Elbow twisting in pushup?

Options
I'm a weakling and my mini goal is to be able to do pushups. Can someone explain to me the correct form for your arms during pushups? My boyfriend noticed on me that the inside/crook of my elbow swivels inward like facing each other and out, the direction I'm facing. He said they should face more in? It's a struggle for me to keep them more inward but perhaps that's due to weak muscles and never having proper form. Hope this makes sense. Hope someone can shed some light on this

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    FWIW, I think that an "ideal" pushup would look like this.

Body in straight plank, feet/legs together on toes, head and arms in an arrow formation, arms/elbows close to (almost touching) your torso, full press w/your chest touching the floor at the bottom and full extension of your arms at the top.

Not to be sexist but for women w/larger breasts, only touching them to the floor would probably NOT be a full press; pressing until no further compression can be felt may be required to achieve a full press.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont know what you are describing, but there are so many variations on how your hands and arms can be for pushups, just do a google search to see all the variations . If you are struggling, you need to build strength. You can do them on your knees, or do them with your hands on the wall, or stairs, or the kitchen counter, or if you are at the gym the smith machine is great for adjusting the bar to a height you can do pushups on. (one of the few things that machine is good for)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    it's hard to picture what you describe, but 'flaring' - elbows moving away from the body too far - isn't considered the greatest thing because it's not optimal alignment for your shoulders and can put some of the rear shoulder muscles under more strain than is really good for them. otoh, everyone's anatomy has subtle differences, so i don't know if there's really a one-size prescription for pushup form.

you're hearing this from someone who's rarely managed to do a full one, just so you know :tongue: when i do work on them, i concentrate mostly on controlling my shoulderblades and keeping them stable, because that's probably my personal weak spot. i do find that if the left one wanders, then that arm and elbow tend to follow, so there may be a relationship.

i'll also say that it's REALLY hard to manage your shoulders through any exercise that's too heavy for their current level of strength. i personally think it's better to lighten up and try to train them within 'comfortable' range of effort, rather than making great big demands and hoping that they'll catch up.
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    OP... you may be double jointed. I am and my elbows do this as well when doing push ups. It really stresses the joint and I have a difficult time with correct form.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Body in straight plank, feet/legs together on toes, head and arms in an arrow formation, arms/elbows close to (almost touching) your torso, full press w/your chest touching the floor at the bottom and full extension of your arms at the top.

Not to be sexist but for women w/larger breasts, only touching them to the floor would probably NOT be a full press; pressing until no further compression can be felt may be required to achieve a full press.

There's no reason to touch the floor.... Bringing arms to 90 degrees/parallel to ground is quite sufficient.

One factor not mentioned is down isn't straight down... it's down and forward. Most people who haven't done many pushups end up with poor form/structure because they try to go straight down/up vs down/forward up/back.

Also, again, there's no reason to have your feet locked together, it doesn't enhance the pushup or the plank.
  • lizkharvey
    lizkharvey Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    jak1958 wrote: »
    OP... you may be double jointed. I am and my elbows do this as well when doing push ups. It really stresses the joint and I have a difficult time with correct form.

Yes that was something my boyfriend said. It's my arm twisting out and when bf says to face it inward, it's really difficult for me and kind of hurts. But perhaps it hurts because my arm isn't used to being in the correct position?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

There's no reason to touch the floor.... Bringing arms to 90 degrees/parallel to ground is quite sufficient.

One factor not mentioned is down isn't straight down... it's down and forward. Most people who haven't done many pushups end up with poor form/structure because they try to go straight down/up vs down/forward up/back.

Also, again, there's no reason to have your feet locked together, it doesn't enhance the pushup or the plank.

The OP was asking what the "correct" way to do a pushup was and what I was describing was an IDEAL pushup with STRICT FORM.

Of course, few people do such a pushup. However, if you do not lower your chest to the floor you are NOT doing a pushup through the FULL (and objectively measurable) RANGE OF MOTION and are not getting the full benefit of the exercise.

Too many people SHORT ARM the pushup and those who do are simply cheating. It is more difficult to do a full range pushup and people don't do it that way either because they can't do it or because they think that claiming that they can do a higher # of pushups is better than fewer. They aren't cheating anyone other than themselves.

As for foot placement, the wider you spread your legs the more the weight is spread across your hips and reduces the engagement of your core. Check it out yourself. See if you don't feel greater core engagement w/your legs together than apart. You are reducing the effectiveness of the exercise by doing the exercise without keeping your feet/legs close together. So, it is better to keep them together than not.

That said, do them whatever way you please, but don't fool yourself. There is only ONE way to do a pushup with STRICT FORM and it's the way that I've described.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm aware of a bunch of ways to do pushups. Nobody ever told me what is 'the correct' way. If you're looking to pass a military test, then talk to those guys as they have one way they like it done.

@OP: If I understood you correctly her elbows are flaring out when doing the pushup. That means your triceps are weak. If you do some tricep isolation exercises in the gym you will be able to bring your elbows closer in to your body? Why does that matter? Because it will also allow you to engage your latisimus dorsi muscles (large back muscles) and make the pushup into more of a compound muscle exercise in which the work is distributed between pectoralis, triceps, latisimus dorsi and deltoids. That will buy your two things, shoulder safety and it can put 60 lbs on your bench and if you box, enable you to have a much more powerful and explosive cross. But you'll have to develop one muscle, your triceps, first. What you are doing now I consider a more advanced kind of pushup that serves to isolate your anterior deltoids. Fine if that's what you want to work, but don't use that form trying to bench heavy or you'll risk a shoulder injury.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

Um, no. Ouch. Think about doing that with your balls. Yeah, no thanks, that's just painful
  • stanmann571
    Options

The OP was asking what the "correct" way to do a pushup was and what I was describing was an IDEAL pushup with STRICT FORM.

Of course, few people do such a pushup. However, if you do not lower your chest to the floor you are NOT doing a pushup through the FULL (and objectively measurable) RANGE OF MOTION and are not getting the full benefit of the exercise.

Too many people SHORT ARM the pushup and those who do are simply cheating. It is more difficult to do a full range pushup and people don't do it that way either because they can't do it or because they think that claiming that they can do a higher # of pushups is better than fewer. They aren't cheating anyone other than themselves.

As for foot placement, the wider you spread your legs the more the weight is spread across your hips and reduces the engagement of your core. Check it out yourself. See if you don't feel greater core engagement w/your legs together than apart. You are reducing the effectiveness of the exercise by doing the exercise without keeping your feet/legs close together. So, it is better to keep them together than not.

That said, do them whatever way you please, but don't fool yourself. There is only ONE way to do a pushup with STRICT FORM and it's the way that I've described.

A "CORRECT" Pushup is to parallel. Not to ground.

There is only one way to do pushups. And that is the military standard.

You may do whatever you like, but a correct pushup is done to the standard. With a name like sgt, I'd think you'd know that.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

A "CORRECT" Pushup is to parallel. Not to ground.

There is only one way to do pushups. And that is the military standard.

You may do whatever you like, but a correct pushup is done to the standard. With a name like sgt, I'd think you'd know that.

That's funny. Only one way to do a push up
  • stanmann571
    Options
    http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/MCBUL 6100 DTD 15DEC16.pdf?ver=2016-12-27-125044-450
    Push-ups
    (1) This is a two minute timed event and can be conducted either indoors or outdoors.
    (2) Sweatshirts will be removed during the conduct of the push-up event to observe full extension of the arms and upper arms (above the elbow) parallel to the deck.
    (3) The preparatory command is “Ready” and the execute command is “Begin.”
    (4) On the command “Ready” the Marine will assume the front-leaning rest position by placing the hands in a comfortable position on the deck. The feet may be together or 12 inches apart (measured between the feet) but may not be crossed. When viewed from the side, the body should form a generally straight line from the shoulders to the ankles.

http://www.apd.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/fm7_22.pdf
    “THE PUSH-UP EVENT MEASURES THE ENDURANCE OF THE CHEST,
    SHOULDER, AND TRICEPS MUSCLES. ON THE COMMAND, ‘GET SET’, ASSUME THE
    FRONT-LEANING REST POSITION BY PLACING YOUR HANDS WHERE THEY ARE
    COMFORTABLE FOR YOU. YOUR FEET MAY BE TOGETHER OR UP TO 12 INCHES
    APART (MEASURED BETWEEN THE FEET). WHEN VIEWED FROM THE SIDE, YOUR
    BODY SHOULD FORM A GENERALLY STRAIGHT LINE FROM YOUR SHOULDERS TO
    YOUR ANKLES. ON THE COMMAND ‘GO’, BEGIN THE PUSH-UP BY BENDING YOUR
    ELBOWS AND LOWERING YOUR ENTIRE BODY AS A SINGLE UNIT UNTIL YOUR
    UPPER ARMS ARE AT LEAST PARALLEL TO THE GROUND. THEN, RETURN TO THE
    STARTING POSITION BY RAISING YOUR ENTIRE BODY UNTIL YOUR ARMS ARE
    FULLY EXTENDED. YOUR BODY MUST REMAIN RIGID IN A GENERALLY STRAIGHT
    LINE AND MOVE AS A UNIT WHILE PERFORMING EACH REPETITION. AT THE END OF
    EACH REPETITION, THE SCORER WILL STATE THE NUMBER OF REPETITIONS YOU
    HAVE COMPLETED CORRECTLY. IF YOU FAIL TO KEEP YOUR BODY GENERALLY
    STRAIGHT, TO LOWER YOUR WHOLE BODY UNTIL YOUR UPPER ARMS ARE AT
    LEAST PARALLEL TO THE GROUND, OR TO EXTEND YOUR ARMS COMPLETELY,
    THAT REPETITION WILL NOT COUNT, AND THE SCORER WILL REPEAT THE NUMBER
    OF THE LAST CORRECTLY PERFORMED REPETITION.”
    “IF YOU FAIL TO PERFORM THE FIRST 10 PUSH-UPS CORRECTLY, THE
    SCORER WILL TELL YOU TO GO TO YOUR KNEES AND WILL EXPLAIN YOUR
    DEFICIENCIES. YOU WILL THEN BE SENT TO THE END OF THE LINE TO BE
    RETESTED. AFTER THE FIRST 10 PUSH-UPS HAVE BEEN PERFORMED AND
    COUNTED, NO RESTARTS ARE ALLOWED. THE TEST WILL CONTINUE, AND ANY
    INCORRECTLY PERFORMED PUSH-UPS WILL NOT BE COUNTED. AN ALTERED,
    FRONT-LEANING REST POSITION IS THE ONLY AUTHORIZED REST POSITION. THAT
    IS, YOU MAY SAG IN THE MIDDLE OR FLEX YOUR BACK. WHEN FLEXING YOUR
    BACK, YOU MAY BEND YOUR KNEES, BUT NOT TO SUCH AN EXTENT THAT YOU ARE
    SUPPORTING MOST OF YOUR BODY WEIGHT WITH YOUR LEGS. IF THIS OCCURS,
    YOUR PERFORMANCE WILL BE TERMINATED. YOU MUST RETURN TO, AND PAUSE
    IN, THE CORRECT STARTING POSITION BEFORE CONTINUING. IF YOU REST ON THE
    GROUND OR RAISE EITHER HAND OR FOOT FROM THE GROUND, YOUR
    PERFORMANCE WILL BE TERMINATED. YOU MAY REPOSITION YOUR HANDS
    AND/OR FEET DURING THE EVENT AS LONG AS THEY REMAIN IN CONTACT WITH
    THE GROUND AT ALL TIMES. CORRECT PERFORMANCE IS IMPORTANT. YOU WILL
    HAVE TWO MINUTES IN WHICH TO DO AS MANY PUSH-UPS AS YOU CAN. WATCH
    THIS DEMONSTRATION.”

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afi36-2905/afi36-2905.pdf
    3.8.2.3. Starting Position. The member will begin in the starting position with hands slightly wider than shoulder width apart, palms or fists on the floor with arms fully extended and the body in a straight line from head to heel. The feet may be no more than 12 inches apart. The member may rest in the up position only. The member may remove their hands or feet from the floor, or bridge or bow their back, but only in the up/rest position. The body should maintain a rigid form from head to heel. The feet may not be supported or braced (e.g., no crossing of the feet).
    3.8.2.4. Complete Push-up. From the starting position (elbows extended), the member will lower the body to the ground until the upper arm is at least parallel to the floor (elbow bent at least 90 degrees or less) before pushing back up to the starting position (the chest may touch but not rest on or bounce off the floor). The member completes one full push-up after returning to the starting position with elbows fully extended. It is important to monitor the member’s form and make sure the body does not bow at the waist as the member tires. The body must remain rigid during the assessment (the back must remain straight unless resting). Incorrect push-ups (e.g., member does not lower body until upper arm is at least parallel to the floor, member does not fully extend elbows when returning to starting position, body bows at the waist, etc.) will not be counted. If an incorrect push-up is performed, assessor will repeat the number of the last correct push-up and explain what is being done incorrectly. Member may rest in the up position only. If member rests in the down position with their body on the ground, the push-up component of the test will be terminated.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/Guide 5- Physical Readiness Test 2016.pdf
    Push-up procedures:
    (1) Member will begin in leaning rest position on the deck so that body forms a straight line through the shoulders, back, buttocks, and legs. Weight is supported only with the toes and palm of the hands. Feet shall not be in contact with the bulkhead or other vertical support surface.
    (2) Arms are to be straight with palms flat on the deck, directly under the shoulders or slightly wider than shoulder width.
    (3) CFL/ACFL will announce the start as well as 15-second intervals until
    the 2 minutes have elapsed.
    (4) Member shall lower entire body until arms bend to at least 90
    degrees while keeping shoulders, back, buttocks, and legs aligned and parallel to the deck.
    (5) Member pushes entire body upward and returns to starting position
    ensuring arms are fully extended, without locking elbows.
    (6) Member may rest only in the up position maintaining a straight line with
    shoulders, back, buttocks and legs.
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    lizkharvey wrote: »
    jak1958 wrote: »

Yes that was something my boyfriend said. It's my arm twisting out and when bf says to face it inward, it's really difficult for me and kind of hurts. But perhaps it hurts because my arm isn't used to being in the correct position?

Yes, this exactly. When my palms are down the inside of my elbows turn forward facing my hands. It's actually a ligament issue /hyperextending. Swiveling to the correct position feels awkward. Because of the stress on the joint I've never mastered it but perhaps with time and practice you will!
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'd argue the correct way to do any exercise is to do it with full range of motion.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    I'd argue the correct way to do any exercise is to do it with full range of motion.

Define "full range of motion" Does it include hyperextension? Which, for the record is why all 3 services have gone to "parallel". Going all the way to ground requires hyperextension for some body shapes.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Define "full range of motion" Does it include hyperextension? Which, for the record is why all 3 services have gone to "parallel". Going all the way to ground requires hyperextension for some body shapes.

Hyperextention is movement beyond normal range of motion.
    What gets hyperextended? What body shapes?
  • stanmann571
    Options

Hyperextention is movement beyond normal range of motion.
    What gets hyperextended? What body shapes?

Shoulders mostly
  • MikeinNOLA
    MikeinNOLA Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Lay on the ground with your hands placed under your armpits. Pull your elbows in towards your torso so your elbows are along your ribs. Maintain and tight core and press the ground away from you, so your shoulders, hips and legs rise together, keep those elbows near your torso. If this is difficult, keep your knees on the ground. Avoid "worming" yourself off the ground.