Ketosis and cheat days/meals

Options
Basically, ketosis is the aim of the game. Been doing fairly well on the lifestyle change, dropped out loads of unhealthy foods and drinks from my diet and the process and think (still iffy) seeing a little improvement. Using scales not a massive help as am gaining muscle also from training. But anyway, sometimes you slip up. Crap. Annoying. And I assume this pulls you out of ketosis pretty fast. But if you're struggling with craving carbs and slip up snack, is it much more damaging to just write the day off than try get back on the wagon asap? Feeling very weak on the self restraint front as pretty depressed lately.

Replies

• cbird2k
    cbird2k Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Isn't it all about the glucogen stores in your liver & muscles (and the overflow goes to fat cells)? So if you decide to write off the day and pig out on more carbs, it means MORE glucogen going to those stores, which will take you longer to burn through all that before ketosis happens again. So if possible, accept your "slip-up" and move on. But don't be depressed - sometimes our body needs a few extra carbs (carbing up) for whatever reason. Just do a bit more exercise on those days if you feel up to it, or maybe your body needs a day of rest, and be glad for all the healthy choices you've made. We're humans, not robots!
  • Sinead1819
    Sinead1819 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I guess its hard because I'm usually fairly militant about it, until I feel a bit low which makes me crave junk food as a quick endorphin reward!
  • cbird2k
    cbird2k Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yeah, I get it.. if there's a way to change your "reward" to something that helps, like taking that negative energy and directing it towards weight lifting or cardio, sometimes that can be empowering. (and physiologically help with depression.) And one slip-up isn't the end of the world. It's kind of like addicts who have to take it one day at a time. For keto-ers, it's one meal at a time! I figure, there will ALWAYS be cookies or cake or whatever that I can have whenever I want it, so is it more important to me at this moment to try and get into ketosis or to postpone that and have a treat? Either choice is fine, just don't give up on the end goal you have for yourself.
  • Sinead1819
    Options
    Frustrating bit is my PT cancelled our session yesterday as was ill and I was really looking forward to it, because I centre my week around the two sessions I have weight training, then my friend couldnt do tonight so this week its only one which is tomorrow :( I spend all week looking forward to my session but cant afford additional gym visits on top so possibly just not a good week for it! Tried to pacify the food cravings (really hungry lately) with soya yoghurt and desicated coconut but I'm still so hungry! Frustrating!
  • Liz6843
    Liz6843 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't use it as a crutch, but exogenous ketones work pretty well for the occasional slip-up, or even just to get deeper in ketosis on a regular basis. I use Perfect Keto. It tastes horrible unless you mix it with a good amount of milk or something - if it still tastes salty, add more milk until it doesn't anymore (soy milk is low in carbs).
  • DinahB92
    DinahB92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been going through ketosis for about a month now and ended up cheating when I went on vacation. For a whole week! I honestly didn't gain as much as I thought I would, but meal prep is so important. I'm having a hard time getting back into the swing of things.. any suggestions for keto meal prep? There's a lot that are high in fat, and I'm looking for low carb - low fat meals. Sticking to just meat and veggies is really hard :( especially for breakfast.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for low carb AND low fat Keto is not for you. What makes that way of eating helpful for some is the higher fat content which helps with satiety and energy. It is your fuel instead of carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sinead1819 wrote: »
    Basically, ketosis is the aim of the game. Been doing fairly well on the lifestyle change, dropped out loads of unhealthy foods and drinks from my diet and the process and think (still iffy) seeing a little improvement. Using scales not a massive help as am gaining muscle also from training. But anyway, sometimes you slip up. Crap. Annoying. And I assume this pulls you out of ketosis pretty fast. But if you're struggling with craving carbs and slip up snack, is it much more damaging to just write the day off than try get back on the wagon asap? Feeling very weak on the self restraint front as pretty depressed lately.

To point out, if you aren't seeing much movement on the scales, it's not because you are gaining muscle, especially with only two days of training and doing keto, it's because you too many calories. Keto and muscle gains are very difficult. Generally, people will have to follow timed (TKD) or cycled (CKD) diets to incorporate timed nutrients or refeeds into their diets.

What you can do, if you are having craving issues is look at things like keto mousse, keto ice cream or incorporate some low gi fruits (like berries).

Also, how many carbs did you eat? Because most people stay in ketosis around 50g.. and more for sum. Heck, I know cyclist that stat in ketosis at 250g.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    DinahB92 wrote: »
    I've been going through ketosis for about a month now and ended up cheating when I went on vacation. For a whole week! I honestly didn't gain as much as I thought I would, but meal prep is so important. I'm having a hard time getting back into the swing of things.. any suggestions for keto meal prep? There's a lot that are high in fat, and I'm looking for low carb - low fat meals. Sticking to just meat and veggies is really hard :( especially for breakfast.

Don't do what you are currently doing. There are two major sources or energy, fats and carbs. Cutting both is a terrible recipe. If you want, you can limit one or the other, or just not cut any over them. Either way, you just need to control calories.. Macros support adherence, compliance and support goals.
  • Sinead1819
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

To point out, if you aren't seeing much movement on the scales, it's not because you are gaining muscle, especially with only two days of training and doing keto, it's because you too many calories. Keto and muscle gains are very difficult. Generally, people will have to follow timed (TKD) or cycled (CKD) diets to incorporate timed nutrients or refeeds into their diets.

What you can do, if you are having craving issues is look at things like keto mousse, keto ice cream or incorporate some low gi fruits (like berries).

I know I definitely have gained muscle since I started training, I can see it, but I wonder if I'm monitoring my weight too closely? Tend to weigh myself daily. I haven't been doing keto eating for very long, couple months? And had a few slip ups, so maybe I've not really entered ketosis properly? But I'm not massively sure what sort of calorie goal I should be aiming for. Mfp is asking for a goal weight but I've not got a goal weight, just lower body fat
  • barepixel
    barepixel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with psulemon 100%. I have been on Keto for 2 months now and it was tricky at first but I have stuck with it and now I'm in deep ketosis and the craving have stopped. I thought when I started that if i kept my carbs and fats low then I would burn more body fat faster. I was wrong the scale didn't move much for me. I started eating more fats while keeping my carbs between 5net and 10net a day and noticed the scale was moving quick. You need an X number of calories a day for basic body and brain functions so make sure you get your calories but dont go overboard and just stick with it. There are keto calculators out their if you haven't done so already. It will get easier as your body adjusts. Be patient and it will all pay off in the end.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I know I definitely have gained muscle since I started training, I can see it, but I wonder if I'm monitoring my weight too closely? Tend to weigh myself daily. I haven't been doing keto eating for very long, couple months? And had a few slip ups, so maybe I've not really entered ketosis properly? But I'm not massively sure what sort of calorie goal I should be aiming for. Mfp is asking for a goal weight but I've not got a goal weight, just lower body fat

It's fairly common for people to assume increases in strength (which come from adaptations in your central nervous system) and lowering body fat is a result of muscle gains. Fact is, it's very hard to gain muscle, especially if you are in a deficit. In the end, it doesn't matter too much about the semantics if you like the result.

Any ways, what are your current stats? What lifting program are you following? You can always do 10 or 20 lb intervals as goals until you hit you ideal body look. It's what I did in the past.
  • Sinead1819
    edited August 2017
    Options

It's fairly common for people to assume increases in strength (which come from adaptations in your central nervous system) and lowering body fat is a result of muscle gains. Fact is, it's very hard to gain muscle, especially if you are in a deficit. In the end, it doesn't matter too much about the semantics if you like the result.

Any ways, what are your current stats? What lifting program are you following? You can always do 10 or 20 lb intervals as goals until you hit you ideal body look. It's what I did in the past.

Recently, our PT keeps changing around our training to try different methods, but predominantly HIT, high weights low reps, but he's not been very stable with this which is frustrating so I'm currently not sure of my progress strength wise either! 170cm/ around 62.5kg (seems to fluctuate between 61.7-63.7) unsure on bodyfat percentage. Everythings a little unclear at the moment, possibly not helping motivation?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If keto is unsustainable because you have huge cravings for carbs then just don't so keto. It's clearly not of any benefit to you.

And I agree with Psulemon, you are not gaining muscle. Strength, endurance, post workout pump, lower body fat are all things people mistake for muscle gains. Gaining muscle is hard.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm on month 3 of Keto right now and the past few weeks have been my best so far. That being said, I've incorporated a cheat day into my week. Usually Sunday.
    Come Monday I've been a little bit heavier from cheating the day before but I've noticed that by Friday my body leans down (releases water?) and I will be down a pound from the previous week.

I was on a 4 week plateau before i started putting in my Cheat day.
  • Sinead1819
    Options
    Think it's more a psychological craving than a physical craving? My body doesn't feel like I need carbs but when I feel low I just wanna sod it all off and eat pizza. Might it be worth planning in maybe a cheat every so often so I can make it worth it and mentally satisfying rather then a fail every week or two and feeling crap about it for days.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Well, you can incorporate a carb refeed to see if it keeps you on track or you can make a keto pizza.

IRT your trainer... if they arent consistent and not helping, its time to part ways. Dedication should be from both of you.

If anything, id recommend that they teach your form and then you follow a structured program like starting strength or stronglift.

If your weight isnt dropping, you need to get calories under control. Keto isnt a magic pill to burn body fat with controlling calories. In the end, CICO or energy balance is the key.
  • Sinead1819
    Options
    Well, you can incorporate a carb refeed to see if it keeps you on track or you can make a keto pizza.

IRT your trainer... if they arent consistent and not helping, its time to part ways. Dedication should be from both of you.

If anything, id recommend that they teach your form and then you follow a structured program like starting strength or stronglift.

If your weight isnt dropping, you need to get calories under control. Keto isnt a magic pill to burn body fat with controlling calories. In the end, CICO or energy balance is the key.

What would be a good way of finding out what sort of calorie level I need to be eating at?
  • adej528
    adej528 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the whole Keto Diet thing, but I have had some great help. And just doing some searching I have found some great Keto/Low Carb recipes for the sweet things in life that I love. That has always been my downfall I love sweets and I love to bake. I suggest trying to curb those cravings for sweets by using a Keto/Low Carb dessert recipe. Here are a few that I use

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/category/Recipes

alldayidreamaboutfood.com/recipes-index

https://ruled.me/keto-recipes/
  • Sinead1819
    edited August 2017
    Options
    adej528 wrote: »
    I'm new to the whole Keto Diet thing, but I have had some great help. And just doing some searching I have found some great Keto/Low Carb recipes for the sweet things in life that I love. That has always been my downfall I love sweets and I love to bake. I suggest trying to curb those cravings for sweets by using a Keto/Low Carb dessert recipe. Here are a few that I use

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/category/Recipes

alldayidreamaboutfood.com/recipes-index

https://ruled.me/keto-recipes/

Thank you :smiley: