Workout Shake Up

Options
Hello All,

First post since joining OMG see all the encouragement from everyone and great advise. Workout 6 days a week for 30 to 45 min and do some strength training and kinda of slowing down on the weight loss, since my vacation 3 weeks ago. Everyone is telling me I am in a workout rut and need to shock my body switch up my routine, sounds crazy and not to sure what it means, I went from doing no activity to some everyday, anyone got any advise

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Well. . . I can understand that recommendation as your body becomes accustomed to the exercise that you are doing. . if you are doing it all the time. . .

May I ask what kinds of things are included in your routine and perhaps I can help. . . .:smile:
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    try doing some circuit training that combines cardio and weights... strength training is great for you bc muscles burn calories even when you're sitting still.. if you dont have a trainer then you can look up different circuits... i have done them at home (when i couldn't afford a gym or didn't have one at work) and would jog for 3 mins..full out sprint for 1 min then move to a weight circuit (ex for at home upper body day : 20 push ups, 20 seated tricep dips, plank, etc..) then go back and jog for 3 min...sprint 1 min.. weight circuit...i would do that 5 times ... its different when you have access to weights and machines bc theres a lot more you can do but circuits are a great way to "shock" your system
  • WatchMeMeltAway
    Options
    My weight loss slowed a bit, and I had a weekend where I ate whatever I wanted, in any desired quantity... when it was all said and done I had lost 4lbs! I am not kidding! I think it has more to do with switching things up as opposed to sticking to the same weight loss strategy over a period of time. Our bodies are smart and adjusts accordingly.
  • JoSa37
    JoSa37 Posts: 16
    Options
    Do something different. Like you, your body becomes bored if you continue to do the same routine day after day. Trying switching the order which you do your exercises or try new exercises.If you are doing cardio try a different form. Change the route and/or routine you perform for your cardio.
  • jhamby5579
    jhamby5579 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do the treadmill, cybex , eliptical and zumba 1 x a week
  • jhamby5579
    Options
    Thanks sounds like a plan!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    When you approach 10% loss of your original weight you typically will slow down your loss. Your body will fight to maintain and go back to your original weight. Once you get to the 10% loss you may hit a plateau. I know people here have been able to get out of them after a week or so but some times you get stuck. One strategy involves easing off slowly and maintaining your new weight for 2 months. You need to slowly up your calories to an easier level to do this but make sure you maintain. Then you need to lower slowly your exercise to an easier level to maintain. Then after maintaining for 2 months you body sees the new weight as your regular weight and sees that it has adequate calories to maintain it. It will help you maintain that weight and not fight you when you then can lower your calories back down to where you have lost before and then slowly up your exercise. Then you should see a faster loss for a while as you again reach the 10% loss you will again see your loss slow and eventually plateau. Once you reach your goal weight remember to apply this idea of maintaining the weight for 2 months so that your baody doesn't fight to take you back to the last weight it sees as your regulare weight. I have found that I lose inches and slim down in maintenance/plateau periods.
  • jhamby5579
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info much appreciated!