Job Help

Options
myfitnessjourneyto180
myfitnessjourneyto180 Posts: 93 Member
edited August 2017 in Chit-Chat
This thread is unrelated to exercise, but I was wondering if I could get someone's help on this. Usually, when I have a job interview and can't go, I reschedule it for the next day or at a later time. Today, I got an email that I'm getting an interview some time next week for a really sweet job with awesome pay (and it's better than my current part-time job). But, for the entirety of next week, I'm on a trip with friends; with everything already paid for and scheduled. Do you guys know a smart way I can word an email to explain that I am not available any time next week, without sounding too bold or up-front in the reply?

Thanks ahead of time :)

Replies

• Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This thread is unrelated to exercise, but I was wondering if I could get someone's help on this. Usually, when I have a job interview and can't go, I reschedule it for the next day or at a later time. Today, I got an email that I'm getting an interview some time next week for a really sweet job with awesome pay (and it's better than my current part-time job). But, for the entirety of next week, I'm on a trip with friends; with everything already paid for and scheduled. Do you guys know a smart way I can word an email to explain that I am not available any time next week, without sounding too bold or up-front in the reply?

Thanks ahead of time :)

Most threads around here aren't related to exercise either dont sweat it. Just write back and explain that you'll be out of town for a trip that it is too late to back out of. Apologize for the inconvenience and politely ask to reschedule. If they're a company worth working for they'll understand and work with you. If not, then you may be dodging a bullet.
  • MikeSUGA1
    MikeSUGA1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Be honest. Don't start out making up things in order to get by. Explain the situation, let them know how much you want the interview, and suggest a better time. Makes you look like a problem solver.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    What are your priorities? IMO, if a job that really important to you and you have a great opportunity to get it, then you forfeit the trip.
    Realize that in today's market, people that hire are looking to fill positions ASAP and that those who ARE AVAILABLE that meet qualifications are going to be picked first. That's the chance you risk by telling them that you AREN'T available.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I don't know.... I've had some great experiences with HR reps. Just tell them that unfortunately, you will be out of town, but are willing to Skype or call into the interview, or come in the week before or after.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Ask if you can come in the week before. Most places are understanding.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation when I applied for the job I have now. I was honest and proactive. I got the interview, and the job! Best wishes to you!
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options
    I'll try to be honest about it. Since I already spent like 300-400 on the trips I planned for the week, I wouldn't want to waste all that money by not going. Thanks everyone!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    MikeSUGA1 wrote: »
    Be honest.

Worst Advice Ever.

B)