenly gained muscle mass in a month eating at a deficit to eat more calories!

You don't really have a lot of weight to lose. Maybe curb your expectations. Eating 1400 calories a day without exercise would have you losing about 2lbs in a month so your loss is slow but smart. You started a new workout routine so naturally you'll have some water retention and you're a female so every 28 days or so, your water will fluctuate also.

If you're measuring accurately (you say you measure food but are you weighing your food in grams not measuring cups/spoons?), you should stay with what you're doing and understand that your new exercises may be causing some fluid retention. Very typical.

Number 1 reason for not losing weight is incorrect logging of food.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Measured or weighed? There is a difference, and it could be the reason why you aren't seeing results.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    So I'll start off with my Stats. 5 ft 9 inch, 31 yr ol female, and 146lbs. I'm working out 5-6 days a week doing 30-60 min on an elliptical at no less than a level 12 resistance. And do 30-50 min on either TRX or Yoga Trapeze alternating muscle groups depending on the day. I eat 1400 of measured, accounted for calories a day. No gluten, and 30% or less carbs (no gluten).

I'm not losing weight at all. It feels like I'm just stacking it on. I started at 138 when I started working out a little over a month ago. This time last yr I was more around 133, but did light cardio and 1200 calories. What the heck am I missing? I'm getting so frustrated. Help please. Should I cut down to 1200 cals again? I'm just afraid with how much I work out it won't be healthy. Or should I cut down on working out?

first of all with your height if you dont have a lot to lose 1200 is way too low. if you arent losing then you arent in a deficit or you are retaining water. measuring using measuring cups can be way off. if you arent using a food scale then I would start doing that,if you dont have one buy one if possible. its really easy to eat more than you think when you dont weigh food.not eating gluten or less carbs isnt going to result in weight loss either unless it puts you into a deficit.The less you have to lose the slower its going to be and at your height I would not want to try losing much more weight as you are at a decent weight now.(may even be considered underweight but not sure about that)