Weird job stories

Options
mjtaylor87
mjtaylor87 Posts: 242 Member
What is the weirdest thing you have done, happened to you, or have seen at a job?

Replies

• mjtaylor87
    Options
    I was a 3rd shift waitress for a 24 hour dinner. we had a lady come in that would order two cups of coffee. she would sit at the booth with her cup of coffee and set the other one across from her. then she would set a menu up across from her and would sit there for hours talking to it. holding full conversations that only she could hear the other side of. One night she got in to an argument with the menu, knocked it off the table, and stormed out. She never came back.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    I worked at McDonald's when I was 16, and some college kids came through the drive through driving in reverse, with a video recorder (they didn't have them on phones back then), ordering ice cream cones.. So, when they received their cones, they tried to flip them upside down and eat them backwards. That didn't work out well with them.. Extreme backwards day.
  • patrick_star_trek
    patrick_star_trek Posts: 1,386 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Once, I worked at a job where all I did was take naps on mattresses to test their quality.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I work in property management and the A/C drip pan had overflowed in one of our short term rental units and we could not get the repair man out that day. We had to drain some of the water out. My suggestion was a shop vac. My boss went and got a hose, put one end in the drip pan in the nasty attic and ran the hose down into the bathroom and asked me to suck on the end of the hose to draw the water out. Nope. Wasn't happening. I told her to do it. She did (nasty *kitten*) and I gave my 2 weeks notice.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Two, when I worked at Jack in the Box in high school. One was a kid who "surfed" on top of his mom's SUV when they came through the drive through. He didn't think it through, though, because they had to sit there and wait for us to get the food ready for them. He was so embarrassed that he jumped off the car and hid behind the opposite side from the window.

The next one was BRILLIANT. A guy in a gorilla suit drove through, blasting the Lion King "In the Jungle" song. Nearly gave me a heart attack!
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In high school and college I worked at a lumber yard. Often guys would dig in their pockets, pull out a handful of change then blow little curly hairs off before handing me a few coins. I told myself it was leg hair.

And I had a few guys get super pissy when I would tell them they pulled the wrong stuff. Like 10'ers instead of 8 or treated instead of pine. I would just smile sweetly and offer to have one of the guys from the commercial desk come out and take a look. Never had a guy take me up on that. Apparently the shame of a girl correcting them wasn't so bad after all, by comparison.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I once saw a lady washing her shoes in the bathroom. Not just wiping them down but full on washing them in the sink. She said she spilled her soup in her bag and everything in there had soup on it. Now why on earth would you put your shoes in the same bag as your lunch is beyond me, but ok.

Another time I heard a lady laughing hysterically at herself for wearing 2 different color shoes. Same exact shoe, but one red and one black. She must've gotten dressed in the dark??? idk how that happens to people. Do you not look in the mirror before you leave the house? smh
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I once had a job where the boss treated everyone nicely and didn't micromanage. The employees all got along in a friendly relaxed way and none of them gossiped or interfered with their co-workers. They actually worked as a team, before that cliche was even hatched. The place ran smoothly and if you really needed a day off, boss would give it to you without making you feel bad about it. No scandals or unpleasant situations took place.

About 5 years after I quit a national corporation took the place over. It was a small business and couldn't compete. Sad. I love remembering that place and feel blessed to know that such a workplace even existed and that I got to work there.

If such a place existed today, it would definitely be considered weird in comparison to current workplace cultural norms.

Such places and bosses DO exist, but, as a rule, they don't last. Good bosses get promoted or transferred, or whatever, and everything goes downhill from there
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    I worked for a drug store and had a very large, strong, barrel of a man pull me to the side of the make up wall and asked me to set him up with all them make up he would need to his skin tone and nail polish to go with a red sequin gown.

no judgment at all but was very very strange.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a funeral home and cemetery. Without getting into too much gross detail, we had a rather large person who was found a few days after he passed. The family did not want cremation, yet could not afford an oversized casket. He stayed in a body bag the entire time, but when it came time to transfer him from cooler to casket, we need 4 people to help. Then, the lid wouldn't close. The family had made it very clear they did not want an oversized casket, so I ended up having to sit on the lid while the funeral director worked to seal it. I swore that man was going to come back and haunt us all!

I work at a different job now, and just the other day, a man walked up to the building, dropped his pants and peed on our front door. Then he proceeded to walk in and say he needed to use our phone and wifi. Um.....no.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I watched a penis amputation...
    on a snake, they have forked penises
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    In college, I worked at a research facility where my job entailed taking donated decomposed human remains and boiling them so that the bones could be added to the skeletal collection.

• cougargirl1025
    cougargirl1025 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I once had a giraffe jump over my head.
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    dwrightlaw wrote: »
    In college, I worked at a research facility where my job entailed taking donated decomposed human remains and boiling them so that the bones could be added to the skeletal collection.

Wut? Macy's cosmetics counter wasn't hiring? IHOP dishwashing department maybe? That's pretty hardcore.

I was studying forensic science, so it was both relevant to my studies and very interesting...unlike IHOP/Macys
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I work at subway and one time someone stole the handles from the men's bathroom sink. Just that, nothing else even remotely valuable.

Another time a woman who must've been undiagnosed and unstable (she had no help with her) smeared feces all over our bathroom walls with her hands because she recieved 'bad service'. I hope she got help.