Binging on Fruit?!

Options
Hey! I'm fairly new to MFP and since I've been logging calories, I realized that I eat way too much fruit. I used to binge on junk food and then decided to be healthier so I started eating fruit. But it seems like too much fruit isn't good either! Any tips? Would love some support!

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Apples? I've never been able to eat more than 1 at one sitting. Same with avocados(they are a fruit) Are you using canned fruit? Dried fruit snacks?
  • veganhan1234
    veganhan1234 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat fresh fruit. Bananas, mangos, strawberries, Apple's, peaches, nectarines, kiwis. All fruits are so high in sugar. Sucks sometimes.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Even 3 small bananas are only 300 calories, and I would be full after that. I would not call that a binge. Open your diary so we can see what you are doing.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sugar isn't bad for you, especially naturally occurring sugars like in fruit. If you're not noticing health effects and are under your calories, I really wouldn't worry.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Too many whole foods are the least of most peoples' problems. I'd say that if you're going to eat carbs, first eat vegetables, then fruit and grains etc, then go right to ice cream, so I'd say you're doing just fine.

If you want to tighten up your macros that's great, but I wouldn't worry too much over it. Many people will say it doesn't matter where you get your carbs. I'm not in that camp, but it just puts it in perspective a bit. I suppose you could switch to pop? :wink:
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hey! I'm fairly new to MFP and since I've been logging calories, I realized that I eat way too much fruit. I used to binge on junk food and then decided to be healthier so I started eating fruit. But it seems like too much fruit isn't good either! Any tips? Would love some support!

Is eating fruit causing you to go over your calorie allowance? Is fruit crowding out enough variety of food in general to meet your macro/micro nutrient quotas? Do you have a medical condition that makes eating fruit a problem? If the answer is no to these questions, I sure don't see a problem :)

edited for clarity
  • veganhan1234
    Options
    Even 3 small bananas are only 300 calories, and I would be full after that. I would not call that a binge. Open your diary so we can see what you are doing.

How do I open my diary?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    When you say you eat too much, how much is too much? Are you also getting enough of other foods without going over on calories? Are you getting enough protein and fat?
  • veganhan1234
    Options
    When you say you eat too much, how much is too much? Are you also getting enough of other foods without going over on calories? Are you getting enough protein and fat?

The fruit usually causes me to go over calories. Or I'll meet calories from the fruit and then I won't want to eat real food because I've already used up my calories for the day. But I'll still be hungry...
  • veganhan1234
    Options
    That's a great idea Malibu927, thanks!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Plan your eating for the day. Try prelogging to make sure you are going to meet your goals. If you see filling up on fruit leaves you lacking protein and fats maybe it will be easier to limit it.
    Eat other foods before filling up on fruit.
    Have fruit along with other foods instead of fruit alone.
    Don't buy so much fruit at once or shop as often. Figure out what a reasonable amount for the week would be and just buy that amount. When it is gone you wait until next week to buy more.
    Cut your fruit up and eat it slowly. Savor the fruit pieces

It is just learning to moderate.
  • veganhan1234
    Options
    Yeah, I think you're right. I definitely buy too much fruit. I'll have to cut down.
  • managematics
    managematics Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Not all fruits are the same. It is easy to just keep popping grape after grape in your mouth and they're pretty high in sugar. Cherries at least take a bit more time to eat as you navigate the pits (they also cost more which might cause one to buy fewer). I really like having apples around when I feel the need to eat something. I find it hard to eat too many apples, but I'm pretty big and have a pretty high calorie budget to play with.

Find ways to keep your pace slowed. Find ways to focus on lower calorie fruits. Try substituting sweeter fruits like carrots and bell peppers. Practice mindful eating, it's a great way to slow down and it's also a great way to appreciate how delicious things are, and even the sweetness in the case of carrots and peppers. It might be enough begin foregoing some fruits.